EDD Nov 2012 mummies here

Any mummies doing total breastfeeding here? How often does your BB poo? I feed my baby about 5 times of formula in a week, the rest are breast milk. She poo about twice in 8 days. Is that normal?

shanney

My bb is on total bm. She didnt poo for 5 days and we brought her to pd. Pd said if on bm, it cld b that bb totally absorb all the nutrients in e bm.n hence no poo. She also said if 10days no poo then see her.

But on e safe side, she did an enema on my bb to make her poo to check if her poo is soft or hard. Soft is ok.

joasiss

Im lighter than before i was pregnant now. Looking after baby non stop for the past one over month made me lose weight too fast.

maogou

Hi mummies, I am a first time mum to a dragon boy who is on total breastfeed. Recently I realised that his sucking is not as strong as before, and I suspect he is not drinking enough. He would push and pull out, relatch again. I checked for thrush and there is nothing. I make sure he is not overly tired during breastfeeding so that he will not fall asleep during breastfeeding. All these is not improving.

So I've decided to pump out the milk and bottle feed him. He doesnt push and pull away, and he is sucking on the teat so strongly. What could have gone wrong that affect his sucking while latch on ? Did I miss out anything =(((((

He is doing this all the time? How old is your boy?

My boy just turned 4 months and i am exclusively breastfeeding. Hardly bottle feeds, maybe once in 3 or 4 weeks. Sometimes he doesnt want to drink much - he will stop when breast is still half full and refuse to drink. I just let him be and usually he will resume feeding when hungry. Lately he doesnt fuss so much after 3 hours too. i can play with him and distract him and it can be up to 4 hrs during the day before he actually gets cranky and wants to feed.

Is it because he is not hungry? the bigger babies grow they should be able to last longer and do not need to feed every 3 hours.

Hi mummies, I am a first time mum to a dragon boy who is on total breastfeed. Recently I realised that his sucking is not as strong as before, and I suspect he is not drinking enough. He would push and pull out, relatch again. I checked for thrush and there is nothing. I make sure he is not overly tired during breastfeeding so that he will not fall asleep during breastfeeding. All these is not improving.

So I've decided to pump out the milk and bottle feed him. He doesnt push and pull away, and he is sucking on the teat so strongly. What could have gone wrong that affect his sucking while latch on ? Did I miss out anything =(((((

maogou

hi babyeskimo thanks for the reply!

my baby just turned 4 months old. As i feed on demand, he would want to feed every one hourly. But I am glad that he sleeps through the nights most of the time. Does that mean he is getting enough to last through the night ? Although the push aways & relatach has lessen, it still happens and is beginning to hurt. I am actually confused by his new behavior. I thought probably he has gas or something while feeding... but I couldn't feel anything. As mentioned i would pump out, he rejects bottles too. I am very worried as he is borderline underweight (he was a low birth weight baby). Breastfeeding has went well for us until he turned 3 months old.....

joasiss

Could it be that he wants faster milk flow now that he is older?
My son also seems to dislike his milk. He is almost on full EBM. We have a hard time making him drink when he is awake so we feed him when he is half asleep or when not so hungry (and crying). He can finish a lot this way. Maybe u can try giving bottle during nap times.

hi babyeskimo thanks for the reply!

my baby just turned 4 months old. As i feed on demand, he would want to feed every one hourly. But I am glad that he sleeps through the nights most of the time. Does that mean he is getting enough to last through the night ? Although the push aways & relatach has lessen, it still happens and is beginning to hurt. I am actually confused by his new behavior. I thought probably he has gas or something while feeding... but I couldn't feel anything. As mentioned i would pump out, he rejects bottles too. I am very worried as he is borderline underweight (he was a low birth weight baby). Breastfeeding has went well for us until he turned 3 months old.....

maogou

Hi i spoke to a counseller from Breastfeeding Support Group yesterday... after accessing the situation we suspect blocked nose, ear infection and was advised to see the paediatrician. His pd suspects colic and stuffy nose likely to cause his reaction during breastfeeding and prescribed gripe water, Illiadin and Sterimar nasal spray. Although I do not feel him passing gas or rumbling tummy during bf, maybe he did have colic or muscle spasm... will give the gripe water a try and see how it goes..

As for the stuffy nose, he has it every morning and night... maybe the congestion is causing him sucking difficulties too =(

thank you mummies for the replies. Will see how it goes from here =))

He is feeding on demand every hour?? that seems unusual for a 4 month old. sounds like he is not getting enough at the feed then. good to hear you seem to have identified the problem. hope your son gets better soon

blocked nose is really difficult for feeding - it makes it hard for them to suckle and breathe at the same time so better clear the stuffy nose

Hi i spoke to a counseller from Breastfeeding Support Group yesterday... after accessing the situation we suspect blocked nose, ear infection and was advised to see the paediatrician. His pd suspects colic and stuffy nose likely to cause his reaction during breastfeeding and prescribed gripe water, Illiadin and Sterimar nasal spray. Although I do not feel him passing gas or rumbling tummy during bf, maybe he did have colic or muscle spasm... will give the gripe water a try and see how it goes..

As for the stuffy nose, he has it every morning and night... maybe the congestion is causing him sucking difficulties too =(

thank you mummies for the replies. Will see how it goes from here =))

MSK

Any mummies whose baby is starting to "dislike" milk? It is getting challenging feeding my baby cos she keeps turning her head away and pushing the teat out, refusing to drink.... Her feeding times can drag till 4-5 hours! :( Heart pain when I see her daily milk intake drop.... Is it ok to introduce solids now?

MSK

Oh yes, teething is possible! :) but then is there any way to ensure they still drink their milk? My girl's milk intake has declined so I am thinking of starting some solids for her... But dunno whether it is too early...

SGNZ

Yeah, just have to keep trying on different position etc. Are you bf or formula? How many months is your baby? I think pd say 4-6 or when your baby is ready. My baby is 5 months, I have not started yet too. Thinking nearer to 6th month might try

MSK

My baby on fm, now 4 months 3weeks... Ya actually I plan to start solids at 6months too cos i read that 6 months is the best time to intro solids, but seems like maybe I might have to start when she is 5 months :/

teriwinkle

There was a period of time my baby drinks a lot lesser during her 4th month, probably due to teething! Now she is 5 months and her appetite is back!

My baby on fm, now 4 months 3weeks... Ya actually I plan to start solids at 6months too cos i read that 6 months is the best time to intro solids, but seems like maybe I might have to start when she is 5 months :/

PockyMummy

ummm.. My boy is turning 4 months 3 weeks old but I've already feed him with organic rice cereal and those bottle mashed carrots which are meant for aged 4 months and above.. =)