Employing Maid is no longer easy in Singapore...eerrr

Hello There,
Is anyone looking for employing a maid here? I am looking for a maid for 3 days already and from all the agency got to know that the price for a fresh maid has shoot up to $400. Whereas it was $300 to $350 before... Really not sure what to do now. Coz I need a maid for 3 of us. But the price now really not convenient for us. And there is no other way too....If domestic helpers price shoot up like this than how can singapore government expect us to give more birth? More birth means more money with more headache and worries... DO YOU THINK SINGAPORE GOVERNMENT SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE DOMESTIC HELPERS?LIKE THEY ARE HELPING US IN CDA ACCOUNT OR BABY BONUS...AAAHHHH sINGAPORE YOU ARE SO EXPENSIVE!!!

pipilili

There was an article in straits time...probably they shd decrease levy and increase the maid's pay...I think this is better for employer and maid.

MsKoh1973

My maid just resigned, going back to Indon next year, she looks v happy, maybe she got winds of the new pay and policy?

Her contract shd be till Mar 2011.

hpc

Why not NTUC consider maid's training centre in other country like cambodia,Vietnam for better maid supply instate of Indonesia.They think S'porean need indo maid badly that why "tiao chee lye mind".I don't mind maid from these countries as they are better educated,no communication problem,lucky can get 1 speaks chinese or dialect.I would rather pay them a better salary than to indos.

hi mummies,
i have bad experience with indo maids recently.
she ran to embassy just because she don't like my in law at home to supervise her duties looking after my baby.
she even showed her faces and rise her voice to my in law when i'm away for work.
I gotto tell her nicely not to have such attitude toward the elderly but she felt i more like please her to stay.
wondering who taught them run to embassy whenever they don't feel like working despite they have signed two years employment contract.
they simply misuse the MOM guidelines. how can the government help to prevent these maids taking advantage from us!
As my in law health conditions not capable to hold/ carry the baby in day time, i' m running crazy in day time and making use of lunck break to rush home just to shower my baby and settle lunch for my kids in primary school. rush back to office again to continue my routine work. i am lucky enough to have a nice boss who is understand my situation. to be frank that 1 hour lunch break to rush home and back to office is not enough and i mostly back office late by 30 mins which i feel bad.

furthermore, the maid agency fees as well killing us.
i have once interview few transfers maid but was rejected by them due to i am not able to provide them a private room, big family of 8 at home (1 in law, 3 kids and 1 baby), maids rejected the jobs due to unhappiness of works etc..
to get a fresh maid from philipines will cost me approx. SGD 2k for the agents fees + documentation. we still have to settle the maid placement fees approx. 4k.
This is the big issues as at anytime the maid can ask for change of employer whenever they like. we the employers have to pay all the documentations fees for getting the new one. The maid insurance fees as well not refundable and you gotto pay the new set of docs fees for new maid. This is ridiculous.

i manage to source one transfer maid and the maid agency firm again asking for unreasonable fees like transfer maid fees SGD 200 + SGD 200 short placement fees + the normal agent fees.
Under no choice situation, i have to agree as i need one desparately.
Gosh that i have to wait for a week to get the documentation done. Pray hard this transfer maid is the genuice and honesty. if not, i will end up with another bumb again.

my hubby single income if not eought to cover our daily expenses, i have to work to support the financial but we are facing the terrible situation on the helpers.
We're not hoping the cash incentive or whatever grant from the government, as an ordinary family like us we are more concern that how the government can help on setting the roles and regulations on domestic helpers and prevent the unreasonable fees from the maid agency.

sigh:(

Queenbabe

hi mummies,
i have bad experience with indo maids recently.
she ran to embassy just because she don't like my in law at home to supervise her duties looking after my baby.
she even showed her faces and rise her voice to my in law when i'm away for work.
I gotto tell her nicely not to have such attitude toward the elderly but she felt i more like please her to stay.
wondering who taught them run to embassy whenever they don't feel like working despite they have signed two years employment contract.
they simply misuse the MOM guidelines. how can the government help to prevent these maids taking advantage from us!
As my in law health conditions not capable to hold/ carry the baby in day time, i' m running crazy in day time and making use of lunck break to rush home just to shower my baby and settle lunch for my kids in primary school. rush back to office again to continue my routine work. i am lucky enough to have a nice boss who is understand my situation. to be frank that 1 hour lunch break to rush home and back to office is not enough and i mostly back office late by 30 mins which i feel bad.

