Educational DVDs

corinne22

Hi, may I know what educational DVDs are you letting your children watch?

By far, my favourite is Sesame Street because they will teach ABCs...1,2,3s...Colours...

I need some recommendations so that I can buy for my child.

I hate teletubbies and I swear I won't let my baby watch.
And I feel Dora and Spongebob is too action packed and not that educational.

ast0212

At the moment my 14 month old watches Little Pim DVDs to learn Italian and Chinese. He's picked up many words from there. I occasionally let him watch a TV program called Play School that has songs, dance, lots of talking, storytime and pretend play. That's as educational as it gets for him right now because he'll learn his ABCs and numbers eventually.

Haffilicious

By far, my favourite is Sesame Street because they will teach ABCs...1,2,3s...Colours...

Hi Corinne,

Really depends how old your son is and what stage of learning they are at. LeapFrog is great for Phonics like what apollo said, Barney is pretty educational too - teaches the shapes, colours and feelings which my child likes

If you are undecided, can try out this website which rents out DVDs before you buy, Kidswift - Rent Children Educational Videos and DVDs Online

They also have a listing on kiasuparents

Kidswift: Rent LeapFrog and other Educational DVDs.Try Free | KiasuParents

hope this helps =)

maichiang

Hi everyone, i was wondering the same thing..mi boi is onli 6 mnths..bt i think its high time to start introducing him to educational vcds n dvds?..what are the sum vcds/dvds that can keep a child interested..i would want to buy sumthing that would last till mi boi is of 4-5yrs old..

could you kindly list down all the vcds/dvds that you guys have? in the order of 'must-have' to 'should-have' to 'would-have'..

on the sidenote,i would like to know what toys are educational n fun..sumthing that can be played till he's a toddler..der are so many toys & its so confusing..on top of that,sum toys doesnt mean to interest mi boi,a totally waste of money..n it doesnt help that toys arent cheap..i hope to see a couple of suggestions..thks you all in advance:001_302:

apollo

maichiang, u can try Your Baby Can Read. My son has been watching YBCR from ard 4-5mth old. and now he can recognise and read out some words that he learn from YBCR. We also didnt noe hwe was actually learning from it cos he always dont respond when we ask him how to read but one day he just open the books (i got YBCR books tgt with the disc but u can make ur own flash cards) and read out loud. And aft he turned 1yo, we started to buy other dvds like leapfrogs, sesame street to let him learn alphabets and numbers. but of cos, u gonna limit the time they watch tv. though is educational ones, but still have to limit. most dvds only ard 30-40 min. let them watch 1-2 times a day is enough and make sure u try to stay beside him and read out loud and 'learn' tgt with him =)

As for toys, i used to get Fisherprice ones until he is older lik 1yo onwards, i started to get him leapfrog toys. but honestly, i kind of regret buying too much toys for him. cos for toys, he actually prefer cars so nowadays we will get him cars (though not educational) but he likes them. and i will get him books and dvds if i want him to learn sth new. =)

maichiang

maichiang, u can try Your Baby Can Read. My son has been watching YBCR from ard 4-5mth old. and now he can recognise and read out some words that he learn from YBCR. We also didnt noe hwe was actually learning from it cos he always dont respond when we ask him how to read but one day he just open the books (i got YBCR books tgt with the disc but u can make ur own flash cards) and read out loud. And aft he turned 1yo, we started to buy other dvds like leapfrogs, sesame street to let him learn alphabets and numbers. but of cos, u gonna limit the time they watch tv. though is educational ones, but still have to limit. most dvds only ard 30-40 min. let them watch 1-2 times a day is enough and make sure u try to stay beside him and read out loud and 'learn' tgt with him =)

As for toys, i used to get Fisherprice ones until he is older lik 1yo onwards, i started to get him leapfrog toys. but honestly, i kind of regret buying too much toys for him. cos for toys, he actually prefer cars so nowadays we will get him cars (though not educational) but he likes them. and i will get him books and dvds if i want him to learn sth new. =)
hmmm..wow,tts gr8..am alr looking through YBCR,gonna buy it soon..i do let him listen n watch nursery rhythm..bt his attention span is very limited bt like u said,who knows..maybe its in his head alr? ehehehe...bt he loves watching tv..i let him watch like a couple of hrs per dae..is it bad? i hope it doesnt affect his eyesight too much..

yea! i bought a few ex toys too bt he doesnt like..those tt he like,he will kip playin..why i am keen in buying toys is cz it keeps him occupied..at least i can do mi chores or rest for a while..so since i am buying,might as well as buy those educational type..bt der are so many=S

apollo

ya their attention span is very short so if he is not interested aft watching for 5-10min, just let him be, dont force him. somemore watching the tv for too long is not good for them, tt's y 1-2x a day (each disc usually is ard 30min) is more than enough. u also can try flash cards cos YBCR is using the flash cards method too.

shiyi8033

Mostly everything is on youtube.
Just a recommendation why not search for an enrichment program like learning through play.

joysparker

Looking for new topics and interest not being met in school for your kids? Try Allschool this Christmas!

We're offering a special 12.12 promotion for all classes on Allschool.

bit.ly/allschool-1212-mummysg

Feel free to share with your family and friends.