Employing maid

Frenchkitty

Can anyone share with me that daily maid routine? I am hiring one soon but am not sure if i missed out anything. I think she will finish what i ask her to do within half a day? Then rest of hw day just sit ard the house?
Hi Rukia, depends on what you think should be her priority? To do housework or to look after your kids/baby?
For me, our children should be priority then followed by housework so naturally I dont expect her to be polishing mirrors & sinks everyday.

You can split chores into Daily / Weekly/ Monthly schedules.
for eg. Daily: sweep & mop floors (have baby & young children need cleaner floors), handwash baby clothes daily, cooking & cleaning dishes, wash & sterilise bottles, bathe baby & all those baby-related stuff?

Weekly: Change & wash towels & floor mats, wash toilets, clean kitchen sinks and stove, vacuum floor, clean toys & play mats.

Bi-monthly / Monthly: change bedsheets (usually bi-monthly), polish mirrors, clean ceiling fans & lights.

Right now that's all I can think of. But actually day-to-day the time passes very fast because with kids there is just so much to be done. I doubt she will have time to sit around.

Rukia

I realized alot of maids are expected to hand wash the clothes instead of using the washing machine. Is there a reason why?

Eliza

I realized alot of maids are expected to hand wash the clothes instead of using the washing machine. Is there a reason why?
For me, hand washing baby clothes and delicates are to prevent them from stretching and the rubber part from delicates to expand too much (tried and tested when we first moved). Other then that, the rest will be washing machine. Almost all the maids knows too. Except those who came from kampong, they will want to hand wash everything coz they do not know how to use washing machine, just teach them.

Frenchkitty

Hi can I check - I'm hiring a transfer maid. So I went to the agency and submitted all necessary salary information & documents. May I know how long it takes for the application for FDW Work Permit etc to be approved by MOM?? Cos i need to plan my leave.
Thanks!

mycano

You can do the application on line using your singpass. If you are a 1st time employer, you need to take an orientation exam first but if you had a maid before, it usually take less than 2 days to be approve unless there is some complication. an appeal will take 2 weeks.

Frenchkitty

Thanks Mycano.. Im a first time employer. I already submitted all the relevant documents through my agency.
But it's been 2 weeks now and no news/updates from MOM whether my application is approved.
So just wanna know usually how long it takes to receive news on my WP application.

mycano

Is it a new maid or a transfer maid? call your agency to ask, many agency after taking our money then sit on our documents. I had agency took almost 6 weeks before they submit my application necos their wp on line was suspensed. if i had known, i could easily submitted myself the application myself.

Go call the agency to find out or call MOM 64385122, give them your NRIC No and they can check if there is a application already done or not.

Good luck

Joansp

My indo maid has been working for me for the past 14months. Her main duty is to take care of household & cook, as i have 3 kids, she will also help to look after beside my mother in law is helping around. I find that she has been a good help especailly the household matter as my house tend to be more things to do coz we have 3 kids (10yrs, 5yrs & 1 1/2yrs old) & 3 adult (myself , hubby & mum in law). She is able to cope well with it & i really satisfied with her performance. But i will need to terminate her service in the coming month as i am not working anymore, so i would like to see if anyone would like to take over. PM me if anyone is interested.
The maid not available anymore.

mummynista

For moms who are first time employers, have compiled this for easy reference. I just hired a helper recently.

First of all you have to complete the e-learning course onForeign Domestic Worker Employer's Orientation Program. (you may apply and take the course here, will cost you about $30: http://www.sp.edu.sg)

In case you are wondering what that is, it is a compulsory course/certification that first time employers in Singapore have to go through before being allowed to hire a foreign domestic helper. You would need to do this before you can even apply a work permit for your helper.

Anyway below is my version of "Engaging Helpers for Dummies in Singapore":

1. Look for a reliable maid agency. (drop me a note if you want to know mine.)
Once you decided to engage a helper, look for a reliable agency. The easiest way is to ask friends and family who are currently having a helper and are happy with both agency and their domestic help.

2. Know what you want in a helper.
Go down to the maid agency and brief your agent on your requirements for the helper. She will then pass you a couple of resumes that match your criteria. Upon selection, she will arrange for interviews with your shortlisted candidates.

For our case, my husband and I want a helper who is married, aged above 30 and have children. We also want her to have a couple years of working experience and be able to speak english well.

3. Interview prospective helpers.
When interviewing the helpers, list down your priorities and see how each candidate reacts. Be very specific on what is important to you.

For our case, our priorities are a.taking care of newborn baby b.cooking c.domestic chores. We also asked the helpers on their willingness to wake up in the middle of the night to look after the baby in case I can't cope. Some helpers flinched at the thought of waking up at night, some were concerned about the cooking, etc. We are also willing to give our helper a day off weekly.

4. Make your final choice.
Once you interviewed a multiple of helpers, you would have fancy one or two among all the rest. Choose carefully and both parties( helper and yourself) should raise any concerns before proceeding. Let your agent know your choice and she will compile all the paper work that you have to sign or submit.

