Dr Paul Tseng - TLC (in TMC)

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
I am laughing about how many of us think he's good looking! *giggle*

not sure about the Chinese... Zhong.. you may want to check with his nurses.

Gaill, you may want to speak to Eunice about this and explain that you'd like to meet up with Paul. I think he's got the policy in place to minimise the politics/tension within their clinic. The other 'nice' gynae, I know of is FM Lai. He's not eye candy but is very experienced and friendly too. His clinic is at Camdian Medical.

yunzz

Hi gals & mummies....
does anyone know how is Dr Paul's stitches? is he good?
i am considering to have cesarean and looking for a gynae whoe is exprienced at it and do nice stitches..
thanks

ping26

I delivered at Mt Alvernia Hospital with Dr Paul on 18 Apr 2009.

Baby was overdue by almost a week. Basically there were almost no signs of "being due". After discussion, Dr Paul suggested to induce cos he's a very pro-natural doc. In his words, "at least, must try". My husband & I were quite concerned abt risk of meconium poisoning* & other risks of waiting it out. Since my family has a history of unco-operative cervixes (can't dilate/slow dilation), I thought of going c-section to save pain & costs. Dr Paul was quietly confident that I could deliver naturally so I thought just give it a shot.

*meconium poisoning - overdue babies tend to accumulate more of this meconium or 1st stools. When babies are stressed during delivery, they may pass motion & inhale that into their lungs, thereby causing lung infection.

I have a temperamental cervix. Without epidural, nurses & even Dr Paul had difficulty putting their fingers down there to measure dilation.

Anyway, delivery took some 33-hr. Even with epidural & induction med, dilation took like 1 cm per two hours! I used 5.5 vials of epidural & many many bags of drips.

haiz, I almost had a c-section cos even after waiting so long, baby was in wrong position - too high (not engaged) & facing front, & maybe a bit big (53 cm & 3.35 kg) for my size.

Dr Paul popped in & out to check on me, usu 7-8 am, lunch, night/wee hours. I think he rushed thro his clinic apt to deliver baby on 18 Apr (Sat). At that point, he gently suggested trying pushing; otherwise, we would have to go for c-section. Waterbag had burst some 18 hrs ago.

Fortunately, Dr Paul managed to get baby out with vacuum and it helped that baby heartbeat was strong & stable until the last 2-3 hrs (dropping to 105-120s, wider fluctuation).

All in, I had a good time at Mt Alvernia Hospital. Delivery was painless but I was severely "water-logged" & numbed. Dr Paul okayed eating so I munched on light meals thro out the 1st 28hrs. I could tell that the nurses were quite concerned abt my eating & the length of delivery. But I had to eat cos of my gastric problem otherwise, I may be too weak, foaming at the mouth or pop some antacids/meds. On 18 Apr, I fasted fr 6 am onwards in case I had to go for c-section.

Post delivery was much tougher - I had this rare side-effect, epidural headache, & very high blood pressure. It felt like a hammer knocking on all parts of my head. THROBBING. I'm not sure if it was like a severe migraine headache. I thought I was going to have a stroke. Husband left as baby was sent to NICU for obsn. Nurses left after cleaning up. I was alone in ward. I couldn't find the button & had to scream for help. Nurses didn't know what to do. Dr Paul had left by then.

What I like abt Dr Paul is that he sometimes doesn't reveal too much to avoid stressing me, e.g. like dilation being stuck at 1.5 cm for the longest time. He has a nice way of delivering not-so-good news. On hindsight, I think he knew delivery was going to take more than 24 hrs, so he okayed eating. Of course, the patient has to trust her doc. His decisions are based on welfare of both mum & baby. Baby was in good shape thro' most of the pregnancy. Heartbeat was usu 150-160s.

Apt are usu over in less than 5-min events. Dr Paul's friendly but not-too-personal style may not suit very anxious mothers. For special cases like mine, effective communication will be helpful. His fees are abt $1500-2300 (natural w assist) which are very reasonable as he is a competent & experienced doctor. Looks & extras like doulas are not impt. Given my low pain tolerance & tight muscles, I'll take an even longer time to recover from c-section. I may not be able to hold or take proper care of my baby.

