EDD Jan 2012 Mummies

Hidz

Hi all mummies... How are all of you? Finally finished reading to catch up.. And wow.. The big day is definitely coming closer for most of us huh! Hehe.. Its been soo long since i logged in.. I actually kept forgetting my password and needs to get it reset by admin.. Sheesh..

Anw regarding the stuff i mentioned in my last postings... Hope i get them right! Lol
Not in order..
1. doula service - we didnt engage 1 cos of my husband's erratic working hours
2. Maternity belt - i didnt get one as I managed to learn how to deal with the pain along the way
3. Birthing / gym ball - a veryyy good investment as it helps to ease the back, pelvic pain. Also good to sit or roll on it gently before labour.. Hope i get to do this in the birthing room unless bb decides to make a surprise! Get the anti-burst one!
4. Prenatal yoga - tmc has special arangement with true yoga with good discounts.. I went and it was worth it.. Helped to deal with pain and breathing, calming techniques altho i forgot some steps by now lol... I learnt that its ok to slowly and gently stretch ourselves which i was very scared to do last time.. It works whenever i pulled a muscle..

Other things im taking note of:
Birth plan - i learnt we dont have to be too restrictive about it. Just make sure we are specific about certain matters, others have to give and take according to circumstancd. remember, it is a good guide, but not meant to serve as the perfect plan.. As things may not go as we always planned.. :)

I'm at 37th weeks now.. Head is down, but not yet engaged as of last week's checkup. Next checkup is this sat, 30th!

I've just washed my newborn's clothes (like finally!) lol.. Cos my gf's early birth jolted me into further action.. Her edd was 7th jan, she gave birth normally yesterday! I've yet to double confirm mine so see how next appt ;)

Packed essentials in hospital bag, just left for the clothes.. I just couldnt decide what to put inside for mine! Lol...

Some mentioned experiencing frequent bowel movements.. I've been having pretty smooth and frequent ones past 2 days. From 1-4 times a day. Seems that almost after a meal, have to go.. But in small amounts.. Its better now cos i used to be so constipated.. Now just feel urge or slight lower pain, go loo , sit and wait and.... Lol... I read up flu-like symptoms are also signs of labour coming soon.. I had that last week. But not sure maybe cos i was caught in a drizzle? Lol..

Anw hope you dont mind me suddenly posting such a long entry! I couldnt sleep.. And been experiencing vomitting again.. Haizz..

Anyone has given birth yet? So exciting!! Hehe..!

jhston

Hi, my wife's EDD on 17/01/2012. she's 37 weeks now. baby's still breech. it is our first baby and she desperately wants a dragon baby. we will be seeing the gynae next tuesday. gynae says she want us to choose a date for elective c-section when we see her, she say it will almost be impossible for a dragon baby because it is the first baby + she have Gestational diabetes and want her to go for c-section 3-4 days before the EDD. any experienced mothers can provide some advise?

Hi, my wife's EDD on 17/01/2012. she's 37 weeks now. baby's still breech. it is our first baby and she desperately wants a dragon baby. we will be seeing the gynae next tuesday. gynae says she want us to choose a date for elective c-section when we see her, she say it will almost be impossible for a dragon baby because it is the first baby + she have Gestational diabetes and want her to go for c-section 3-4 days before the EDD. any experienced mothers can provide some advise?
hi jhston, I'm not sure what the gynae means by "it will almost be impossible" --- is gynae concerned that the baby will be too big to birth naturally? I don't think you will get good medical advice on this forum, but please explain a bit more what you mean. What is the approximate weight of the baby from the most recent ultrasound? You might be wise to get a 2nd doctor's opinion before agreeing to C section if your wife does not want that.