Now you are wondering, what's the cost of engaging a helper?
Monthly Salary Range: $400 - $600
Helpers without experience usually start at $400-$450 while helpers with experience can range from $500 onwards.
Monthly Levy: $265 (normal), $170 (concession, for e.g: if your child is Singaporean and below 12)
One-time Agency Fee: About $680 ~
Helper's Insurance: $241- $321 (last for 2 years and varies depending on package)

The documents required for processing of application for the helper are :
(x) Photocopy of employer and spouse's I/C
(x) Children's birth cert
(x) Current or previous year Income tax's notice of assessment from IRAS

My Hiring Outcome
So after interviewing both Filipina and Indonesian helpers, we settled on a 37 years old Indonesian helper who has two children of her own and 9 years of working experience. She is able to communicate in English well and confident in cooking Asian/Chinese dishes. She doesn't mind waking up in the middle of the night and is also flexible in her weekly day off (not necessarily Sunday).

mummynista

hi jesamine, the upfront fee will not be applicable if you are hiring a transfer maid.

If you want a brand new maid (directly from their hometown), you have to help the maid to pay her loan to the agency first and deduct that from her salary.

Average Fees for Hiring New Maids
Indonesian:
Bond/Loan- Approx 2.2K (this is the amount your new maid owns you)
Agency Fee- Approx 1.6 k (paid by employer)

Philipinos:
Bond/Loan- Approx 2.8k - 3k (this is the amount your new maid owns you)
Agency Fee- Approx $788 (paid by employer)

I personally would recommend to hire a transfer maid with at least few years of experience, will save you some trouble. My family and some friends engaged brand new maids before, and get really frustrated and stressed most of the time. New maids need more time to pick up the language/cooking/cleaning/etc although they are less demanding and salary is lower than experienced maids.

I rather pay 100 bucks more each month to save me the headaches, especially when both hubby and I are working. :)

mycano

It is really heartache taking a maid in singapore.

I recently took a Mynmar transfer maid whom the agency told me was hardworking, & very good except she could not speak englsih. I decide to give the girl a try.

It was a nightmare. On the 3rd day of employment, I found the maid laying on the floor when I woke up, I ask her what happen, she ignored me and just continued to sleep.

I call the agency and they came quiet fast to take the maid back. I was told the maid still wants to work and I was told to sign a release letter for her to transfer. In total I paid $600 plus and I got a maid who work for me 2 days

I was told to take a brand new maid, I have to top up $2,800 more if not, that is the end of the transcation.

Is this fraud? I paid for a maid who work 2 days and if I want another maid I have to pay another $2800, can the agency gurantee that I have a maid who wants to work? No they cant, end of the day, we are made the suckers by MOM & Agency

Last edited:

chjean

Mycano, your agent is in bkt Timah? If yes then we have the same agent. My Filipina maid is with me for coming 8 months now and we are happy with her for taking care of our baby n household chores. We also paid $$ upfront to settle her loan n she is getting her full salary soon (after going without salary for 7mths). She is also fine waking up many times for my baby's midnight/early morning feeds. My maid joined me 2 months before my delivery.

I guess it is "Heng/Suay" whether u get good or not so good maids.. Mayb u can change that maid n see if the next one is better? Yr Myanmar maid seems to have communication problems, why don't u try one from another country? You can pm me if u wish to chat more..

mummynista

It is really heartache taking a maid in singapore.

I recently took a Mynmar transfer maid from Joy employment whom the agency told me was hardworking, & very good except she could not speak englsih. I decide to give the girl a try.

It was a nightmare. On the 3rd day of employment, I found the maid laying on the floor when I woke up, I ask her what happen, she ignored me and just continued to sleep.

I call the agency and they came quiet fast to take the maid back. I was told the maid still wants to work and I was told to sign a release letter for her to transfer. In total I paid $800 plus and I got a maid who work for me 2 days

I was told to take a brand new maid, I have to top up $2,800 more if not, that is the end of the transcation.

Is this fraud? I paid for a maid who work 2 days and if I want another maid I have to pay another $2800, can the agency gurantee that I have a maid who wants to work? No they cant, end of the day, we are made the suckers by MOM & Agency
I don't think it works that way. You should be entitled to the exchange of your maid for a period of time, although the length of period may vary with different agencies. I think I can change my maid within half a year with no additional cost. Need to double check with my agency. At the same time, you should perhaps approach other agencies and check if you have been taken for a ride.

Meanwhile, you didn't interview the maid personally before taking her in?

mycano

Life with a maid is not a luxury, if you have a horrible maid, Life is really a misery. Our current hoards of maids are all not here to work. why we get all these kind of maids? We have the MOM & the agency for making our PAP Slogan - Pay & Pay. Singapore is indeed a Pay & Pay country.

elainetan10

For moms who are first time employers, have compiled this for easy reference. I just hired a helper recently.

My Hiring Outcome
So after interviewing both Filipina and Indonesian helpers, we settled on a 37 years old Indonesian helper who has two children of her own and 9 years of working experience. She is able to communicate in English well and confident in cooking Asian/Chinese dishes. She doesn't mind waking up in the middle of the night and is also flexible in her weekly day off (not necessarily Sunday).
Hi mummynista, can you recommend me the agency that you finally chose?

Last edited: