EDD Jan 2012 Mummies

Hi jhston,

By any chance is your gynae planning their own CNY holidays? Just check it out - it came to my mind that sometimes their personal agendas can tarnish the advice they give. A C section on Jan 13 might be quite convenient for them.

I would be inclined to seek another opinion, and in the next several days before Tuesday, get your wife to try all the tricks/techniques to get the baby to turn head down. Since it sounds like you are paying for each appointment as you go, maybe you can just arrange to consult a different obstetrician instead of your current one next Tuesday. They should feel the position of the baby (and do a quick scan if there's any doubt), as well as go through all your medical records - you will need to get them all if you don't have copies already, or if you decide to visit a different hospital. If your wife still has a lot of amniotic fluid (they can measure and show you when they do the scan), then that will reassure you somewhat that at least the baby has enough space to turn.

(For the tricks/techniques, go to the facebook link above, and also refer to this other link which I just remembered i found last night when I was researching. You need to scroll 1/3 of the way down the page to get to the relevant section, "How to turn a breech baby": Prenatal Breech Issues - from Ronnie Falcão's Midwife Archives It is very good and detailed.)

FYI - My baby is breech too (now 35 weeks) and I expect I will be having a similar discussion with my doctor about C section if the baby remains breech. My doctor (from NUH) told me at my last check-up that it's rare for them to turn later in the pregnancy and he doesn't advise vaginal delivery if baby is breech. However, my prenatal teacher said they turn any time between 32-37 weeks, and not to worry as babies only turn when they are ready, and some at the very last minute. So I did a lot of reading about how to help the baby turn, and after reading the link here last night, I have used the torchlight shining on my lower belly, along with playing relaxing classical music using the ipod earphones tucked into the top of my underpants! Today I sensed a lot of movement, so I think it is having some effect!

Given the statistics that breech babies in full term pregnancy are only 2-3% of cases, I am quite optimistic for both of us, that we would not be in that 2-3%. Worrying about it too much is more likely to stop the baby turning - I read one theory that babies stay breech when the mother is fearful (they stay closer to her heart to soothe her) so talking gently to the baby and giving it permission to turn can also work.

If my baby hasn't turned by my next check-up, then I will go and see a Chiropractor for the pelvis adjustment (Webster's technique) - described in the links I've given you. You can find it on youtube too. It realigns the mother's pelvis and creates a bit of extra space which can encourage the baby to turn down. Definitely worth a try. Then as a very final resort, before C section, I might opt for the doctor to do ECV (External Cephalic Version), although I don't like the look of it. It would be better than a C section I think: External cephalic version (ECV) to turn a breech baby - YouTube

Here is a very interesting article on Gestational Diabetes which might help you and your wife: Gestational Diabetes: A Common-Sense Approach - iVillage
My baby is on the larger side of average, but I have not been tested for Gestational diabetes. NUH makes us pee on a stick every 2 weeks and so far that has been normal so perhaps they would have only tested me for GD if something had shown up there. So I have read up on "big" babies too (in a general context) as I want to be ready in case anybody tells me to induce for fear it will not fit through my pelvis! But I have learned that "clinically" big babies are defined as 4kg+ (quite unlikely!) , and my doctor reassured that there is usually no such thing as a baby too big for its mother.

I sympathise with your situation and the expenses you are facing. It doesn't seem fair that someone married to a Singaporean be charged the higher rates.
I am a foreigner too, so we are paying the private rates at NUH. We paid about $80-90 per consultation up until week 21, then signed up for the $700 package which covers all visits from 21weeks to labour. Labour is a separate bill, and since I don't have any coverage from my employer, I bought private insurance for that part, expecting to break-even as the insurance was several thousand dollars.

I wish you and your wife the very best and it is great that you are investigating things and questioning what you are being told. No matter how much we like or trust our doctors, it pays to have a healthy skepticism and do our own research as well and get 2nd opinions. Let me know how you get on after next week!
Hi jhston, I'm wondering how your wife got on at her check-up this week - I hope everything is OK?