Last edited:

jhston

hi jhston, I'm not sure what the gynae means by "it will almost be impossible" --- is this about a concern that the baby will be too big to birth naturally? I dont't think you will get good medical advice on this forum, but please explain a bit more what you mean. What is the approximated weight of the baby from most recent ultrasound? You might be wise to get a 2nd doctor's opinion before agreeing to C section if your wife does not want that.

hi, i mean on the 23/01/2012 which is the first day of the chinese new year, the baby would have been 41 weeks already. because it is our first baby and my wife have gestational diabetes. so gynae say that she do not want the baby to stay in the womb too long and wanted her to deliver even before the EDD 17/01/2012. the baby now is 2.5KG. the baby's in breech position. (gynae says babies that were still breech after 35 weeks will usually not turn anymore) so she suggested c-section. and 3-4 days before 17/01/2012.

hi, i mean on the 23/01/2012 which is the first day of the chinese new year, the baby would have been 41 weeks already. because it is our first baby and my wife have gestational diabetes. so gynae say that she do not want the baby to stay in the womb too long and wanted her to deliver even before the EDD 17/01/2012. the baby now is 2.5KG. the baby's in breech position. (gynae says babies that were still breech after 35 weeks will usually not turn anymore) so she suggested c-section. and 3-4 days before 17/01/2012.
Hi again, Oh I understand now. I am a huge believer in letting the baby come out when it is ready. Development of the baby takes place right up until the day it is born, so if there is no TRUE MEDICAL reason to make a baby come out early, I would never agree to it. So C section and Induction are definitely out of the question unless me or baby is in serious danger.

Gestational diabetes can cause a bigger than normal baby, but here is the chart showing average weights by weeks and your baby is 2.5kg now which is LESS than average for 37 weeks (2.8kg). So I'd be asking the gynae why they are so worried about the weight of your baby when it is not on the big side right now.

Average fetal length and weight chart | BabyCenter

I would get the baby and the mother checked out and if no sign of distress, and no sign of freakishly big baby, then I would not allow any decision for C section yet.

As for the breech position, it is NOT true that babies do not turn after 35 weeks. They can turn on the day of labour itself. Or on the operating table before the C section happens! People are advised to check position once more before getting the incision done for C section, just in case. There is a wonderful long list of things you can do to try and get baby to turn head down. See the next link:

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2571231108&topic=3459

So I hope this helps. I would not agree to C Section without a 2nd opinion and asking all of these points directly to the doctor.

Even if your baby's weight was on the higher side of average right now, the estimates can be off by 300grams and nature doesn't make babies too big for mothers, normally. It would be very freakish indeed to have a truly macrosomia (big by clinical definition, i.e. 4-4.5kg) baby.

jhston

Hi again, Oh I understand now. I am a huge believer in letting the baby come out when it is ready. Development of the baby takes place right up until the day it is born, so if there is no TRUE MEDICAL reason to make a baby come out early, I would never agree to it. So C section and Induction are definitely out of the question unless me or baby is in serious danger.

Gestational diabetes can cause a bigger than normal baby, but here is the chart showing average weights by weeks and your baby is 2.5kg now which is LESS than average for 37 weeks (2.8kg). So I'd be asking the gynae why they are so worried about the weight of your baby when it is not on the big side right now.

Average fetal length and weight chart | BabyCenter

I would get the baby and the mother checked out and if no sign of distress, and no sign of freakishly big baby, then I would not allow any decision for C section yet.

As for the breech position, it is NOT true that babies do not turn after 35 weeks. They can turn on the day of labour itself. Or on the operating table before the C section happens! People are advised to check position once more before getting the incision done for C section, just in case. There is a wonderful long list of things you can do to try and get baby to turn head down. See the next link:

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2571231108&topic=3459

So I hope this helps. I would not agree to C Section without a 2nd opinion and asking all of these points directly to the doctor.

Even if your baby's weight was on the higher side of average right now, the estimates can be off by 300grams and nature doesn't make babies too big for mothers, normally. It would be very freakish indeed to have a truly macrosomia (big by clinical definition, i.e. 4-4.5kg) baby.

ah... so should we seek another gynae's advice? we are seeing a gynae at kk hospital which i am a bit regretful. at first we saw a private gynae at bukit timah. he made us wait 3 hours on the first appointment. so we changed to a kk gynae. i thought it would be cheaper since it was a public hospital. but then..., as my wife was a foreigner, we have to pay private rates at a public hospital. pre natal consultation including bloodtests, scans etc. costs close to 2.5k already. + another 500 for gestational diabetes counselling which was deducted from my medisave. deposit for c-section admission at kk is $3500++ and medisave deductable will be $2100. total about 6 k cash + 2.5 k medisave. so sad. although my wife's foreignor. i'm 100% singaporean, i served the NS. and my son's gonna be singaporean too. but i pay so much more :(

jewel885

hallow! who giving birth at MT A?? i will be giving birth there too as well

Hihi, I am new to this forum.. EDD 23jan'11.. 1st baby boy.. will be delivering at Mt Alvernia too.. =)

Not sure if I will deliver early as I went to gynae appt on 28dec'11 & my doc (Doc Phua @ Kovan) mentioned that baby is 2.5kg @ week 36 & baby already dropped lower into my pelvis.. hmm.. heard from alot of people that 1st pregnancy will most probably deliver early?

Any advice?

I do hope that I can give birth to a baby dragon boy since my EDD is right on day 1 of CNY but at this point of time.. its getting more and more painful and hard to sleep at night... haiz...

Hi jhston,

By any chance is your gynae planning their own CNY holidays? Just check it out - it came to my mind that sometimes their personal agendas can tarnish the advice they give. A C section on Jan 13 might be quite convenient for them.

I would be inclined to seek another opinion, and in the next several days before Tuesday, get your wife to try all the tricks/techniques to get the baby to turn head down. Since it sounds like you are paying for each appointment as you go, maybe you can just arrange to consult a different obstetrician instead of your current one next Tuesday. They should feel the position of the baby (and do a quick scan if there's any doubt), as well as go through all your medical records - you will need to get them all if you don't have copies already, or if you decide to visit a different hospital. If your wife still has a lot of amniotic fluid (they can measure and show you when they do the scan), then that will reassure you somewhat that at least the baby has enough space to turn.

(For the tricks/techniques, go to the facebook link above, and also refer to this other link which I just remembered i found last night when I was researching. You need to scroll 1/3 of the way down the page to get to the relevant section, "How to turn a breech baby": Prenatal Breech Issues - from Ronnie Falcão's Midwife Archives It is very good and detailed.)

FYI - My baby is breech too (now 35 weeks) and I expect I will be having a similar discussion with my doctor about C section if the baby remains breech. My doctor (from NUH) told me at my last check-up that it's rare for them to turn later in the pregnancy and he doesn't advise vaginal delivery if baby is breech. However, my prenatal teacher said they turn any time between 32-37 weeks, and not to worry as babies only turn when they are ready, and some at the very last minute. So I did a lot of reading about how to help the baby turn, and after reading the link here last night, I have used the torchlight shining on my lower belly, along with playing relaxing classical music using the ipod earphones tucked into the top of my underpants! Today I sensed a lot of movement, so I think it is having some effect!

Given the statistics that breech babies in full term pregnancy are only 2-3% of cases, I am quite optimistic for both of us, that we would not be in that 2-3%. Worrying about it too much is more likely to stop the baby turning - I read one theory that babies stay breech when the mother is fearful (they stay closer to her heart to soothe her) so talking gently to the baby and giving it permission to turn can also work.

If my baby hasn't turned by my next check-up, then I will go and see a Chiropractor for the pelvis adjustment (Webster's technique) - described in the links I've given you. You can find it on youtube too. It realigns the mother's pelvis and creates a bit of extra space which can encourage the baby to turn down. Definitely worth a try. Then as a very final resort, before C section, I might opt for the doctor to do ECV (External Cephalic Version), although I don't like the look of it. It would be better than a C section I think: External cephalic version (ECV) to turn a breech baby - YouTube

Here is a very interesting article on Gestational Diabetes which might help you and your wife: Gestational Diabetes: A Common-Sense Approach - iVillage
My baby is on the larger side of average, but I have not been tested for Gestational diabetes. NUH makes us pee on a stick every 2 weeks and so far that has been normal so perhaps they would have only tested me for GD if something had shown up there. So I have read up on "big" babies too (in a general context) as I want to be ready in case anybody tells me to induce for fear it will not fit through my pelvis! But I have learned that "clinically" big babies are defined as 4kg+ (quite unlikely!) , and my doctor reassured that there is usually no such thing as a baby too big for its mother.

I sympathise with your situation and the expenses you are facing. It doesn't seem fair that someone married to a Singaporean be charged the higher rates.
I am a foreigner too, so we are paying the private rates at NUH. We paid about $80-90 per consultation up until week 21, then signed up for the $700 package which covers all visits from 21weeks to labour. Labour is a separate bill, and since I don't have any coverage from my employer, I bought private insurance for that part, expecting to break-even as the insurance was several thousand dollars.

I wish you and your wife the very best and it is great that you are investigating things and questioning what you are being told. No matter how much we like or trust our doctors, it pays to have a healthy skepticism and do our own research as well and get 2nd opinions. Let me know how you get on after next week!

Last edited:

rongiee

Hi Jewel85!!

I am at my 36 weeks and im seeing Dr. Phua and will be delivering at Mt.A too.. What a coincidence..

My EDD is supposed to be 25/01 but it keeps jumping to 23rd and 28th.. =)

Your tummy drop already?

jewel885

Hi Jewel85!!

I am at my 36 weeks and im seeing Dr. Phua and will be delivering at Mt.A too.. What a coincidence..

My EDD is supposed to be 25/01 but it keeps jumping to 23rd and 28th.. =)

Your tummy drop already?

Hi rongiee!

great to find someone who is seeing the same gynae as me and delivering at the same hospital and edd almost same as well..

hahaa.. seems that doc phua will not have a peaceful CNY already.. since we are both giving birth around that time...

i just saw doc phua on 28dec11.. week36.. doc phua says baby dropped to my pelvis already..

recently bb have been very active at nite.. i cant sleep at all... haiz... rely hope that he can come out asap...

i m already on maternity leave so quite bored as well....

u haf facebook? add me at jewel885@gmail.com !

Hi, I read in the papers that the Dragon Year starts from 4 Feb, not 23 Jan..
Persons born within these date ranges can be said to have been born in the "Year of the Dragon," while also bearing the following elemental sign:
16 February 1904 – 3 February 1905: Wood Dragon
3 February 1916 – 22 January 1917: Fire Dragon
23 January 1928 – 9 February 1929: Earth Dragon
8 February 1940 – 26 January 1941: Metal Dragon
27 January 1952 – 13 February 1953: Water Dragon
13 February 1964 – 1 February 1965: Wood Dragon
31 January 1976 – 17 February 1977: Fire Dragon
17 February 1988 – 5 February 1989: Earth Dragon
5 February 2000 – 23 January 2001: Metal Dragon
23 January 2012 – 9 February 2013: Water Dragon
10 February 2024 – 28 January 2025: Wood Dragon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_(zodiac)

karen511

Hihi, I am new to this forum.. EDD 23jan'11.. 1st baby boy.. will be delivering at Mt Alvernia too.. =)

Not sure if I will deliver early as I went to gynae appt on 28dec'11 & my doc (Doc Phua @ Kovan) mentioned that baby is 2.5kg @ week 36 & baby already dropped lower into my pelvis.. hmm.. heard from alot of people that 1st pregnancy will most probably deliver early?

Any advice?

