EDD Jan 2012 Mummies

In Mrs Wong's book "Guide to Childbirth" (p61), there was only a short paragraph:

"Caster Oil and Tea
Taking a cocktail of mixed orange juice and caster oil, three times half hourly can also induce labour naturally. Caster oil increases peristaltic movement of the guts and thus can stimulate labour. Some mothers recommend evening primrose or red raspberry leaf tea but there us no data to show its success rate. However, beware of consuming too much raspberry tea leaf as there have been a few incidents of post-partum heamorrhage resulting from it."

Has anyone bought a breast feeding pillow yet? which brand, from where and how much? I have seen a few but they are super expensive, like $80-150. Any suggestions? thanks

In case any of you are being told you have a BIG baby and you need to be Induced, or you need to have a C section - read this link below: click on "Big Baby Bull"!!

Big Baby Bull

Last edited:
Hi mummies, anyone knows how do the gynae check if our amniotic fluid is low? Im into my 36 weeks now. Just worried after hearing from some mummies they are told to be induced due to low amniotic fluid.

Any mummies gonna process and consume their placenta? Very keen on going for it although its not proven about the good sides yet. Currently.drinking rapsberry leaf tea. Hopefully it work out well.
At your next ultrasound, ask the doc to show you. There is a black space between inside of your tummy and baby's head - this is the fluid. In my case, the space measured at 8cm and doc said baby has heaps of space at 34 week stage to move around in the fluid freely.

I considered paying $300 to a company to encapsulate my placenta but it just worries me that what if they somehow mix it up with someone else's placenta. I emailed them and they assured that this is unlikely to happen, but the thought still bothers me. In nature, animals eat it raw, so I also thought by the time we cook it or let a company encapsulate it for us, probably any rich iron, goodness, whatever, is "cooked out" by then. So I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to consume it. i don't think I will, anyway. Let me know if there are any strong advocates out there for this, as I am still open minded and have some time to decide...

I am drinking the Raspberry Leaf tea from the health food store (it is sold as tea bags), and also taking the Blackmores brand Raspberry Leaf tablets from the pharmacy. The pack says to take 3-4 tabs 4-5 times a day (up to 20 tabs a day). Quite expensive, so I am taking 3 with breakfast and 3 with dinner. Hope it works too! Does anyone know where to get the Raspberry leaves from to make our own tea.? Check out this story at the link:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/347728/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-tribe

Last edited:

sjchan

Anyone EDD 1st week in Jan? My EDD is 7 Jan. Any labor symptom now? My gynae say my baby head already further down near to vaginal. Occasionally I can feel some pain at my pelvic and vaginal especially when my baby is moving.

In case any of you are being told you have a BIG baby and you need to be Induced, or you need to have a C section - read this link below: click on "Big Baby Bull"!!

Big Baby Bull
A fren's gynae said her baby was estimated at 3.8kg but was only 3.4kg when born. so indeed the estimate can be rather inaccurate.
some gynaes are more pro-vaginal births while others prefer planned c-section.
my gynae is pro-vaginal births and I will like to have a vaginal birth too.

Last edited:

melcochas

Anyone EDD 1st week in Jan? My EDD is 7 Jan. Any labor symptom now? My gynae say my baby head already further down near to vaginal. Occasionally I can feel some pain at my pelvic and vaginal especially when my baby is moving.
mine`s 12 jan! and yes, baby`s already engaged. but no symptoms yet,...what abt u?

melcochas

Hi mommies!

Again, i never received updates on this thread anymore that`s why i didn`t log in..today when i log in, wow! so many new replies! hehe

i am 37w4d now, during 37th week check up baby estimated weight about 2.9kg and i have gained 23 kg!

stretchmarks also alot! lower tummy area. haiyoo.

i have packed my hospital bag too, will be delivering at GlenE, anyone?

in my hosp bag:

2 pjs
hub jacket
baby romper, mittens, booties, hat and receiving blanket.
marriage cert and bank book
admission letter
birth plan
toiletries
small camera for recording
dslr for pictures

basically that`s it...

what abt you mommies? share! :D

Happy MTB

Hi sjchan, my edd is 7th jan. my bb is not engaged yet. But i also can feel the pelvic area is painful. now waiting. My bb is 3.2kg when in 38 weeks. Dr said is big baby asked me to diet. i may need to induce if baby to big. Am quite worry now as no signal that i will b in labour leh.

sjchan

Hi sjchan, my edd is 7th jan. my bb is not engaged yet. But i also can feel the pelvic area is painful. now waiting. My bb is 3.2kg when in 38 weeks. Dr said is big baby asked me to diet. i may need to induce if baby to big. Am quite worry now as no signal that i will b in labour leh.
My baby weight is 2.97kg at wk38. My gynae not encourage me to induce labour. He ask me to wait patiently, my baby may come out anytime.

hi Happy MTB

Think twice about inducing. I pasted a link about Big babies and how doctors often want to induce. Nature should not produce babies that are TOO big for the women's body - our body's are designed for our babies. Have a read - see the link above and ask your Dr lots of questions. And don't forget the Dr should check your Bishop's score.

Last edited:
Hi mommies!

Again, i never received updates on this thread anymore that`s why i didn`t log in..today when i log in, wow! so many new replies! hehe

i am 37w4d now, during 37th week check up baby estimated weight about 2.9kg and i have gained 23 kg!

stretchmarks also alot! lower tummy area. haiyoo.

i have packed my hospital bag too, will be delivering at GlenE, anyone?

in my hosp bag:

2 pjs
hub jacket
baby romper, mittens, booties, hat and receiving blanket.
marriage cert and bank book
admission letter
birth plan
toiletries
small camera for recording
dslr for pictures

basically that`s it...

what abt you mommies? share! :D
hi melcochas

I have a lot of the same stuff as you in my hospital bag, so I will just tell you the "other" stuff I've packed, in case it helps:

- Towel for me (in case hospital ones aren't nice)

- Laxative syrup (available at any pharmacy - i got it from Guardian I think - just ask the pharmacist) - it's a stool softener so that my first stool after birthing my baby doesn't hurt me. I have heard other mums say that since they had a few stitches in their perineum area, it was a bit worrying to poo, or many women get hemorrhoids from pushing/pressure, so it's very good to have this as it will soften your stool and is totally safe. Sometimes the first poo after labour can be 1 full day after the baby, or even 2 days, so there is a bit of build up and the poo could be hard.

- Snacks (nuts, muesli bar, dried fruit, some candy) and Juice so that hubbie isn't running out to buy from limited selections while I am in labour. My prenatal class taught me that birthing is like running a marathon, and so you need energy. We probably won't feel like eating, but we should be sipping on water or juice every hour or so to keep up our fluids. And we might need a light snack every 3-4hours. Be sure to add "eat/drink" in your Birth Plan!
{If you get an epidural, they will probably give you an IV drip in your arm (and if you cannot walk - which is likely the case - you will have a catheter in your urethra to pee through a tube for the staff's convenience). But if you are going natural with no epidural, then you should keep up your fluids yourself and pee yourself.}

- Breast feeding pillow. Important to learn how to feed your baby with the same pillow you will be using later at home. The lactation nurse/consultant can help you learn how.

- Breast pump. Just in case you need to use it while in hospital. Better to take your own and learn how to use with their help.

- ipod and mini speaker - for my relaxing music while in labour.

- Small lamp - to create dim lighting, nice environment while in labour.

- I don't have it yet, but need to take breast feeding bras too I think.

Hope this helps?? Other ladies - please add-on if we missed anything important.

Happy MTB

hi Happy MTB

Think twice about inducing. I pasted a link about Big babies and how doctors often want to induce. Nature should not produce babies that are TOO big for the women's body - our body's are designed for our babies. Have a read - see the link above and ask your Dr lots of questions. And don't forget the Dr should check your Bishop's score.
Hi Booboo Mum,

Ya i have read about it. But am worried baby will be overdue. My edd is 7th jan, its getting nearer & nearer..and my bb is not engaged..if overdue sure have to induce already..