PS.
If I had known delivery would take this long, I would have opted for TMC even with its horrible parking system. Dr Paul would have been able to check on me more often.

kaerb

Hello everyone,

I know this post is alil dated.. but would like to ask if anyone recently delivered with Dr Paul Tseng? What are his delivery fees like? I am sort of considering to see him as I heard he's pro-natural...

ethanpauline

Hi, Paul delivery charges range between $1500-1800 ... This is actual day delivery... Normal consolation range from $50-120 depend on if you have ultra sound done ... He doesn't have a package though...
But he is very very pro natural and good! I had a
Tough labor too with baby in wrong position but I still
Managed a normal delivery...
Added point is he is pretty charming hah...

cmeilim

i highly recommend Paul. he's just superb. very accurate with his diagnosis and estimation of when i would be fully dilated and all....he stayed up on a saturday late nite to monitor my situation with the delivery ward staff till 2.30am, when he called the ward again and get them to check on me, and bingo, i was indeed ready at that time. allowed my body to take its time for birthing while keeping within safe parameters. despite a 44hr labour since water bags broke, i still managed natural delivery. i have never heard of anyone else who went thru labour for so long and survived without going under the knife. he didn't even need to do episotomy for me, and stitched my natural tear up really well. best of all, he didn't leave TMC after settling me at about 6-plus, but was back in my ward to see me at 8am.

i am looking forward to birthing my second boy with him again very soon! #1 was late by 9 days and he was willing to wait further had the water bag not broke. i am reaching edd tmr for #2 and it looks like #2 will be so-called late again. =)

boredmtb

I am at 38weeks today and so glad i switched to Dr Paul this afternoon cos my female gynae gave me a bad experience yesterday.... He is so assuring and kind.. although he just did a physical tummy check for me without scanning, he could tell my baby's estimated weight. I am so amazed cos my ex-gynae just scanned my baby's weight yesterday and based on the machine, baby is now 3kg. Dr Paul told me my baby's estimated weight is now 2.9-3.1kg without me telling him yesterday's scan.. Thumbs up!!! So looking forward to my due date!!!

sallysally

Happy for you that you have found a gynae that you are comfortable with.

I'm so glad to hear yet another positive feedback on Dr Paul as I have chosen him as my gynae as well. Have only met him once on my 11 week and he gave him a very good impression. Looks forward to seeing him again on 4 Aug.

May you have a smooth delivery :)

I am at 38weeks today and so glad i switched to Dr Paul this afternoon cos my female gynae gave me a bad experience yesterday.... He is so assuring and kind.. although he just did a physical tummy check for me without scanning, he could tell my baby's estimated weight. I am so amazed cos my ex-gynae just scanned my baby's weight yesterday and based on the machine, baby is now 3kg. Dr Paul told me my baby's estimated weight is now 2.9-3.1kg without me telling him yesterday's scan.. Thumbs up!!! So looking forward to my due date!!!

kaylasmomma

hello all!

i chanced upon this thread and i just felt compelled to put in a good word for dr.paul... he delivered my daughter in january :) natural birth after 24 hours of labor!

i've to say, i like that he's very supportive (went to him for a work up after we had a miscarriage with our first pregnancy and respected that the hubby and I would want to try naturally before any other intervention), very professional, encouraging, pro-natural birth and well, that he's nice to look at... even my mother's crushing on him! hihi!

don't remember how many times he checked in on me while i was in labor, i was high with epidural :p all i remember now is that it was pretty busy that day and I was told by the nurse he had quite a number of patients to assist yet he never failed to look so collected and his pleasant smile was like a calming drug itself :)

i must've been his last patient for the day... he has changed to tee and khakis :)

anyway, he's also an excellent coach... his directions as to how to properly push were very clear... Thought he sounded like an airline pilot when he was giving instructions :p he also engaged the hubby a lot :)

finally, the stitches...splendid! highly commendable the hubby says! healed quick and t'was as if nothing happened ;)

both the hubby and i recommend him and we will definitely go back to him should we decide for a second one!

sandymoo10

Hi,

Im not sure if this thread is still active..im looking at changint o paul tseng, have heard great comments so far...

May I know his current charges? and I can see that if delivery is done at TMC it's better cuz he can check in on you since his clinic is at TMC but I am planning to deliver at Mt A. and read one 1 thread that he missed the delivery..and well yeah..quite sad cuz u pay so much for his delivery on that date and he's not there..but to stitch u up..and poof gone..hmmm...

I am pro natural and that's more impt. I guess but would like to hear from those who have him at gynae and deliver at Mt A.

Thanks.. Im 21 weeks, am thinking of switching so would like to know soon..thanks..

Zouere

Hi Mummies, I would like to switch to Dr. Paul too, given that my current gynae is not too in line with my birthing wishes, and even state that I should switch to Dr. Paul if I wish to go beyond by edd without induction. But I'm 35wks now, not sure if its too late? My gynae also state that Dr. Paul will ask you to sign a letter stating that its parents' own responsibility for waiting beyond edd, just in case its stillborn, so that its not his responsibility... Is that true? Hope to get some advice real soon!

kaerb

I was overdue by 1 week.. did not get any pressure from Dr Paul to induce neither did he ask me to sign any papers of any sort. Like the definition, EDD is estimated due date.. who's to say the baby is supposed to come out on that date? Talk to baby constantly, he knows when is the best time to come out. Don't rush him.. its all in God's hands.

