Dr Selina Chua from Mt E

Hi, anyone has Dr Selina Chua as their gynae during pregnancy and delivery? Comments and feedback please? Does she has any anenatal package and from which week?How much is the package? Sorry mummies for the many questions. Thank you.

andrianie

Hi, anyone has Dr Selina Chua as their gynae during pregnancy and delivery? Comments and feedback please? Does she has any anenatal package and from which week?How much is the package? Sorry mummies for the many questions. Thank you.
2 of my cuzzins had Dr Selina Chua as their gynae. They vouch by her professionalism & experience. unfortunately another cuzzin of mine didnt find her suitable. Apparently, Dr Selina wasnt comforting to talk to (possibly due to the long queue outside her clinic) Anyways, my this cuzzin found Dr Chua Yang from Gleneagles to be better.

as for me, have yet to decide as well... hmmm...

Thank you for your info. I am also considering if I need to change gynae when I get preggy cause Mt E bills seem to be very steep. :)

akachan09

Hi!

My good friend recommended her to me for my 1st pregnancy 5 years ago. Her gynae fee was indeed expensive at that time and she did not like to talk much. I did not even get a pic of my scan at first visit. :(

woofy55

i was recommended to her by 2 of my frens and so highly spoken of her. but when my hubby and i visited her, we were quite disappointed as she doesn't seems very professional and find her very impatient. My hubby even felt that she find that I am stupid when I ask her to explain to me the steps of TTC. My current gynae explained to me w/o even me having to ask...

bloomingbelly

i was recommended to her by 2 of my friends and so highly spoken of her. but when my hubby and i visited her, we were quite disappointed as she doesn't seems very professional and find her very impatient. My hubby even felt that she find that I am stupid when I ask her to explain to me the steps of trying to concieve. My current gynae explained to me w/o even me having to ask...
We initially had Dr Chua and decided to change doctors because of the following reasons:

1. She treated us like school children: my husband hadn't read the brochure for the FTPS and instead of explaining and counseling us, she sent us out to "do our homework" and "come back in 10 minutes" when we had read it.

2. She interrupted us when we had any questions and scuffed as though I was an idiot when I asked her about whether it was safe to use certain over-the-counter medication during my pregnancy

3. Her staff is NOT well trained. In fact, they are not even trained nurses. They get external nurses to come in and draw the blood for the (totally overpriced) tests. Her staff are barely qualified to take blood pressure and calculate your weight gain.

4. I disliked the way her staff made me feel like a whale and insisted on weighing me TWICE in front of my husband because I had put on 5 kg in 6 weeks (I am a pregnant woman - these things happen) and looked at me with an open mouth like I was some sort of a freak show.

5. We did not appreciate the way she strategically scheduled our visits so we needed to come in more frequently than necessary to cover the markers between the scans and tests. The last time we went to see her, we were in our 18th week and she literally just read us our low risk test results (which she could have mailed to us) for the 12 week scan (that will be SGD120 thank you very much) and gave us a 5 minute scan (again SGD100 ka ching, ka ching for Dr Chua). She then told us we had to come back again in two weeks for the anomaly scan which of course is very expensive again.

6. She has a very unappetising habit of walking barefoot in her practice and sitting on her barefoot feet.

It is true that she comes across as stern. In my presonal opinion, she hides her insecurity behind arrogance (whcih is something a lot of professionals do). When I challenged her about her abruptness and that I take issue with being scolded like a school girl she got very flustered and suggested I leave the room and come back in when I was in a better mood. I told her my mood was perfectly fine and it wasn't personal and let's just continue with the consultation like adults.

Maybe she is used to having obedient little children as her patients, but I am used to being treated like an intelligent woman who takes responsibility for her health and likes to be involved in medical decisions about her body and her unborn child.

I am glad that I have now found a doctor who actually treats me like an adult.

iwan2noe

We initially had Dr Chua and decided to change doctors because of the following reasons:

1. She treated us like school children: my husband hadn't read the brochure for the FTPS and instead of explaining and counseling us, she sent us out to "do our homework" and "come back in 10 minutes" when we had read it.