I had my checkup yesterday and the baby has turned down!! Our doctor was quite surprised as I am 36 weeks, and asked what we did to facilitate his turning, as the baby has been Breech for the entire pregnancy. We are very happy. We will never know why the baby turned down, and whether it was because of any of the things I did from those links. It was probably just that the baby decided on his own that he was ready. Just like what I read - they turn down anywhere from 32-37 weeks.

venusmama

hi mums to be, i wish you ladies best of luck for the oncoming edd. mine was supposed to be on the 6th of Jan but she decided to come out on the 31st Dec 2011. has been an experience for me the past week....labour is one thing.....its after that that needs constant support........and learning......whoaaa.....
best of luck to u ladies.. pls post the labour experience.....

welenalexis

hi mums to be, i wish you ladies best of luck for the oncoming edd. mine was supposed to be on the 6th of Jan but she decided to come out on the 31st Dec 2011. has been an experience for me the past week....labour is one thing.....its after that that needs constant support........and learning......whoaaa.....
best of luck to u ladies.. pls post the labour experience.....
Wow congrats on your newborn! It must have been a wonderful experience for you. Did you go for natural birth w/wo epi or csec? Im still hanging on till my edd. Hopeful for a dragon baby if possible. How have you been managing with a newborn? Hope everything is ok..

melcochas

Hi mommies!

I have safely delivered my baby boy on 3rd Jan weighing a healthy 3110grams.

He's on total breastmilk. Mummying is hard :s but im enjoying it :)

First week was tough. I had a bit of depression and was crying everyday..

jhston

Hi, my wife delivered our baby on 05/01/2012 via c-section. We listened to what the doctor said which was to go for c-sec at 38 wks. Breeched. My boy looks really cute. A bit small at 2.85kg but he was very healthy. Juandice level was normal when discharged from hospital. He weighs 3.3kg now. Juandice lvl hit 220 last week but it got down yesterday. He's fully breastfed. He cries for milk every 2hrs at night and we couldn't sleep at all. But starting to get better now. As first time parents we learns something new everyday. Anybody knows what to do if his stomach got lots of 'wind'? he gets hiccups after feeding. Last for about 10-15mins each time. Sometimes he puke milk.

sjchan

I'd delivered (induction, normal with epidural) on 9 Jan. My EDD is 7 Jan. Very tiring in 1st wk. currently is mixture of breast feeding and FM because my baby demand for breast milk almost every hour and my milk supply is still slow. Hopefully my milk flow will be getting better in following weeks then I able go for full breast feeding.

chjean

congrats to all who have delivered! it must have been a delightful moment holding your little one in your hand!!

i'm counting down to my days, csec next Wed!!!!!

Congratulations to everyone and their new bundles of joy!

I received good news from a friend yesterday - her doctor wanted to induce her with the chemicals on Sunday as she was "over due" by 7 days. But she saw another doctor who said it was better not to, given that she and the baby were both doing fine. So she waited and she only waited for 1 day because she went into labour naturally.

Her contractions started at 8pm, and she reached hospital at 10pm. Baby was born at 11.15pm!

Her baby knew exactly when it wanted to come and it came FAST. I can only hope for a fast labour like that too :) Thought it was a great story.

I'd delivered (induction, normal with epidural) on 9 Jan. My EDD is 7 Jan. Very tiring in 1st wk. currently is mixture of breast feeding and FM because my baby demand for breast milk almost every hour and my milk supply is still slow. Hopefully my milk flow will be getting better in following weeks then I able go for full breast feeding.
Hi sjchan -

Congratulations! Can I ask though why you needed the induction 2 days after your EDD? I think I remember you said once that your gynae was very keen not to induce you.

On the breast feeding, don't worry too much that your supply is low - it's normal at first. So long as your baby is gaining weight it is OK. Is your baby doing well? Their tummy is still so tiny probably, so just relax and the milk will come more and more.

Hi mummies,

Congrats to those who have delivered their babies! I've also delivered my baby boy at wk 39. He weighed 3kg. Had wanted total breastfeeding but 1st baby, milk supply was not in so fast or enough. mother in law insisted to have formula in hospital. So started on formula. sigh! milk came in but engorged. saw a lactation consultant. hope the milk will flow abundantly!
have used electric pump to pump a few times a day but not enough.
I had post-natal blues & cried almost everyday last week too. Hormones topsy turvy.