furthermore, the maid agency fees as well killing us.
i have once interview few transfers maid but was rejected by them due to i am not able to provide them a private room, big family of 8 at home (1 in law, 3 kids and 1 baby), maids rejected the jobs due to unhappiness of works etc..
to get a fresh maid from philipines will cost me approx. SGD 2k for the agents fees + documentation. we still have to settle the maid placement fees approx. 4k.
This is the big issues as at anytime the maid can ask for change of employer whenever they like. we the employers have to pay all the documentations fees for getting the new one. The maid insurance fees as well not refundable and you gotto pay the new set of docs fees for new maid. This is ridiculous.

i manage to source one transfer maid and the maid agency firm again asking for unreasonable fees like transfer maid fees SGD 200 + SGD 200 short placement fees + the normal agent fees.
Under no choice situation, i have to agree as i need one desparately.
Gosh that i have to wait for a week to get the documentation done. Pray hard this transfer maid is the genuice and honesty. if not, i will end up with another bumb again.

my hubby single income if not eought to cover our daily expenses, i have to work to support the financial but we are facing the terrible situation on the helpers.
We're not hoping the cash incentive or whatever grant from the government, as an ordinary family like us we are more concern that how the government can help on setting the roles and regulations on domestic helpers and prevent the unreasonable fees from the maid agency.

sigh:(
Im having similiar situation as u, maid run away after working abt 2months for me... She is the one wanted to go back yet run away on the day we r sending her back.
Im a sahm with 3 kids now preggy with #4. Thats y hubby get a maid to help me but i feel like they r here to harm me more than helping me :(

raoow

Oh no! Now I'm getting worried. I was planning on getting a maid to help out if I cannot handle the baby and housework. But seems like that will be leaving it too late!!

Even if I'm willing to pay extra for the new maids, they might not be good or trustworthy.

Sgring

All maid same, come here holiday and want alot of money. I am working mum with 3 school going kids. I currently carrying twins. i already survice for 6mths without maid. I

eetoosio

Hi
i totally agreed with that employing maid or helper is not that easy in Singapore . This deeply feel for especially when we are in need of " helpers" so that we can carry on with our work. Agency fees and those miscellaneous expenses, before getting a fresh helper have been much more higher but doesnt guarantee a SURE WIN.... For me, the experience was very bad with my previous helper till now I do have some phobia, especially one that likely endanger your child and refusing to follow instructions. There isnt anything that protect the victimized employer .
Now when i come to think of it, seem like a nightmare to me ..

I have just deport this helper back home and understand that she is trying to come back again.. Before she get into trouble with any of your household... I think i should reveal.
If you are thinking of hiring her, best to have someone at home to watch, remind her, help her do the patching up of stuffs that she did not

Name of Domestic Helper: Liza Mesa Galupo
Passport Number: EB7560913
Work Permit Number: 026556295
Date of Birth : 04 Nov 1988

This helper of mine is okay except that she has the habit not following or doing what she was instructed and fond of making her own decision ( even if she is unfamilar with the stuff) on my household and on my son health and safety.

1) Stubborness:

a) she was having a flu and being brought to the doctor. We reminded her to put on a mask and keep far distance from my 3 year old son who had infection and on the route of recovery. The next day after 1 dose of her medication, she stop putting on the mask .. The reason she gave me, " I think I feel better." I told her that flu usually take afew days to recover , meanwhile please wear a mask and keep a distance away from my son.... A while later, I saw her going up to my son and getting close to him, being friendly to my son... I came forward and reminded her , took my son away... That very night, my son had fever... This incident wasnt enough for her to learn the lesson... Bcos of her lack of discipline in eating, her cough got worst and was brought to doctor again. This time doctor prescribe her stronger medicine and antibiotics. The doctor even mention that if upon finishing the antibiotics still not recover, have to do a chest xray.. Yes her cough rather contagious so i reminded her to put on a mask especially when my son is around bcos i know she is very forgetful so i just want her to focus "my son .... "... This time she watch her diet ... and the cough improves but still there ....
Then on one of the night, Liza got up to change my son diaper since it soiled. I went in and saw her not putting on mask... I remind her in a soft tone ( dunt wish to wake my son up) and with hand gestures about putting on the mask. She nodded... I went in the room, since past 2 days there been a little improvement about remembering to wear mask. 10 mins , through the CCTV, Liza carried my son closely without the mask... There is a walkie in my son room, Liza could have page for me or call... she didnt... The next morning, my son start having fever .... This time Liza learnt and put on mask.

