EDD Sept 2012 mummies!

huckleberry

Hi,
Joined long ago and realised its been a good 8 months!
Was wondering if mummies have any feeding schedule?
I stopped bf but everytime without fail my gal wanna latch at night before she can sleep! Any advice from mummies?
And on off from 8pm to 6am, she will make noise for 4-5 times and once offered my breast she will suck and continue her sleep how?

And I am interested to join the Sep mummies Face Book group can any kind soul add me in?

Thanks
Rosaline

tealeaf

been a long time since I log in to this. and this thread is very active and I hardly can catch all of the msg-es. :)

huckleberry, to wean off, you need to harden your heart. of course your baby will look for your breast for comfort. so you need to hug her and let her sleep. this will be nightmare for few days (as my friend explained to me and I dread the time I need to wean off). of course every day you have to tell her nicely that she needs to sleep without your breast.
my plan is to wean off after 1 year. now still fully latched and yes, I am not working.

Piglim

Oh tealeaf, thanks for reviving this thread.. Everyone seems to be communicating on Facebook instead ;(((( I am not part of the Facebook cos I don't really like the Facebook thingy.

huckleberry, I thought I am the only one facing this problem... So glad to know that I am not alone (the power of sharing on this thread)
someone told me to try letting others bottle feed and I must stay far away... But it was really not easy. My son could pull my mother in law out from the room just to find me in the kitchen.. And he has been pulling my shirt and bra telling me he wants milk... For the first two nights I succeeded in giving him formula milk... But today failed.. He drank half and he just kept putting my hands on my chest!! I wonder if when he turns one he can understand the reason for weaning off.. Or would that be worst?

i would also like to know from you mummies how do you decide on which brand of formula milk to give? I read that there is no such thing as best milk but the "best" would be the milk that your child chooses to drink. When I tried to feed my son with formula lately (he is turning 1 in a mths time!) I started off with DUMEX. Threw away few bottles of milk alrdy then I tried S26 also the same he just simple refused. Now he still seems fine drinking friso.. (Heard its the cheapest milk) so I don't know whether I should be happy or not becos it seems similac milk has a lot of those DNA probiotic IQ, this and that and of cos the most expensive (Singaporean mentality? Exp=good?) thank goodness the powders I have are all samples.... Now I still have two more samples from similac and nestle but they are for 1yrs onwards... Mummies what should I do? Stick to friso or try the samples first then decides?

My son has been passing motion like 2 days once.. Is this considered constipation?

Wonder how other mummies are getting along... Do share your stories here k?

Janlove

Mummy piglim, my baby is also turning one and I recently tried switching him to formula too and it seems like everyone's experience...baby does not want formula!!
i gave him similac and frisco but he rejected then when I have him mamil gold he drank abit then rejected so I went to mix the formula and bm together..not sure if I can do that but I worked! He slowly switch to formula and now I give him with bm or formula.
Guess if your baby likes that brand can stick to it unless you have those sachets samples ffor him to try :)
I heard from my frd she also gave her baby many brands to try until one he likes then she sticks to it :)

KiBin

Oh tealeaf, thanks for reviving this thread.. Everyone seems to be communicating on Facebook instead ;(((( I am not part of the Facebook cos I don't really like the Facebook thingy.

huckleberry, I thought I am the only one facing this problem... So glad to know that I am not alone (the power of sharing on this thread)
someone told me to try letting others bottle feed and I must stay far away... But it was really not easy. My son could pull my mother in law out from the room just to find me in the kitchen.. And he has been pulling my shirt and bra telling me he wants milk... For the first two nights I succeeded in giving him formula milk... But today failed.. He drank half and he just kept putting my hands on my chest!! I wonder if when he turns one he can understand the reason for weaning off.. Or would that be worst?

i would also like to know from you mummies how do you decide on which brand of formula milk to give? I read that there is no such thing as best milk but the "best" would be the milk that your child chooses to drink. When I tried to feed my son with formula lately (he is turning 1 in a mths time!) I started off with DUMEX. Threw away few bottles of milk alrdy then I tried S26 also the same he just simple refused. Now he still seems fine drinking friso.. (Heard its the cheapest milk) so I don't know whether I should be happy or not becos it seems similac milk has a lot of those DNA probiotic IQ, this and that and of cos the most expensive (Singaporean mentality? Exp=good?) thank goodness the powders I have are all samples.... Now I still have two more samples from similac and nestle but they are for 1yrs onwards... Mummies what should I do? Stick to friso or try the samples first then decides?

