Down Syndrome Test

durianfan

i went for my OSCAR test at TMC yesterday....now waiting for results....anyone knows whether TMC will call us to inform us of result or they will send the result bck to our gynae?
Either the Gynae or his/her nurse will call you to inform the result once they received it.

bunny mummy

hi ladyluck

if yr gynae is the one who sent you to thomson for oscar, then gynae will give you the result. my gynae nurse called to inform me. usually the thomson med gynae will also tell you what the results are. just that probably you'll wont be able to digest so much of the info. it took me a while to understand what he meant, then later my gynae nurse call plus my follow up appt w my own gynae that clarified the results.

my gynae also sent me to camden med for genetic test. i've been twice to both thomson & camden, will be going for another different test at thomson next wk, plus boold & glucose test. going to be a long day affair.

petitemum

Hi All,

How is the amnio test like? is it a very painful procedure? I m just new here and just got preg. I am worried for everything now.

Thank u all..

hi ladyluck

if yr gynae is the one who sent you to thomson for oscar, then gynae will give you the result. my gynae nurse called to inform me. usually the thomson med gynae will also tell you what the results are. just that probably you'll wont be able to digest so much of the info. it took me a while to understand what he meant, then later my gynae nurse call plus my follow up appt w my own gynae that clarified the results.

my gynae also sent me to camden med for genetic test. i've been twice to both thomson & camden, will be going for another different test at thomson next wk, plus boold & glucose test. going to be a long day affair.
hi....i got my oscar test results....its normal :)

my results was faxed bck to my gynae's clinic on the same day i did the test....

petitemum

Hi Lekdao,

May I know how is amniocentesis test procedure? Is it a painful procedure? Both me and my hubby have thalessemia and might need to go for the test . :( Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Everyone will get worrys after hearing the news, so do I. Oscar show high rish does not mean there is some chromosomal abnormalities.
It really depends on you and your hubby whether to do the amniocentesis test, there is 1% chance of misscarriage if the test is done. You need to be rest on bed for at least 3 days after the test.

I am like you, worry when my oscar test shown high risk and i went for the amniocentesis test after talking to my sis-in-law (who did the amnio. test too). I went ahead with the test because i dun wan to keep worrying throughout the rest of the pregnancy.

Mayb u can talk to your family or hv a 2nd opinion before you decide to go for the amnio. test

Take care

lekdao

Hi Lekdao,

May I know how is amniocentesis test procedure? Is it a painful procedure? Both me and my hubby have thalessemia and might need to go for the test . :( Thanks.

The procedure is very simple and fast, it lasted less then 30 mins and no pain after the pain killer jab.

my gynase 1st do a scan to check the position of the baby. Follow by gave me a pain killer jab near the belly button, after the jab he used a syringe with needle poke into my stomach to draw the amnio fluid. He will check the baby position again before giving the jab and before poking the needle to draw fluid. This is to make sure the baby did not change its position/move.

Take care

pixie

Ratio is determined by the age of the mother.
If you were to do a google (search on the net), you can get the ratios for various age and range that's considered normal.

Hi all,

My gynae ask to go for OSCAR test at Thomson, but after i check it's seem to be KK is cheaper than Thomson.
In addition, there's lot of different scan , not sure we can just choose the medical centre we want to do the test ?
Or we must follow gynae refferring to that particular medical center ?

Anyone can share? tks.

Carisella

Since you already decided to get a private gynae, (presumably knowing the cost of private and subsidized), why don't you just follow what your gynae has said and not worry about the other test? Do the test that your gynae has advised you to do and don't worry about the other test.

IIRC, TMC has a shorter waiting time ... My colleague already keep complaining to me that their appt and scans at KKH takes 3 to 3 hours just waiting. And my experience at TMC was wonderful too :)