Drinking coffee and tea during pregnancy.

soulnezz

Hi dear mummies to be,

What do u think of drinking of coffee or tea during pregnancy? ive read that 1 glass a day shouldnt be a problem. and for me i need to have at least a glass if not my migrane starts and body will feel sluggish the whole day. but whenever i do....i feel really guilty as people will start looking and asking qns. also thinking later when wanna breastfeed how?

how ah. to drink or not to drink. truthfully ive been drinking and am in my 8th month now. so far so good....but i guess i need to train myself to stop since its my plan to b.feed later...

camom

I think tea might be a lesser evil compared to coffee.. I also steal sips of coke when I was pregnant. Anyway, do drink in moderation.

My fren drank green tea whenever she has the urge for a caffeine boost.

Up to you to believe.. but the foods we take when pregnant & bf goes a long way to molding the tastebuds of the bb. I am still bf my youngest. I actually don't really control my diet, so long as I eat healthily and have balanced meals. I love chilli and since it didn't cause my bb discomfort, I ate. My toddler is now 17 mths old and eats kimchi.

diymummy

Hi soulnezz,

I love my tea. During my pregnancy, I stopped drinking. I switched to de-caff or fruit teas.

I would try dragging my tea consumption. Eg, drinking everyday to drinking every 2 days.. Then drag to drinking every 3 days. I slowly condition my body to do with less. If I really buey ta han, I will drink the de-caff tea.

Phoebii Cheng

When I attended the antenental class, the nurse said, can drink coffee or tea the max is two cups a day when u r pregnant:tlaugh:

And if u r BF bb, make sure u drink after u BF bb....dun drink immediately bf u BF bb, reason being, after u BF bb, the caffeine in ur body at least has abt 3 to 4 hrs to be fully digested in ur body:tlaugh:

jazz_sofia

Hi dear mummies to be,

What do you think of drinking of coffee or tea during pregnancy? ive read that 1 glass a day shouldnt be a problem. and for me i need to have at least a glass if not my migrane starts and body will feel sluggish the whole day. but whenever i do....i feel really guilty as people will start looking and asking qns. also thinking later when wanna breastfeed how?

how . to drink or not to drink. truthfully ive been drinking and am in my 8th month now. so far so good....but i guess i need to train myself to stop since its my plan to b.feed later...
my ob adviced me not to take any caffeineated drink...i like teas and coffees too...but since the day i confirmed that i was pregnant, i stay away from coffees and teas and all softdrinks...tho i have friends who drinks coffee and coke until 8mos...i think, the word there is moderation...but for me, since it was my first pregnancy, i didnt want any problems to happen, so i follow advices from my ob, mother, grandparents, even those old aunties (neighbors)...:001_302:

soulnezz

thank u mummies...i think ill try hard to lower intake. maybe instead of a cup...half cup or something. haha.

today tried hard but couldnt resist pokka green tea cos weather sooo hot..

sigh

mecolemummy

thank you mummies...i think ill try hard to lower intake. maybe instead of a cup...half cup or something. haha.

today tried hard but couldnt resist pokka green tea cos weather sooo hot..

sigh
why dun u try making a big pot of camomile tea (caffeine free) and put in the fridge? and if anyone r in need of a soft drink to boost your day, try MUG rootbeer... it's caffeine free too!

I love my tea so much but once i know i'm preggy, i stop!!! the only way to still have a hot cup of tea after meals, i turn to camomile.

siongnelly

i love tea too....
at least once a day....
but i stop when pregnant.... this was the only one thing i craved about ;)

meiteoh

I completely cut off all soda, coffee and tea. Soda is not so much coz of the caffeine content but the sugar (it's empty calories). The coffee and tea is because of the caffeine rush which is great when you need a pick me up but it also means that your baby gets a "pick me up" as well and I didn't want to introduce such substances to my baby even while she's in my womb. Fruit and flower infusions like chamomile and apple/berry tea are safe as they don't contain any caffeine. But still, I don't take a lot of the stuff.

I'm still breastfeeding Eva at 6 mths plus and I have only had a glass of frappe in that span of time plus some green tea. Reason being that these affect BM supply so all the more reason to not drink too much of the stuff. :)

soulnezz

oooo camomile...ok will try that soon! thank u so much!

not really a fan of soft drinks..thats why intake abit limited. haha. will always drink either teh, bubble tea or green tea. but now trying hard to consciously order ribena or milo.

diymummy

I also made a big bottle (1.5l) of Ribena to put in the fridge. When I craved something sugary and cold and non-gassy, I'd drink Ribena.

camom

I grabbed a can of RootBeer Mug whenever I craved for something cold and sugary. Less guilty cos it's supposedly caffeine free. :001_302:

NIisme

i dont drink coffee or tea, thats a good thing for me. but i always like to drink soda now. which is very bad. haiss

angelwendy

Actually drinking 1 cup of tea or coffee is ok when pregnant.. as long as u don't over the limit... it will not cause harm to ur baby....

soulnezz

hi angel wendy,

yes thats what i read too. but i think now ill try to stop la....cos i plan to breast feed later :)

mrs_eg

Hi all,

Jus some of my thoughts... Ever since I started TTCing I abstain frm drinking too much Caffeine and switched to Decaf... Only to learn that it is actually not very wise to do so....

Try not to take too much DECAF type of teas or coffee.. no matter pregnant or not.... cos in the process of DECAFing, the methods used alters the natural form of coffee or tea..., There have also been reports that Decaf may be the cause of heart diseases... Of course I think much research is still going on... but take everything in moderation will be the best prevention...:001_302:

Einstein Rings! Feed A Turkey! Dallasaurus! Decaf Harmful? Real Tatooine! Supergiant X-Ray Binaries! Is Decaf Harmful to Your Heart?

News - Science: Decaf coffee may still pack a punch

Coffee Decaffeinated Coffee - What You Should Know

Last edited:

Ting

when i was preg, i just contd to drink tea n coke.. hehe. but no coffee for me cos i dun like. :D

Caffeine (coffee and tea esp) is not good during pregnancy also because they interfere with iron absorption. Like my case because of anemia, my gynae told me not to take any. I still stole smaill sips of teas like earl grey and peppermint..

Furthermore, do be careful of 'fruit teas' or teas which we normally know as very mild like even camomile. Altho they are caffeine free, they contain other properties which might trigger some symptoms. Altho I am sure very small amounts would not really hurt. So really MODERATION is key.

mrs_eg

Caffeine (coffee and tea esp) is not good during pregnancy also because they interfere with iron absorption. Like my case because of anemia, my gynae told me not to take any. I still stole smaill sips of teas like earl grey and peppermint..

Furthermore, do be careful of 'fruit teas' or teas which we normally know as very mild like even camomile. Altho they are caffeine free, they contain other properties which might trigger some symptoms. Altho I am sure very small amounts would not really hurt. So really MODERATION is key.
hi hi koala bear mummy,

you mentioned 'properties which might trigger some symptoms', may I know what kind of symptoms you are toking abt?