Hi Booboo Mum,

Ya i have read about it. But am worried baby will be overdue. My edd is 7th jan, its getting nearer & nearer..and my bb is not engaged..if overdue sure have to induce already..
Do you have gestational diabetes? I think big babies are more of a concern when that condition is present.

My doctor will only consider Induction if I go 10 days overdue. And even then if he suggests it, I will not really want to do it unless my baby or me is in danger, health wise. And I read that the average pregnancy is anyway 41 weeks + 1 day, so we shouldn't worry if we are approaching 40weeks (if average is 41 weeks, we can even be a bit longer than 41 weeks). The EDD is only an estimate anyway and even it can be wrong, for example, if your menstrual cycle was not regular or if you cannot remember dates of last period, etc.

You still have time before Jan 7, I am sure baby will engage in time when it is ready to come out. Don't worry too much about being overdue - you will just get stressed and muscles will tighten up which is counter productive. Practice walking, stairs, swimming - all good to relax and let baby know you are relaxed and ready.

Here is some more reading. Remember, a high Bishop's score means that the Induction is likely to be a success, but it also means your body probably is about to go into labour on it's own anyway. So I would avoid Induction unless it is absolutely medically necessary.

Reasons to Induce Labor

What is a Bishop's Score and How Does it Relate to Inducing Labor? - Inducing Labor

Clip about how Induction makes contractions worse for you and baby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPauJEy7fc

Last edited:

Happy MTB

Do you have gestational diabetes? I think big babies are more of a concern when that condition is present.

My doctor will only consider Induction if I go 10 days overdue. And even then if he suggests it, I will not really want to do it unless my baby or me is in danger, health wise. And I read that the average pregnancy is anyway 41 weeks + 1 day, so we shouldn't worry if we are approaching 40weeks (if average is 41 weeks, we can even be a bit longer than 41 weeks). The EDD is only an estimate anyway and even it can be wrong, for example, if your menstrual cycle was not regular or if you cannot remember dates of last period, etc.

You still have time before Jan 7, I am sure baby will engage in time when it is ready to come out. Don't worry too much about being overdue - you will just get stressed and muscles will tighten up which is counter productive. Practice walking, stairs, swimming - all good to relax and let baby know you are relaxed and ready.

Here is some more reading. Remember, a high Bishop's score means that the Induction is likely to be a success, but it also means your body probably is about to go into labour on it's own anyway. So I would avoid Induction unless it is absolutely medically necessary.

Reasons to Induce Labor

What is a Bishop's Score and How Does it Relate to Inducing Labor? - Inducing Labor

Clip about how Induction makes contractions worse for you and baby:
Pitocin clip-Business of Being Born - YouTube
Nope, i do not have any gestional diabetes...that is why i am not sure y my bb is big...

shiewliang

To All MTB,

For those who giving birth at Mount Alvernia hospital, for your info the hospital is not provide milk for baby already as Mount Alvernia encourage mother breastfeeding to the baby. Thanks

Nope, i do not have any gestional diabetes...that is why i am not sure y my bb is big...
It's very possible that your baby is NOT big - well, not "big" as per the clinical definition (4-4.5kg). So don't let the doctors scare you if there is no medical reason why you should be worried. Many women I know don't even listen to their last scans which estimate the baby's weight. That's because the scans are often wrong anyway (they are only predictions and usually off by at least 200-300 grams).

read these links and ask your doctor if your baby is truly "macrosomia" or not:
Macrosomia - WikiParenting

Big Baby Bull

Hi, i have called MT A to check on this....

they do not have a firm direction on this issue yet... but they will still be providing milk for the newborns.

To All MTB,

For those who giving birth at Mount Alvernia hospital, for your info the hospital is not provide milk for baby already as Mount Alvernia encourage mother breastfeeding to the baby. Thanks