I do hope that I can give birth to a baby dragon boy since my EDD is right on day 1 of CNY but at this point of time.. its getting more and more painful and hard to sleep at night... haiz...
hihi, my edd also 23 jan and in KK.
my bb is quite small at 2.1kg at 36weeks.
usually first bb will be early but as long as bb is healthy can liao..

jewel885

hihi, my edd also 23 jan and in KK.
my bb is quite small at 2.1kg at 36weeks.
usually first bb will be early but as long as bb is healthy can liao..

My baby is super active these few nites and i haf sharp pain at my pelvis.. When im lying on bed and change position.. I can feel him changing position as well.. He will stretch.. Rotate his ankle & play with his hands at my pelvis area.. Veri ticklish.. I think he will come Early.. Im juz waiting fer water to break as alot of time i gt these feeling like almost breaking.. I dun think i can wait till 23jan alrdy.. But doc phua on leave now till 03jan..

charsiewsoh

Hi,

I have previously booked a confinement lady by the name of Mei Lian who came highly recommended to me by a friend. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, I will no longer need her services at my EDD in early Feb.

Due to my last minute cancellation, I'm helping her ask around for anyone due in late Jan/early Feb 2012 who will need a confinement lady urgently.

Please message me if you're keen to engage her services. I do not earn a commission for this, nor am I related to her in any way (in fact I lost my deposit with her). I just feel bad that I can't get her to do my confinement at such last minute. :embarrassed: Thanks!

Has anyone bought a breast feeding pillow yet? which brand, from where and how much? I have seen a few but they are super expensive, like $80-150. Any suggestions? thanks
I finally found a reasonably priced pillow today! It was $36 from Carrefour at SUNTEC. I also saw one for just under $40 at Metro dept store, City Square Mall. Hope this helps others out there...I didn't want to pay $80+.....!

A friend induced her baby boy at wk 39. She said she had contractions since wk 36 and she was also having gestational diabetes.
I share the same gynae as her. When I mentioned to him that my friend induced her 2.9kg baby bcos she had gestational diabetes, Dr Ben Tham asked me when was that, as he usually would not induce baby bcos of gestational diabetes and she had been controlling her diet.

I am already past 38 weeks, coming to wk 39 by this wkn. baby is 3.1kg. i do not have gestational diabetes. These few days, i feel light contractions & pre-menstrual cramps kinda of pain... and baby is moving lower... had light brownish spotting these two days too.... think baby may come earlier by a few days?

rongiee

So early on m.leave? I will be on m.leave on the 16th.. 1 week b4 edd.. company shifting on the 13th, Bo bian gotta stay n pack for relocation..

This wed I will be visiting dr phua.. Till now I still dunno bb ger drop to pelvis anot.. But bb ger has been very active from 10pm till 4am last nite.. Non stop tossing n turning in my stomach.. Lucky today still ok, not as active as ytd.. My hubby asked dr phua issit got many mummy giving birth cny, he say no leh not v bz.. Haha.. Hope our timing dun crash ah, if not howhe attend to both of us..

Actually I was also hoping to give birth during cny for the hope of a dragon bb, but seems like there was a news article that all bb born after 04/02/12 den considered dragon bb.. So ours confirm is rabbit bb Liao..

So u gotten everything ready? U hire confinement lady or doing confinement on ur own? I will be doing it partly on my own n my maid cuz she still gotta tc of 2 children in the house..

rongiee

Jewel885, ya doc phua overseas.. I wanted to visit him last week for mc as I had cough n flu.. The nurse gave mi 1 hr to reach the clinic b4 doc leave if not I gotta see private doc.. In the end I went to consult a private doc..

How u noe u gt the feeling waterbag gonna burst anytime? I only worried I cough too hard till waterbag burst cuz I have been coughing badly for the past 1 week..

MayMom

WTS : Electric baby cradle swing sarong - yao lan

Very good condition - rarely
Completed set with electric
Price : S$150
Reason to sell : Baby changed sleep pattern - latch on to sleep

Attachments