2. She interrupted us when we had any questions and scuffed as though I was an idiot when I asked her about whether it was safe to use certain over-the-counter medication during my pregnancy

3. Her staff is NOT well trained. In fact, they are not even trained nurses. They get external nurses to come in and draw the blood for the (totally overpriced) tests. Her staff are barely qualified to take blood pressure and calculate your weight gain.

4. I disliked the way her staff made me feel like a whale and insisted on weighing me TWICE in front of my husband because I had put on 5 kg in 6 weeks (I am a pregnant woman - these things happen) and looked at me with an open mouth like I was some sort of a freak show.

5. We did not appreciate the way she strategically scheduled our visits so we needed to come in more frequently than necessary to cover the markers between the scans and tests. The last time we went to see her, we were in our 18th week and she literally just read us our low risk test results (which she could have mailed to us) for the 12 week scan (that will be SGD120 thank you very much) and gave us a 5 minute scan (again SGD100 ka ching, ka ching for Dr Chua). She then told us we had to come back again in two weeks for the anomaly scan which of course is very expensive again.

6. She has a very unappetising habit of walking barefoot in her practice and sitting on her barefoot feet.

It is true that she comes across as stern. In my presonal opinion, she hides her insecurity behind arrogance (whcih is something a lot of professionals do). When I challenged her about her abruptness and that I take issue with being scolded like a school girl she got very flustered and suggested I leave the room and come back in when I was in a better mood. I told her my mood was perfectly fine and it wasn't personal and let's just continue with the consultation like adults.

Maybe she is used to having obedient little children as her patients, but I am used to being treated like an intelligent woman who takes responsibility for her health and likes to be involved in medical decisions about her body and her unborn child.

Hi bloomingbelly,

I undertand how u feel. I visited her once for my PCOS with my hubby and we thought that she is only cold.Maybe you are right, she is insecure and mask it with her(i would say here in my encouter) coldness.
If I experience what u experience, I would def not be pleased either...

But most importantly, u must be comfortable with the Gynae b4 u do all the follow ups that follows the entire pregnancy process..

The current gyane i am with is the 3rd gynae which I have consulted b4 deciding to stay with him. Although he may be rushed in seeing his patients, but when it comes to questions, he will answer them and wont be rushed.
I think i attributed his rushness to the fact that he is popular and has alot of patients to see each day at his 2 clinics.

Take Care and I a am glad that you have found a suitable gynae u r comfortable with.

Wishing you a smooth and good healthy pregnancy :)

bloomingbelly

Hi bloomingbelly,

I undertand how you feel. I visited her once for my PCOS with my hubby and we thought that she is only cold.Maybe you are right, she is insecure and mask it with her(i would say here in my encouter) coldness.
If I experience what you experience, I would def not be pleased either...

But most importantly, you must be comfortable with the Gynae before you do all the follow ups that follows the entire pregnancy process..

The current gyane i am with is the 3rd gynae which I have consulted before deciding to stay with him. Although he may be rushed in seeing his patients, but when it comes to questions, he will answer them and wont be rushed.
I think i attributed his rushness to the fact that he is popular and has alot of patients to see each day at his 2 clinics.

Take Care and I a am glad that you have found a suitable gynae you are comfortable with.

Wishing you a smooth and good healthy pregnancy :)
Hi iwan2noe, thank you for your sweet response. Yes very happy with our current doctor. I didn't realise that people switch so much between doctors until they find the right one for them. I am glad I went on forums and found out that it's perfectly ok to do so.

Sabah

I had my first boy with Dr Selina in 2007. She was the most amazing doctor. Very patient, and so experienced. It gave me a feeling of my mother sitting and guiding me through my pregnancy. She was always there to answer my most annoying queries. I am a BIG fan of her and have registered myself for my second child with her. I will very strongly recommend her to all !!! You will be in safe hands... TRUST ME!

cupcup

I had my first boy with Dr. Chua in 2009. Me n my hubby found her a bit 'scary to talk too' at the beginning but we had different opinion after a while.. We like her a lot :).. We are coming back to her clinic these days for our second baby.. :)

MummyK3

Dr Chua delivered all my three boys for me and both my husband and I found her to be a great and patient doctor who is very willing to share and explain things to us.

The only issue with Dr Chua is the queue outside her clinic. So I had to make sure I am the first on the list for that day or the Q time could be at least 30-45min even if you are on-time for your appointment.

One thing I really appreciated her is that she did assisted bridge birth for my 2nd boy. He did not turn when my water broke; we waited for 11 hours and he still didnt turn. In the end, Dr Chua said let's just deliver the baby and she did it without cutting me up!!

I found out later from my son's PD that there are only 2 gynaes in Sgp who are capable of doing bridge case delivery and Dr Chua is one of them. Apparently after the 80s, all the docs trained in NUS are told to do c-section anytime they realise the baby has not engaged or did not turn. I know with current technology C-section is safe and fast; but I still see natural birth as the way to go (personal choice) and I appreciate her expertise in handling the case.

Dr Chua is stern - she actually gave me a nasty lecture cos I worked too hard during my 3rd pregnancy and that led to early contractions at 22 weeks. (went to see her for some problem and detected the minor contractions, she had given me MCs to rest but I had deadlines to meet, so I went back to work and the contractions got worse...) I guess I deserved it :p

All in all, I think she is a great doctor and I still go back to her for annual check ups. For those staying near the West, her Bt Batok clinic may be more accessible and convenient. Used to see her at Mt E - just the parking was at least 10 bucks every visit...

joyice

I was with Dr Chua for my gal in 2009, she's amazing. Very experienced, clam, always assuring and direct in her approach. She will not give u ans to please u, but will tell u things factually as a professional.

Once, I was given a stern lecture by her for gaining too much weight within a short period of time, as I'm v petite in size and my hubby is huge. It means my bb have 50 % chance of being big sized too, and may hav difficulty when I deliver. She helped me manage my pregancy well, I managed to work till the very last weekday before my Edd, she encouraged me to do so, so that I have more maternity leave after delivery.

I successfully delivered my 3.1kg girl thanks to her. 15 hours after admission into the delivery ward, my baby was in OP position, facing upwards. She kept close monitor and suggested for me to wait for a whe more. I manage to deliver naturally in the end. She's breastfeeding friendly too!

a lot of my other colleagues were her patients too, and they were all well taken care of.

You will be in good hands, no doubt.

moi

joyice,
Your experience was very similar to mine!

My boy (delivered in 2006) was also in OP position and wasn't engage properly and Dr Chua also ask me to wait. My labour was also around 15 hours as I wasn't dilating well. We're glad that we've managed to deliver vaginally in the end.

She also "chided" me for putting on too much weight when I "follow" others blindly to consume prenatal milk formula. It was bad to normal after I quit the FM.

Thumbs up for her!

kennto

Hi all new moms and dads-to-be,

I don't normally post on forums. I had a terrible experience with Dr. Selina Chua a week ago that I have to make the effort posting here.

It was our first visit to her, as recommended by another retiring doc. I had done some homework prior my visit with my wife. And I am aware that she is the stern type but with a vast of experience.

She had a quick chat with my wife regarding her background e.g. duration of cycle, when she had sex last time. Based on that, Dr. Chua calculated the baby should be at about 8 weeks old. My wife reminded Dr. Chua that her cycle is way longer than 28-day and we had sex a few times (each about 2 wks apart) during the period. Dr. Chua began to get impatient and I remember she said "well, it can just get on and on and no...."

Being skeptical about the baby "older week age" than we thought, the next step is the ultrasound scan. I have to give Dr. Chua credit that according to my wife, Dr. Chua did a good job when she inserted the probe into my wife. And my wife always finds it intrusive. Having looked at the scan, Dr. Chua said it is very likely a Empty Sack according to the calculation.

Having got the sad news, she said 1 in 6 chances ended up like this. As we asked her the possible reasons, she demonstrated her impatience again. She said to give the baby a chance, it's best to have another ultrasound again in a week's time. But she emphasized it's gonna be a empty sack unless there is a mis-calculation.

After a week's time, my wife had bleeded fresh blood and we rushed to the Emergency room. Even though it's General Hospital the lady doc took her time to examine my wife and we had a good news. The baby is growing healthily with heart beat.

Had Dr. Chua listened to her patients with patience they deserve, there will not be any mis-calculation and my wife will not risk having the possible mis-carriage. I am in another professional industry which requires judgment and experience. This is a classic example that accidence could be made due to one's over-confidence and experience.

There is no way I am going back to Dr. Chua again. No matter how good she is, if she doesn't want to listen to her patients, I think she lacks the basic value of being a good doc.

Hope it could add a 2nd opinion to this forum. Thank you.

leoltc

Hi Bloomingbelly,

i also got bad experience with her just few week ago....so i and my wife decide change Gynae...

jeezebb

Dear all trying to get conceive or to-be-mummy,

Those remarks of this dr are indeed true!! Its up to you whether to believe or not.. I do not like to bad-mouth anyone but its up to you whether u can accept this type of service or consultation from a experienced dr.

To cut story short. Visited this dr for tying to get conceive and waited from 11am to 2pm then manage to see her. Told her that i had been to NUH to take those tests etc (but the NUH doc didnt say anything) hence we r seeing a chinese physician now (for 5 mths). Our Chinese physician advise me to take a blood test and he did explain to me on my result. So I decided to see a western doc for treatment but still going for tcm too.. for faster results.

Finally my turn and went in, she went thru what are the steps we can do..eg. step 1 - check my hormones, step 2-my hb sperm analysis, step 3.. step 4..etc

Now, after talking all these.. she ask me "What do you want to do?".. of course my ans will be to get pregnant!.. She said "of course your final objective is to get pregnant".. then ask me back again what I want to do.. This is ridiculous! If I know what measure/medicine/test to take, I wouldnt go to see a gynae!! Then she say I am not sure what I want.. OMG! This dr is simply wasting of my time!! And she somemore advise me to go see another dr (her affiliate) for advise. End up paying $100 for her nonsense 'advise'! Also, she said no point i go around changing doc best to stick to 1 doc.. in my heart, I was thinking, how to stick to one doc when u met such doc..what a bad luck! Pls think twice!

Hi all,

Yes, I did hv very very bad experience with this DR as well! Her attitude was really bad! Too stern for me and I paid $120 consult fees just to get a gd "lecture" from her!! She is definitely NOT a motherly gynae. I had decided to change gynae just one visit! Do think twice if anyone wishes to consult her!

Selva

I have had 2.5 years experience with Selina Chua and I can honestly tell you, stay away. Here is my story.

When I was 12 weeks pregnant, she was referred to me by another doctor who told me she had a bad personality but that she was very experienced. I decided not to pay attention to all the negative comments as I thought experience would be enough so I made an appointment. I really wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt, and even defended her from negative comments at first, posting in her defence on this very thread.

My pregnancy was happily uneventful so I had no real reason to have any interaction with her other than the very pragmatic monthly scan. In a couple of occasions, when asking her basic questions, she exhibited very negative personality traits, all the ones mentioned by other people on this post. She was very rude in her response and held a grudge for several visits.

Two days before my due date, during a routine visit, I asked her at what point I would see her in the delivery room and only then did she tell me that she would not be present during my labor as she was going on vacation. Since it was my first pregnancy I panicked. I had paid the hefty fees to ensure I could build some type of relationship with my doctor so I would have a familiar face in the delivery room. She had known about her vacation for the entire time I had been her patient and never thought to tell me she would not be there.
Furthermore, she never made an effort to introduce me to the doctor who would be taking her place.

When I got home, I called her back asking her to please introduce me to the doctor who would be delivering my child, and told her politely that I would have appreciated it if she had told me earlier that she was not planning to be there. She was very rude on the phone, never apologised, never showed any understanding and attacked me for being "recriminatory", even hung up the phone.

At that stage, no other doctor would take me as there is a rule in Singapore where no doctor can take you from another doctor when you are so close to delivery. So I had no choice but to cross my fingers and hope the doctor she referred to me would be good. Thankfully she was, and so much more gentle and human than Selina Chua. A couple days after the delivery, Selina Chua was back from her vacation so she showed up in the hospital room for the postnatal checkup. I was still upset and disappointed but my experience with the other doctor had been great so I decided to let it go.

One and a half years later, I was pregnant again. I really wanted to see the doctor who had delivered my daughter but could not, so I went back to Selina Chua, at least I knew worse case scenario i would be in the caring hands of the doctor who delivered my child.

Unfortunately, my baby turned out to have signs of possible chromosomal abnormalities. Selina Chua was very cold about it, and refused to answer any of my questions. I was full of fear and questions, but had no support whatsoever. I went home and read as much as I could and when I called back asking her if she could help me understand she attacked me for checking the internet and doubting her and refused to speak to me.

The day the preliminary test came back showing chromosomal abnormalities, she called me, sat me down in her office, pulled out a ruler, underlined the horrible diagnosis, sent me to watch an abortion video. She also told me she would have a psychiatrist contact me (she never did). I was in her office for less than 3 minutes and never once did she say 'I am sorry for what you are going through" or showed any empathy at all. Her office gave me pills to take home to initiate labor and scheduled me for termination 2 days later.

I was full of questions and fears, never in my life have I cried so much. When I got home, I realised that we had not even received the final results of the DNA test yet, what I was shown were the preliminary ones. So I called Selina Chua back to find out if it was worth waiting for the full results, and find out what the chances were that the baby could be ok. I could not give my baby up so easily, with no questions answered and no understanding of what was really going on. This baby was wanted and meant the world to me. She was not available so I was told she would call me back. When Doctor Chua called back she was extremely upset that we were bothering her again. She said my husband and I were acting irrational and that we had had our answer, what more did we want? When we asked her what would happen if we terminated and then for some reason the final results showed baby was ok, she said "It's unlikely, but in that case I would not tell you". I was shocked.

I decided then that i should see someone else, so I could get all my questions answered and maybe have some human understanding and compassion. My baby deserved it. I saw another doctor who was really fantastic, so sweet, answered all my questions, scanned my baby for an hour, shared all possible scenarios and even referred me to a super specialist at KK. At KK I received amazing care.

As far as Selina Chua, I never showed up at my termination appointment. However she never called me to see what had happened, if i had changed my mind, why i didn't show up. She only called a couple weeks later with the final results but delivered them in a very cold way (got the final results, they are positive, bye), never once asking me what I was planning to do, or when I would go back to see her, or if i had decided to keep that baby and in that case the course of action I should take. She simply dropped me, in a moment of my life that was possible the saddest and hardest ever. I was in her care and she totally abandoned me because I had dared ask questions. At KK, without even asking, I was referred to and followed by specialists, genetic counsellors, psychologists and social workers. Selina Chua never even had the psychiatrist call me, as she had promised.

Hopefully nothing of this sort will happen to any of you, I do not wish it upon my worse enemy, but if it ever did I do pray that you will not be in the care of Selina Chua. Yes, she is experienced, but frankly, most of what she does, with today's technology, can be done by any good practitioner in her field. But anything that you cannot automate, empathy, human qualities, tact and understanding of context are totally alien to her. And the saddest thing is, she really does not care about her patients at all.

If experience is the only thing you are looking for, she may still be the doctor for you, but if you think you may even have one question in the course of your pregnancy that you would like answered, I suggest you stay away.

Sonia LL

Interesting to read all these review about Selina Chua. Indeed, my experience with her is the same. She is very cold towards patients, come across as telling patients off instead of answering questions. Good doctors should be someone with high EQ, and relate well to people ( patients) , knowledge alone is not enough as the human touch is reassuring to patients and the mark of true professionalism.