b) i understand that there is culture difference so i also prepare notes for her so as help . I have also pasted memo and reminders on the wall in the room .... to remind her... Most importantly, i told her to ask me and follow the instructions so to minimise her mistakes... " ASK and FOLLOW" since she is new to the household ... She refused to heed and insist doing her way, even though she create lots of mess for my husband and I to do the amendment or patching up.

(I) she put the sponge used for Air-Pot cleaning ( my son and our drinking water) together with the scrub/Sponge used for scrubbing the floor ( dirty) in a small plastic bag. I was mad bcos she could have ask but she choose not to .and do her way. When asked her, the reply she gave was, " it a small matter..." I wonder how many of you all would put the sponge used for cleaning toilet floor and sponge use for washing your cups, packed in a bag. As you all do know, sometimes we do use bleach solution to scrub our dirty floor , toilet floor but do we use bleach for our cups ..... and imagine of the dirty that sponge accumulate from scrubbing the floor.... whew...!And it is unhygienic ...

(ii) i mention to her that my son is allergic to dust therefore need her to clean my son room well .... Then one morning thru CCTV, caught her skipping certain areas to clean for my son room. I asked her and her reply, " I m not a CLEAN type of person" It is true, her aspects of basic hygiene in terms of cleaning the bottles are poor but there is always room for improvement right?

(iii) my helper duty is to take care of my son, do household cleaning and simple cooking. She is needed to wake up early in morning to prepare my son for school, before the bus fetch my son. During the first few time in the morning when my son have school, she overslept... We reminded her and at the same time got her a new alarm clock. Then 2 days later, she overslept again. Reason she gave was , she did not reset the alarm clock as "on".. So this time, we try to make sure the alarm was set on before she go to bed... A few days later, she overslept again... At first, i thought the alarm clock was spoilt so I asked her , she said " No, it wasnt" Then I ask her, did she forget to set alarm clock as " on".. She said she did... Did she know it a week day cos my son goes to school Mon - Fri? Then she revealed that the alarm clock did ring at the correct tming, she woke up and off the alarm, return back to sleep... There was no sign of sincerity and to her, it seem okay to do it that manner...

(Iv) it was instructed to leave the nightlight on always since she sharing room with my son and also bcos at times, we need to come in to prepare milk for our son... One of the night, my son and i want in to the bedroom, it was pitch dark... Saw Liza covering herself with cover getting ready to sleep.. I asked her, " Liza, how come so dark?" She just pretend and act blur but the night light wasnt switch on.

For this period of time, agency helped us alot , give us suggestion and even got her trainer to talk to her , counsel her and letting her understand that there is a need to follow and all that.. Agency has been helpful but sometimes it is the individual ...Everytime we tell her the seriousness of her mistake, she tell us she wants to go back agency .... and send her back home...

My husband still come up with an idea about giving her monetary reward so that she would be commited and minimise making of the common mistakes... We also told her that the key to minimise mistakes, " ask .... and do not do on your own" and " follow it after you got the answers"...

(very) since day 1 , i have also tell her about not allowing sharp edge objects or toys in my son bed and my printed notes have had it indicated clearly too ... I explained to her that it is to minimize unfortunate accident from happening especially when my son (3 year old) asleep or taking a nap, bcos they will toss right? She ignored it and let my son have the sharp edge toy when she is aware of my decision because I have told her even gave a notes reminding her. I have already said " No" afew days ago, when my son try asking...and she was present at that time. She got unhappy about it.

(vi) i mentioned to her that certain toys need to get my permission before allowing my son to play bcos sometimes there are some caution message.. Since she is a forgetful and not observant person, so it always safe to get her to seek for my agreement so to minimise unfortunate accident.
While I was away to buy some groceries, she let my son play Playdoh without asking me and she left my son alone playing with the playdoh while she goes to the kitchen. Means my son is not at her purview ... Can you imagine how dangerous it would b if my son put them in his mouth or after playing and hands are not properly wash, the bits of playdoh still left within my son fingernails...? My previous helper would keep away the playdoh, if she knows she need to leave my son alone and do something else... Why didnt she ask me ...? I understand she is new and all that, we told her and even remind her many times but why ? Especially when she is new, she may not be aware if my son have any form of allergy towards anything anot?? She simply refused to...