Zouere

Hi Kaerb, thanks for sharing your experience. So how many hours did you labor for, and its all natural without any medical interventions?

kaerb

Monday early morning started extreme labour pains (ok maybe I had low threshold of pain as I was only dilated 1cm but the pain was like someone breaking a piano over my back). Went to TMC 4am I think to check, and only found out 1cm dilated. Nurse refuse to let me go and want me to admit.. but I requested her to call Dr Paul and then Dr Paul confirm that I do not wish to be induced or pressured by unnecessary medical intervention so she finally release me. Then pain continued to Tuesday late afternoon, I thought maybe should be time already coz it was really really painful but unfortunately after checking in to the hospital, I was still 1cm. The nurse let me go as well. Then finally on Wednesday 3am I cannot withstand the pain anymore, finally admitted to TMC but upon checking I was only ... 1.5 cm.. Can die really.. No nurse pressured me into any inducement or pain relief (as per my birth plan) but finally I gave in and requested gas (did not help a single bit) then epidural at around 5/6am (administered by Dr Paul's equally handsome brother). Then dilation started to happen and I finally gave birth naturally at 4pm and baby came in weighing 4.1kg.

It is really important to get your doctor, be it Dr Paul or someone else, to understand and respect your wishes but without compromising your health. The doctor should be able to balance medical reasons against patient's wishes and not unnecesarily push mothers into unnecessary medical procedures/medications. That was why I changed my doctor to Dr Paul in my 3rd trimester. He was someone that really understood and respected our wishes. I am currently preggers with NO. 2 and will be looking forward to a pleasant delivery by Dr Paul again (but not looking forward to the 3 day labour pain!!!)

Zouere

omg! 3 days labor!!! hm, sounds like Dr. Paul is really who I need now, but I just called his clinic, apparently, he's not available until 1st Sept! My edd 14th... i guess its probably too late for me to check in with Dr. Paul now, but if I ever have no. 2, I think I'll head straight there. Thanks for sharing, and hope your no. 2 will have way shorter labor this time! :)

sandymoo10

hi all,

I was w Dr paul, no i did was not sked to sign anything. I delivered on my EDD. I have 5 day labour pains...statrt 17may...delivered 21 May.. Baby was in posterior.. If I had a doula, wewld have done polar bear positions to try turn baby... The doula would have figured bb was in malposition.. me n hubby though went for the antenatal didn't realies the tell take signs of posterior even after reading and learning abt the symtoms..hahaha..
could have saved me the long labour...
my contractions were only evening 7-8pm til morn 8-9am. and stopped..
i was dilated 2cm 19May, laboured at home 1 more day. 20 May night checked myself in, I was 4cm. By next morn 7am- i was 8cm.
everything was prepared for me to deliver already, Drs boots gowns all in place hanging.. But it stalled at 8cm for thelongest time.
we wanted to go as naturalas poss. I practiced Hypno birthing breathing..it helped me LOADS.. w/o it i dun think i couldhave surviced the 5day longlabour.
by 10am, nurse asked if want to break water bag. we said no. but asked to wait it out a little longer. den we asked to call Dr Paul. He said up to us, we can wait ano 2 hrs and see how. so by 1pm, still no dilation, Dr paul came to visit at lunch hour, he advsed again, but tol him we'll try wait abit longer..said ok... so he cam in again atfer his clinic hrs abt 4plus, it was then we decided to take his advise to AROM.. and since contractions were gonna be alittle stronger I asked for gas(YES IT DOES NOT WORK-forget abt using the DAMN GAS.. I didnt use my Hypnobreathing and it screwed my mind. i was freaking out...so after like 20 min,I gave it up and went back to my hynobirthing breathing...anyway, so we did AROM, and hoping for dilation in the next 2 hrs.. still nothing..so by abt 6pm, he came in to seeus again..and immediately I told him cut me up! haha...I was too tiredand didnt know if i could wait it out and then push...but he said no no, u can have ur normal birth...suggested us to have synto drip to further dilate cuz the womb tired after labouring 5days..and have epi done to relax my body for the dilation..so we did...i gave in to EPI..but it was part of our birth plan anyway, plan D. w Epi, within the next 15 min even before it could take full effect... I dilated the last 2 cm! Hallelujiah...hahah...so I asked to turn off the epi totally.. And yes his Brother came todo the Epi..haha...dejavu...somehow when the nurse told me Dr pauls bro gng to do the epi i was like..this is familiar..hahaha...hmm, maybe it was meant to be...
anyway, i pused for an hour and 15 w not much prgr3ess...7pm plus already..nurse suggested hae to vacuum...i was heart boken...cried but just said ok, call dr paul and get baby out...i din want bby gng into distress and end up csect...so that was what we did. caleld for Dr paul and he came...He didn't use the vacuum!!! I delivered normally with natural tearing...No vacuum!
Dr paul gave me what I wanted!! and am so happy with him.. Baby came out after 3-4 pushes when he came..he just asked me to push when i felt the sensation. he pushed down somewhere and i just felt the urge..so yeah...suddenly had the energy to push..n bb came out...haha...he didnt know bb was posterior too til after the 2-3push..haha...funny...i lifted the sheet the covered my thighs to see bb arrive..when he said daddy come and see the head is coming.. i pulled the e cloth..haha..nurse pulled it back but he said it's ok..let her see...
yeah...wa a good irth though very very long...haha...almost 24 hrs in the suite...

