EDD Feb 2013

Meowgirl

my gynae actually told me shld be ok to work until around wk38... i was thinking of starting early...my colleague suggested that it'll be good to have some "me" time before baby is out (and all the mess starts)... but i want to spend more time with baby after delivery leh... so still can't decide when shld start maternity leave yet...

Meowgirl

shld be my MIL..i'm staying at my PIL's house now and my MIL is a housewife, she volunteered to help...waiting for my flat to be ready...hopefully earliest by mid 2013 or early 2014...

my MIL is very excited and offered to take of the baby and my confinement... but that becomes 2 major headaches for me also..

for confinement:
she say she knows nothing about confinement (and shortly after then i heard from my hubby that she actually helped other relatives with their confinement before...) and keep saying now generation different from hers...her time all very qing cai...coz her MIL also don't know much and don't care much about confinement...then sometimes she'll say her friend say have to eat this, eat that and etc when she don't even really knows what's the food that her friends are talking about.. and we have never talked about the baby duty yet..

for baby:
1 day she suggested that even after we get out flat and moved out, can leave baby with her from Mon-Fri, after work just go over for dinner and see see baby, weekend that bring baby home (but i'm quite against that idea), so that baby and us won't be so tired everyday travel back and fro...
then another moment she say her knee cap pain cannot squat down to bath baby... and she keep saying that now generation different..all the things for baby has to be special, and good (but i don't know what's her expectation of good)... really worried that she will spoilt the baby (he will be the 1st grandson in the whole family somemore)...

what's your plan for confinement and baby care??

so, all in all..i actually don't know how to put my expectations for things to be done...

Starling

I can understand, my sister always tell me that if let MIL or any1 to take care of baby, must really close 1 eye and also to trust the person.
I think your MIL is afraid that you mind.. so she tell u she ching cai and duno abt the food.. That's what I think la.. at least she is good, want to help out..

for my case, i got my mother to do confinement for me... she also ching cai 1.. ching cai also good.. then i can shower and dun feel so stress.
waiting to eat pig trotters... slurps.. my mother actually bought a recipe book for confinement from popular.. she tried 1 dish from there, and not to my taste.. but maybe u can go see for reference.

for baby care, i should be quitting my job and b sahm if my mum canot manage the baby.. she also got knee cap problem..
cos i feel, child's development and growth during their 1st few yrs r very impt.. but if financial wise, half way canot tong, then i will go back workforce and put baby into infant/childcare..

Starling

oh ya, there's actually a stand that you can get to put the bath tub.. so ur mil no need to squat down to bath baby..
or my col suggested to put baby into sink, think that's what ang mos do...

Meowgirl

for the bathing part..my colleagues were saying can put the bathtub on table too..then no need to squat..so i guess for that part i just wait and see how it goes...not sure if i can keep 1 eye closed, i guess i'm a bit of control-freak (somemore 1st baby)...i agree that baby's 1st few yrs development very impt...in fact my hubby hinting a few times ask me to stay home and take care of baby.. actually i don't mind to stay home... just like u...concern a bit about financial..and feels a bit wasted to stop working so soon...i've only started working for a couple of yrs..

as for confinement..my MIL went to bought a couple of recipe books for pregnancy and confinement some months back.. saw her flip through 1 or 2 times only then kept in cabinet already...and i never see the dishes on the table...at least if own mum...anything unhappy or request can say more openly ba... with MIL, somehow just feel more reserved... don't feel nice to request for things or "complain" food not nice or way of handling not right...

Starling

ur hb so nice.. ya, dun wana waste the career that you've built.. for me, i'm thinking of switching line, so i dun mind..
no choice la, have to tong abit lor.. 40 days of confinement, not very long, not very short..
maybe at the end of the day, u will be grateful to her for wanting to help out..

Meowgirl

ya..that's what i'm hoping too... think i'm worrying too much... now trying hard to keep my mind shut and eyes closed...just waiting for my baby to come... :D

Starling

Ya actually very fast will b the arrival of little 1. How's all the preparation? I have yet to start rolling all the cotton balls. Thinking where to store them. In another few more wks we hv to pack our hospital bag alrd.

l0r3tTa

Hello Feb mummies,
If I'm not wrong, what I read on the MOM website with regards to Maternity leave is tt it is according to working days. So if its public holiday,its no count.
Meaning if we work 5 days each week, 16weeks=80working days.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hee
:)

Meowgirl

hmmm..i don't think so.. it's actually a total of 16 weeks (including PH)... only the last 8 weeks, if company agree, may take flexible timing, meaning no need to take 1 shot, then for that 8 weeks, you have a total of 40 working days (8 * 5 working days) to take..so if we start maternity leave before CNY, most likely the 2 days of CNY PH will be counted as part of your maternity leave..

and there's a clause..."The four weeks of maternity leave immediately after the delivery of her child is compulsory."

also, it depends on the HR policy of your company... my company have slightly different rules for maternity leave for employees of different ranking...some rankings have to take all 16weeks at 1 shot, while some are allowed flexibility for the last 8 weeks..

here's the MOM website for your reference: Maternity Leave - Ministry of Manpower

EYA

hi mommies
i am frm Nov 2012 thread. my baby is a month old now and there are some items which i did not even get a chance to use.if interested i am willing to sell the items listed below at a very reasonable price:summer infant by your side bassinet - bought from mums and babes
bamboo swaddle cloth x3 brand new - bought from mothercare
napkins brand new - pigeon
diaper liners brand new - pigeon

and i have a used car seat to be given away.PM me if you're interested.
thx mommies

l0r3tTa

hmmm..i don't think so.. it's actually a total of 16 weeks (including PH)... only the last 8 weeks, if company agree, may take flexible timing, meaning no need to take 1 shot, then for that 8 weeks, you have a total of 40 working days (8 * 5 working days) to take..so if we start maternity leave before CNY, most likely the 2 days of CNY PH will be counted as part of your maternity leave..

and there's a clause..."The four weeks of maternity leave immediately after the delivery of her child is compulsory."

also, it depends on the HR policy of your company... my company have slightly different rules for maternity leave for employees of different ranking...some rankings have to take all 16weeks at 1 shot, while some are allowed flexibility for the last 8 weeks..

here's the MOM website for your reference: Maternity Leave - Ministry of Manpower
hmm..but if the flexible last 8 weeks is according to working days, then shouldn't be the first 8 weeks also count this way. Hmm...like that not so worth it ah. But I think it also depends very much on your company. My last job has roster to abide by, so when I returned to work and applied for the maternity leave from the system, it still reflects like a few days more of maternity leave. So I am assuming that it is according to working days.

you can check with your HR. :)

Ah Cheng

I will be taking my leave from 4th Feb, EDD 12th Feb, so about 1wk break. But taking myh 12weeks and last 4 weeks to be cleared within a year.
Actually thought of taking earlier, but really work schedule too busy. Nowadays can hardly move much, really tiring to squeeze the MRT and Bus! Really Tiring.