DS' silent world

oblong

Hello mummies, my son is 2.5 months now. The day after I gave birth, the PD told us that DS failed his hearing test. 6 weeks later, we brought him for a second hearing test. He also failed that test. Referred to ENT. Diagnosed with profound hearing loss.

He is currently wearing a pair of hearing aids but with limited improvements. He can only hear sounds as loud as a garang guni horn. These sounds must be played next to his ears otherwise he cannot hear them. He is most likely going for a cochlear implant when he turns 1 yr old or earlier depending on the upcoming assessements.

Any mummies with a similar experience? I do hope to hear from you. Thanks.

callieseah

Hello mummies, my son is 2.5 months now. The day after I gave birth, the PD told us that DS failed his hearing test. 6 weeks later, we brought him for a second hearing test. He also failed that test. Referred to ENT. Diagnosed with profound hearing loss.

He is currently wearing a pair of hearing aids but with limited improvements. He can only hear sounds as loud as a garang guni horn. These sounds must be played next to his ears otherwise he cannot hear them. He is most likely going for a cochlear implant when he turns 1 yr old or earlier depending on the upcoming assessements.

Sad to hear abt your DS case, esp that my DD and your DS are of the same age. But I do believe that the advanced technology nowadays is able to solve his hearing problem. Don't worry too much ok, I'm sure GOD will bless your dear one....

oblong

Hopefully. He will still need further assessments as some of the treatments have their limitations too.

You have a pair of twins? That's nice. Congrats!

Lotus

Hopefully. He will still need further assessments as some of the treatments have their limitations too.

I've been aware of Cochlear Ear implants for 20 years, and know that the technology is tested, advanced and used extensively.

Although you're going through a difficult time, try to look at developing his other senses, especially tactile using his hands and feet to feel sensations. Have you also thought about learning and using sign language. I'm aware that many parents use sign language as means of communicating prior to speaking.

CanCanMum

Hi oblong,

Sorry to hear abt this. Yes u should focus on sign languages to communicate with your baby...in fact yr role as a mother will be more challenging and in times difficult. But whatever tat happens do stay positive. I am not familiar with this but i do think there are advances in medical researches and developments focusing on this area. What i can do now is only to give u some encouragement. Do be online often to share with us yr child's developments.

callieseah

No twins, tho I very much wish to hv :) I guess you got mistaken cos I mentioned "my DD and your DS are of the same age".

nina

paiseh, mis-read your post :shyxxx:
Hi, I am a cochlear implantee (CI) myself. I have come across toddlers with ci and they are doing very well. It's best what parents give to their the child ..for their future..

BudgetMum

I know it may b a trying & depressing time now to hear that ur DS has hearing difficulty... ...however, u must b strong & stay positive 4 ur DS!!

Like what other parents had mentioned, u must develop ur DS other senses & starts learning to sign to ur DS. Do stay positive & dun care too much of wat others might say abt u or ur DS!!

Probably he's gifted in other areas which has yet been discovered!!

Good luck & stay positive!! All the best to u & ur DS.

oblong

Hi, I am a cochlear implantee (CI) myself. I have come across toddlers with ci and they are doing very well. It's best what parents give to their the child ..for their future..
Hi nina, hope everything is going well for you. how long have you had your CI? Did you start off with hearing aids before the doctors implanted the CI?

oblong

I know it may b a trying & depressing time now to hear that ur DS has hearing difficulty... ...however, u must b strong & stay positive 4 ur DS!!

Like what other parents had mentioned, u must develop ur DS other senses & starts learning to sign to ur DS. Do stay positive & dun care too much of wat others might say abt u or ur DS!!

Probably he's gifted in other areas which has yet been discovered!!

Good luck & stay positive!! All the best to u & ur DS.
Thanks. We are currently going thru AVT with DS. We have to carefully enunciate some vowels and consonants to get him to make his own baby talks. His baby talk 'vocab' is very limited now. He still doesn't know how to make certain sounds that a similar age baby can make. So we need to do a lot of work in the area.

elmo493

What does DS stay for

Thanks. We are currently going thru AVT with DS. We have to carefully enunciate some vowels and consonants to get him to make his own baby talks. His baby talk 'vocab' is very limited now. He still doesn't know how to make certain sounds that a similar age baby can make. So we need to do a lot of work in the area.

oblong

after abt 3 tunings for the past 4 months, DS' hearing aids are now tuned to the optimum. (sync with the results of his detailed hearing test) these days, life is very hectic. i have gone back to work, therapy sessions are are on average once a month. after that, we will need to do 'homework', revise the therapy session with DS. we can see some slight improvements, DS will sometimes look at us when we 'talk' to him or peep at us when we call him. then of course, he misbehaves also. he will purposely ignore us when we call him or become so glued to the tv that he ignores everything and everybody. Yes! He is a super tv addict! He loves watching tv serials with my parents in the evening.

i do not know what is life going to be like for the next few months. but it will definitely change. DS is going for a detailed hearing test next month. to see if his hearing has worsen or improved. this will give the doctor a clear sign where to move on from here.