Dunstan Baby Language - understand the meaning of baby's cries

tika

Anyone heard of the following system? I saw the lady on Oprah Winfrey. I am very tempted to buy the DVD.

The Dunstan Baby Language teaches you to hear exactly what your baby is communicating.

As a parent, you will be able to interpret your infant’s sounds and cries – and respond to their needs quickly and effectively.

Every newborn communicates from birth to 3 months uses 5 distinct sounds that signal hunger, tiredness, need to burp, lower wind/gas and discomfort. This is regardless of the language their parents speak. It is not a learned language. Rather, it is a natural way for every baby to express their physical needs.

The ‘words’ that form the basis of what we have called the Dunstan Baby Language, are sounds that are based on baby’s physical responses. These are called reflexes. For example, when a baby is hungry it will start to suck, and as sound is added to the reflex, the ‘word’ for hunger is produced. These are the baby’s first communications, which occur before actual crying develops. The sooner the ‘word’ for hunger is identified the sooner a parent can respond by feeding, resulting in less crying and less discomfort for baby - and for parents..

The Dunstan System will teach you how to tune your ear to the 5 ‘words’, take you through settling solutions, and gives helpful advice for parents. You will also view Priscilla Dunstan in a ‘live lesson’, teaching new mothers the System – with immediate results.

It was eight years of research that revealed this system of sounds – the language that is shared by all babies. We trust you will treasure the Dunstan Baby Language as your baby benefits from being is listened to – and truly heard.

-taken from www.dunstanbaby.com-

tika

did it help you and hubby in any way? were you able to tell the different cries?

annie

i read some books n online info on understanding bb's cries n i think those are enough.. if u follow a routine for bb then its even easier to know y she/he cry. eg if she is crying even though she had enough sleep then probably she is hungry. if she is sweaty n crying then she is hot. if she is having some goose pimples n crying then she is cold. if it has been few hrs after her last feeding then she is hungry. if its been few hrs after she woke up then she is sleepy. if her cries are high pitched then she is in pain. if she pulls up her legs n cry/scream then she has a tummy upset etc etc. i read these all from books n online info. the book i read was from tracy hogg. title the baby whisper. its a very popular book. u might want to try it. it talks alot on how to handle babies

veronica

I started a similiar thread weeks ago but I couldn't remember its Dunstan Baby language that time.

One particular sign I was keen to know is when bb is hungry. The video clip shows all bb cries with a "neh" sound but my gal is already 2.5mths old...I never hear a neh sound from her leh...

Have you tried distinguish your bb sound?

tika

the 5 sounds are...

neh - hungry
eh- burp
eairh- lower gas in tummy
owh- sleepy
heh- discomfort

I watched a short video on the dunstan baby language and manage to only recognise my baby's EH sound. so when she does it, i burp her.

But the problem is... for the past 1 week, she has been crying non stop from 9pm to 12am. I'm dreading tonight's episode as well. I can't make out her cry at that particular timing cos she's screaming herself coarse. I've tried burping her, chging diaper, carrying, cuddling, dim the lights (to avoid overstimulation), giving milk, swadling, singing, rubbing wind oil (for babies) on her tummy and back...

It would seem like she wants milk...she'll drink for a few seconds then start to push the bottle away and her whole body will contort like she wants to fart or burp. then i'll try to burp her and she doesn't. so i try giving her milk again and she'll do the same thing. Drink for a few seconds then contort her body and scream and cry.

and my final defeat...i gave her pacifier last night...she still cries!

I tried using white noise, in this case my hairdryer, and it works. She would immediately keep quiet. but the moment i turn it off, alamak she would cry again lahhh. i can't possibly keep hairdryer on whole night right.

im clueless. i'm hoping the dvd will help me. anyone wanna sell theirs off?

Lynnie

the 5 sounds are...

neh - hungry
eh- burp
owh- sleepy
heh- discomfort

I watched a short video on the dunstan baby language and manage to only recognise my baby's EH sound. so when she does it, i burp her.

But the problem is... for the past 1 week, she has been crying non stop from 9pm to 12am. I'm dreading tonight's episode as well. I can't make out her cry at that particular timing cos she's screaming herself coarse. I've tried burping her, chging diaper, carrying, cuddling, dim the lights (to avoid overstimulation), giving milk, swadling, singing, rubbing wind oil (for babies) on her tummy and back...

It would seem like she wants milk...she'll drink for a few seconds then start to push the bottle away and her whole body will contort like she wants to fart or burp. then i'll try to burp her and she doesn't. so i try giving her milk again and she'll do the same thing. Drink for a few seconds then contort her body and scream and cry.

I tried using white noise, in this case my hairdryer, and it works. She would immediately keep quiet. but the moment i turn it off, alamak she would cry again lahhh. i can't possibly keep hairdryer on whole night right.

She's most probably having colic... Try to search on ways to soothe a colicky baby.

the 5 sounds are...

neh - hungry
eh- burp
owh- sleepy
heh- discomfort

She might have air in her stomach...Try giving her some grip water or ridwind medicine to relieve the air...

cmeilim

hi tika

how old is your baby? if only in the first month, i think it's quite common that babies cry the most in their first month. it may not be as bad as colic. my DS was also very wakeful during his first month. we tried changing diapers, changing persons to carry him, walk around the flat, turn on as many fans as possible as he was sweaty, burp, rub ruyi oil on his tummy, nursing him, everything (except give him the pacifier as we wanted my breastfeeding to establish first without any nipple confusion, and giving him gripe water as we were and are still on total breastfeeding)....and he would still cry till he reached that kind of panicky cry.

but as he grew older, he grew out of it and has not cried like this since he was two months old. i think him settling into a routine that we can identify his different needs at different times helped. i have not read about Dunstan language before and it's interesting about the 'five words' in babies' cries. i can't recall now if DS cried like what Dunstan claims, but I know we figured out the different kinds of cries that he had for different things. Not sure if it's Dunstan or just his own. :p

if u drive and own an infant car seat, try putting hrr inside and go for a drive. my DS would calm down the moment he was placed in the car seat. =>