I have a Burmese domestic helper who some times drives me up the wall too!
On last Sun, she demanded for her salary from me when she had only worked for less than 2 weeks with us! I told her we had paid her loan of 7 mths to the agency on her behalf. I was so upset that I called my hubby who rushed home. Called the maid agency who got the translator to talk to her & explain clearly. The maid said it was her sister who asked her to ask. Hubby should not have made the calls for her to Myanmar & Malaysia using his handphone. She eats a lot too... 7 slices of bread & thick milo for breakfast. 3 bowls of rice during lunch / dinner. We allow her to eat as much as she wants.

Hubby said I should not have spoilt her by allowing her to sit at the same table to eat with us. Now she will sit in the kitchen to eat. We had bought new mattress, new pillow, new bedsheets, new blanket, new fan, toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, container to put toothpaste & brush, shower stuff & towel, pail) and 5 pairs of bermudas for her (coz she wears jeans in the home to work. She only has 1 handcarry bag.) But I doubt she is really appreciative! (see below)

In her biodata, she stated she is willing to take care of newborn, willing to go without handphone. Guess what, in less than 1 wk, she asked me if she could have a handphone after 6 mths. She also said she would want to work in Malaysia after her 2-year contract as her sister & auntie are there. Hubby has a uncle with a Burmese maid - MIL called her to talk to our maid. Our maid complains that she has to wake up at night to look after baby when he cries - changes diaper, milk. My hubby & I also wake up at night when baby cries. In fact, we ask the maid to sleep at 9am. She wakes up at 7+am. Both hubby & I zzz at midnight or even later to tend to baby's night feed first. I even allow the maid to take afternoon nap but she didn't say that to hubby's uncle's Burmese maid! 1st time getting a maid. Now I know why hubby said cannot spoil them!

Last edited:

sjchan

Hi sjchan -

Congratulations! Can I ask though why you needed the induction 2 days after your EDD? I think I remember you said once that your gynae was very keen not to induce you.

On the breast feeding, don't worry too much that your supply is low - it's normal at first. So long as your baby is gaining weight it is OK. Is your baby doing well? Their tummy is still so tiny probably, so just relax and the milk will come more and more.
My gynae suggest to induce due to EDD overdue. Now my milk flow still slow and can't meet my baby demand. My baby cry almost every hour for milk and I can see her chubby face become smaller and no gaining weight. Then i decided to increase FM feeding for her. If still no improvent on my milk flow, I need to seek advise from lactation consultant after my confinement.

welenalexis

Hi sjchuan. Same here. Im already overdue too. Edd suppose to be 20jan. So gynae advice me to be induced on 26 jan. Did you ask for epi immediately after they induced you? How long was your labour and which hosp?

Hi sjchuan. Same here. Im already overdue too. Edd suppose to be 20jan. So gynae advice me to be induced on 26 jan. Did you ask for epi immediately after they induced you? How long was your labour and which hosp?
Don't let your doctor induce you unless you or your baby are in danger. You EDD was Jan 20 and it's only Jan 22 - that is nothing to worry about. Even Jan 26 is not late. There is no such thing as a "late baby" when EDDs are guesstimates only and only 5% of women have their baby on their due date. The average is 41 weeks and 3 days! Your baby will come when ready.

The drugs for Induction (Pitocin - an artificial form of Ocytocin) make labour much more painful. watch this video:

Pitocin clip-Business of Being Born - YouTube

My gynae suggest to induce due to EDD overdue. Now my milk flow still slow and can't meet my baby demand. My baby cry almost every hour for milk and I can see her chubby face become smaller and no gaining weight. Then i decided to increase FM feeding for her. If still no improvent on my milk flow, I need to seek advise from lactation consultant after my confinement.
Can't you get the lactation consultant to come to your house and advise you now, instead of waiting until after confinement period? Or perhaps there is a paediatrician who knows about this to come make a house visit? In my prenatal classes, we were told that babies might cry every hour for milk because they go through growth spurts VERY often and you should just keep feeding and don't worry.