My son has been passing motion like 2 days once.. Is this considered constipation?

Wonder how other mummies are getting along... Do share your stories here k?
Hi Piglim, to know if it's consitpation, you have to see if your bb cries or is having a hard time when he poo.. also, check to see if the poo is hard and dry...

Piglim

Janlove, oh yes when I called parent craft Thomson for advice they told me to mix breast milk with formula too like 30/70% then 50/50% and gradually full formula.. I think my son just got used to the latch before slp habit..

Kibin, thanks. Hmmm.. His face sometimes goes red n you can see he "cake" very hard... But the next day can be back to musy with some dragon fruit seeds. Haha he simply loves that fruit! So that's y I also dunno whether that's considered constipation because after all he still poos!

so any mummies trying for #2 already? Haha...

reiann

Yup mixing breast milk and formula is the way to start and gradually introduce formula to baby.

As for weaning, at night, don't make it a habit if nurse and latch to sleep. Break the habit by, after putting baby in bed after nursing, read a bedtime story from a book. Then say night night. And stick to this every single night. Don't change the book, the habit. Don't let baby fall asleep in breast. After a while baby will know its not breast to sleep but everything - the ritual of dinner, play, bath, change, nurse for milk, bedtime story, sleep. I've done it. I used to nurse to sleep but it became a problem. I did this and baby took to it quickly.

As for night time wakings. My baby is damn noisy too. She technically sttn as in doesnt need milk but she'd wake at night to cry then fall back asleep. It's v disruptive to my sleep. Most times she falls back asleep by herself quite quickly but sometimes she doesn't so I give her water. I always have a bottle of water next to her bed. She takes water no problem. So essentially I don't bf her at night at all. Only did it when she was sick.

Still breastfeeding but am really thinking if stopping...

tealeaf

piglim, for formula, no right or wrong. there is also no best formula because the best is still breast milk. having said that, whatever your baby chooses, it's best for her. I am thinking to let her try fresh milk after 1yo because she rejects every formula. rejects bottle also.

for constipation, every 2 day she will poo with effort and it's hard. then I give mango/pear/yogurt/papaya and the day after it's pasty again. haiz, my girl is prone to constipation (dont know whether it's constipation, i just call it that hehehe). I am using essential oil to help her poo easily. it works if I am hardworking to apply 3x a day.
I am happy that until now my baby is seldom sick (one time fever during the second tooth coming out) partly due to essential oils. :D

Piglim

Reiann how u feed your baby with water? My son refuses sippy cup n can only be spoon fed. When he drinks and realised it's water he'll spit out.. :(( hmm quite a task if I have to do it at night. Bedtime my son loves story reading n will give me different books to read.. Last night I read 5 books to him! (He chose it)

can any of your babies suck from e straw alrdy? Are they still eating mashed puréed food? My son still does (for his porridge-he will gag if I give abit more solid) , other than e occasional biscuits n fruits. So far he still has only 2 bottom teeth. But can see the top 4 coming out very soon ;)

reiann

Piglim-- I give water in bottle with teat. But medium flow, faster than milk bottle teat when she drinks pumped bm. She doesn't usually gag. But when I feed water in cup she does gag and sputter sometimes!

try giving fresh coconut water. One of the best things for any baby or adult. But must be fresh. It's so good for babies and naturally sweet, your baby will drink it. Can dilute it slowly w time and hopefully then he can take plain water?

As for food-- my baby still has only one growing tooth but she can him stuff. All babies can - they don't need teeth to chew. But, whether they want to or not... Anyway my baby can take mash food lumpy food and even tender steamed food. Eg asparagus sticks. Just steam tender, cool, and offer. Those very thin ones. She had no teeth then but no problem sucking and gumming.

tealeaf

piglim, my bb drinks from straw since 7mth. I showed her how to use straw and she tried few times and succeeded. not giving puree now coz i am lazy. just mix everything into porridge.