kaerb

Hi Sandy,

I attended Hypnobirthing classes too, but all my breathing exercises sort of went out of the window when I started feeling the pain of the surges. Plus at one point one of the nurses helping me during the delivery was not very encouraging, she kept on saying "Your way of pushing is wrong, I'm not seeing anything.. U need to hold your breath!!!" Anyways, after reading your post, I did not know I can ask for the epi to be turned off!!! How silly of me.. This time need to remember to ask them to turn off the epi during the pushing phase. If I can feel the surges, perhaps it will be easier for me to breathe the baby down instead of holding my breath, pushing till my eyeballs nearly popped out yet do not know if I am actually pushing anything or not since.. the epi really numbed me completely down there.

I suspected my baby was in posterior position too, that explains the back labour and intense back breaking pains. I am praying hard this time around, I can turn the baby's position and I am considering to rent the TENS machine to manage the back pains.

Zouere

Sandy, congrats! Your birth story sounds wonderful, and its great you manage to get what YOU want eventually! I think there should be more doctors like Dr. Paul Tseng... Can I just ask, for all the gas, synto, epi requested at the time, were they all charged ala carte basis? Did you deliver at Thomson?

sandymoo10

Sandy, congrats! Your birth story sounds wonderful, and its great you manage to get what YOU want eventually! I think there should be more doctors like Dr. Paul Tseng... Can I just ask, for all the gas, synto, epi requested at the time, were they all charged ala carte basis? Did you deliver at Thomson?
E gas is already included in e maternity package..i was told.but in my itemized billing they had e cost shown.so if i didn't use dunno if they'll still charge..since they said was included..maybe cuz i asked for itemized cost breakdown. I delivered at MAH. Epi synto is all charged ala carte..if you require more epi after e first dose, they'll charge additional too. But i didn't pay extra cuz i turned mine off almost right after cuz i wanted to feel e urge to push,its actually a nice feeling-e urge i mean-i didn't feel much cuz e epi word off abit too slowly..but when i was just when doc came to help deliver baby, it was prob worn off at 30percent so i could feel just that little. Wish i could feel more of e urge but Dr Paul has special fingers-not sure what he pressed on but it made me feel a different line of urge too, to push correctly.
I dint breathe baby down..i followed their typical bear down method..bad idea cuz i had piles after.. But i couldn't breathe baby down cuz my uterus was too weak plus e epi was on and wore down on slowly i couldn't feel how to push-Haha. That's why i immediately ask them to stop epi.
But they turned its up after delivery for e stitching..but again too slow to numb me i could feel e doc stitching me up. Haha..downside of turning down epi. Haha.but we were so into baby the stitching pain was nothing after e birth. Haha.

sandymoo10

E gas is already included in e maternity package..i was told.but in my itemized billing they had e cost shown.so if i didn't use dunno if they'll still charge..since they said was included..maybe cuz i asked for itemized cost breakdown. I delivered at MAH. Epi synto is all charged ala carte..if you require more epi after e first dose, they'll charge additional too. But i didn't pay extra cuz i turned mine off almost right after cuz i wanted to feel e urge to push,its actually a nice feeling-e urge i mean-i didn't feel much cuz e epi word off abit too slowly..but when i was just when doc came to help deliver baby, it was prob worn off at 30percent so i could feel just that little. Wish i could feel more of e urge but Dr Paul has special fingers-not sure what he pressed on but it made me feel a different line of urge too, to push correctly.
I dint breathe baby down..i followed their typical bear down method..bad idea cuz i had piles after.. But i couldn't breathe baby down cuz my uterus was too weak plus e epi was on and wore down on slowly i couldn't feel how to push-Haha. That's why i immediately ask them to stop epi.
But they turned its up after delivery for e stitching..but again too slow to numb me i could feel e doc stitching me up. Haha..downside of turning down epi. Haha.but we were so into baby the stitching pain was nothing after e birth. Haha.