(Viii) my son was sick this time and doctor prescribed medicine ... I let Liza watch me feed my son, until i get her feel comfortable, teach her and let her do it while i watching ... We have a list if medicine is needed to feed my son... She actually forgot to feed my son medicine ... Those medicine are instructed by the doctor to feed constantly. The day before, i do demonstration and even let her feed my son the medicine... I even had it written on a notice about the medicine that need to feed, just in case she forget ....

These are the things that she do... I must admit that I m desperate for a helper which is why we have been enduring and trying ways to motivate her .... until too many occasion , my son safety has been endanger ... We really have no choice but to deport her back. There is more stuff but it b endless if we list them all out... She is good in making stories too ... I have attach her photo as well... she looks sweet and friendly ....

Anyway, apart from all this, she is still quite okay... If anyone wants to hire her , best to have someone around at home .....to remind and tell her on the spot so as to avoid any unpleasant from occuring

eetoosio

Wanted to upload my previous helper photo so as to caution others and not experience the same as what we just gone through, it was like hell but and again if members request for the photo , i would email to you if you wish to ....
Meanwhile, just let it be a general sharing session

Last edited:

Fen84

My maid recently ran away too due to home sick.. luckily she went back to agency.. outstanding loan from her is $1K plus.. and yea we got to fork out extra money ard $2K [plus for new maid under new contract and still gonna wait for 1 mth plus for maid arrival.. tough!

Janvier

yaps..my maid wanted to go back due to family problems. As a mother, had to understand from her point if her children is experiencing problems back home...so we decided to let her go. Went last week to look at bio-datas, and realized maids' pay has really gone up alot. Philippines ones ranges from $500-$550 (fresh and experience ones) with 1 off day...goodness. I heard from colleagues, some maids asked for $600 or even $800. Seriously..~ :(

ya....this is the current market rate! their pay rise due to the week off day implemented by the authority. The employer has to pay extra a day salary per week, this equivalent to about 20% of their pay increased wef Jan 2013. THIS IS CRAZY....
Those maids under old contract is now taking advantage to run away or request to change employer...because under the current rules. they will get the new salary package once their work permit is revalid with new employer. Recent news on S'porean pay rise only 4-5% with high standard of living here....every mth whatever go in to our bank accounts, nothing left at the end of the month after paying all the costs here and there...but the maids is getting everything FOC from the employer with tax free and full protection from the authority......WE ARE THE ONE SUFFER THE MOST AND LIFE REALLY TOUGH FOR MIDDLE INCOME FAMILIES!!!

mycano

I am currently paying $480 with 4 sunday off, if I compensate, I would have to pay $550 for a 40 yrs old indon without any experience and is always trying to see where she can hide to skive. MOM is really causing us alot of heartache and pain with these new rulings. maid can change employer anytime without counting the numbers of times while employer after 5 times is required to pay $30 to resit for the orientation program. Haiz....

Janvier

totally agree~I saw on news that MOM is setting up hotlines for them to call in if they have any problems too..~ :\ and I actually went maid searching 1 month in advance~and still unable to find a suitable one because a lot of them doesn't want to look after children.. -_-''' some they prefer babies than toddlers -_-~

Janvier

ya....this is the current market rate! their pay rise due to the week off day implemented by the authority. The employer has to pay extra a day salary per week, this equivalent to about 20% of their pay increased wef Jan 2013. THIS IS CRAZY....
Those maids under old contract is now taking advantage to run away or request to change employer...because under the current rules. they will get the new salary package once their work permit is revalid with new employer. Recent news on S'porean pay rise only 4-5% with high standard of living here....every mth whatever go in to our bank accounts, nothing left at the end of the month after paying all the costs here and there...but the maids is getting everything FOC from the employer with tax free and full protection from the authority......WE ARE THE ONE SUFFER THE MOST AND LIFE REALLY TOUGH FOR MIDDLE INCOME FAMILIES!!!
*sigh* I told my hubby, if $600 or $800...i rather work PT and take care of the kiddos myself le -_-" save e levy, save e extra live-in expenses~