PeiPei A

My son was born on 5 Oct so actually belong to Oct mummies but I like this thread alot... Don't mind I join in.. hohoho

Still breastfeeding... I'm worried my breastmilk might be decreasing and baby taking lesser. How do you know if the breastmilk is stopping?

reiann

PeiPei - how often do you breastfeed? you shouldn't worry - if your baby wants more, he/she'll ask for more, and feed more often/longer. if you're also giving solid food, breast milk is not as 'important'. it's part of his diet, not solely his diet anymore.

PeiPei A

Hi Reiann,

I'm giving him HealthyTimez brown rice cereal but not much, about 6 scoop once a day only.
Not sure if should increase the solid intake, since I read that breast milk is still the best for less than 1 yr old. How much do you feed yours?

When I'm with him, I breastfeed him whenever he ask for it (probably 2hrs interval), he will pull my shirt, but he won't latch for long.
When I'm at work, away from 9-7, my mom helps to feed him, but he doesn't seems to take a lot, about total 360ml EBM + cereal and fruits. Do you think he's underfed? :(

Another problem I nurse him to sleep. And during the sleep when I detect him fidgeting, I will latch him back to sleep immediately (in laying position), cause I scare if he really awake and will have a more difficult time getting him back to sleep.

I read that you have successfully break the nurse to sleep habit, that is amazing... Think it will be very difficult and a big problem for mine :(

Piglim

Hey peipei, actually I think ur case better than mine. Sigh.. My son is turning 1 in 3 weeks time. And he is drinking only 250ml in the day (when I am away) he has three meals a day though. Morning is cereal, (1/3 of a bowl) then lunch and dinner is porridge (full bowl-more than what I eat actually haha) but when it comes to night time he drinks 120ml formula then latch on cos my breastmilk is getting lesser also dunno why (ESP when my period is near). Think at night before he sleeps can drink at least 200ml (base on my estimation)

haiz.. I just went to the pd yesterday becos my son (who just started formula) seems to be having constipation. He can dont poo for 2 days then 3rd day poo 5 times. 1st time normal, 2-4 time hard lump of marbles and 5th time watery.. Pd commented that my son is small size which worries me alot. I feel very upset because I can't take care of my son full time. My mil who is the care giver is hopeless.. She is why my son drinks so little- cos my mil doesn't give a fix amount of milk. Now give 50ml, next feed give 80, happy happy give 100ml... Totally no system. Then whenever she feeds she is so impatient, my son sometimes take up 40mins to finish his meal. When he is under my care during wkends he finishes everything. But when it's wkdays my mil feeds, she says he only eat few spoons.. It's really upsetting. Haiz even my hubby also says he knows bout this cos when he was younger his mum doesn't know how to take care of kids all his siblings r all underweight.

Frustrating right?

anw mummies can I check with you how do you all make ur porridge now? Can share the receipe? Cos I dunno if it's the reason of him under eating and not eating nutrientious food.

what I do now is, I put one piece of meal n 6 milk spoons of rice into the slow cooker and cook. Then I will add 2 cubes of meat and 2 cubes of vegetables into the porridge bowl. Is this enuff? The reason why I still use cubes (I freeze some of his food) cos he still can't eat chunkier food, so now still blend his stuff. But this wkend I will try and chop carrots and spinach leaf instead and put into his porridge.

Janlove

Mummy piglim jia you!
i also have to work hence cannot take care of my baby full time and control the food he ate!
But weekend I gave him porridge with one meat n one veg..I anyhow mix...I'm not a good mummy :(
anyway my baby seems to have a mind of his own already! He decides what he want and don't want to eat. Do you face the same issue?

PeiPei A

Oh Piglim, must be hard dealing with mil. Jia you.

I'm glad is my own mother helped me. Even though I feel less worries letting mother take care than outsiders / childcare center, how I wish I can quit my job and be with my baby full time. Feel that babies grow up tooo fast :( really wanna cherish these moments.