Also, for the crying, have you seen the Baby Language by Priscilla Dunstan? Babies have 5 sounds that they make and the hungry noise is "Neh" - watch the videos:

Dunstan Baby Language - As Seen On Oprah - YouTube

I still went out of my home during confinement. went to see gynae, PD and lactation consultant.
I dont think you shld wait till the confinement period is over to see a lactation consultant

sjchan

I still went out of my home during confinement. went to see gynae, PD and lactation consultant.
I dont think you shld wait till the confinement period is over to see a lactation consultant
I wanted to do do but I back to my hometown in Malaysia to continue my confinement coz my mum who help me to do confinement want to go back hometown. No lactation consultant in my hometown also. I plan to call to get advise 1st.

welenalexis

Don't let your doctor induce you unless you or your baby are in danger. You EDD was Jan 20 and it's only Jan 22 - that is nothing to worry about. Even Jan 26 is not late. There is no such thing as a "late baby" when EDDs are guesstimates only and only 5% of women have their baby on their due date. The average is 41 weeks and 3 days! Your baby will come when ready.

The drugs for Induction (Pitocin - an artificial form of Ocytocin) make labour much more painful. watch this video:

Pitocin clip-Business of Being Born - YouTube

Hi booboomum,
Im so against induction too but no choice. Gynae is afraid baby will be too big for normal deliery which may results in e csect. I only get frequents cramps and spotting recently. I hope i will dilate further and fast within thr few days. These days also stress me..

Hi booboomum,
Im so against induction too but no choice. Gynae is afraid baby will be too big for normal deliery which may results in e csect. I only get frequents cramps and spotting recently. I hope i will dilate further and fast within thr few days. These days also stress me..
Hi welenalexis

Read the 2 links in this old post of mine. It talks about the fear of babies being "too big" and how that is "bullSh*t" usually.
I would really question and respectfully doubt your gynae who could be causing you a lot of undue worry.
Nature generally doesn't make babies that are too big for their mothers! It is good news that you have frequent cramping and spotting - it is a sign that your cervix is opening and thinning so you could be in the very early stages now of your labour so just relax and please don't let it all stress you out. Thinking of you :)

http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f171/edd-jan-2012-mummies-66688/index30.html#post612841

I wanted to do do but I back to my hometown in Malaysia to continue my confinement coz my mum who help me to do confinement want to go back hometown. No lactation consultant in my hometown also. I plan to call to get advise 1st.
Hi sjchan

Good idea to call up your hospital and ask for the lactation consultant. You can also watch videos on youtube on how to breastfeed and ensure that your baby is getting the correct "latch" on your breast. I have never done it before but one of the best things I learned was that it's "breast feeding" and not "nipple feeding" so they have to get a very deep latch of your breast to be able to suckle effectively and get the milk.

If you feed them formula using a bottle with a plastic nipple, they don't 'learn' the proper breast sucking mechanism, which is more difficult for them than sucking from a bottle. Hence, it's important for the baby to learn to take your breast early on, or they get what is called "nipple confusion". Remember, breast milk production is all about demand and supply - if you let your baby suck your breasts, your breasts will "catch up" and produce what is needed by your baby. Nature won't usually let you or your baby down! But if you give formula milk, then your breasts won't know that the baby wants them to produce.

Your baby was induced too, so it's possible that your breasts do need bit of time to "catch up" so maybe you can also use a pump on them to show them that there is demand now for the milk.

There are herbs you can take in capsule format - go to Holland & Barrett in Singapore (they have 5-6 branches) or ask a friend to buy and mail to you - Fenugreek, and Raspberry Leaf, are both natural herbal supplements which can help your body produce breast milk. I plan to take them both to help with my milk production. I am already taking Raspberry Leaf now because it also helps prepare the uterus for birthing, making it relaxed.

Wishing you luck - have trust in your body and don't be disturbed by hourly crying as it's normal in some babies - just check that the hourly crying is indeed the "hunger" noise of "NEH" and not something else. Hoping that you can find some very helpful information on line.

Last edited: