Employing maid

ping26

here's MOM's reply dated 28 April to my email dated 17 Feb

a) poor working attitudes
In cases whereby the FDW does not fulfil the contract which she has signed with the employer, the employer may seek legal advice if he/ she wishes to pursue the matter further. Employers may also provide feedback on their FDWs' conduct to the Domestic Permits Section, Work Pass Division, Ministry of Manpower, 18 Havelock Road, Singapore 059764 or send an email to mom_wpd@mom.gov.sg. The Work Pass Division will take into account all FDWs who have such records when considering their future Work Permit applications.

remember
a) not to get maids from agencies which make u pay maid levy indefinitely
b) to get maids from agencies with contract promise full refund of pro-rated maid loans.

mummymaid

MOM's reply, rec'd today.
The person (name) who replies looks like a foreigner. Could be an Indonesian or filipino.

Thank you for your feedback through PA, REACH and Minister of Manpower, Mr. Tharman Shanmugaratnam.

MOM is currently studying the suggestion for the Government to legislate a weekly rest day for FDWs, with compensation in-lieu when the FDW and employer mutually agree that the rest day be foregone.

We will need to consult with all stakeholders, including employers, employment agencies, domestic workers and non-governmental organizations and MOM would like to reassure employers that all views and feedbacks would be considered. Furthermore, should there be any changes, sufficient notice will be provided. We also welcome members of the public to email their views and suggestions to mom_fmmd@mom.gov.sg.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Personally, I feel employers should be given fair protection by law. We can't continue to pay & pay to MOM or agencies and still continue to bear the risk of bad maids or agencies.

pipilili

Wow, you mummies are fast at work. Already emailed to MOM!

I am so tired and lazy these days. I need to get the charges for childcare centre, infant care centre increases during this 2 yrs in order to justify GOVT need to step in regarding the policy on bb care.

As for the maid's issue. I actually emailed the reporter who reported a few agency conspired and increased maid's salary but no reply from that reporter yet. Wonder if those agency paid her to shut up and not follow up???*I wonder wonder*

Suddenly I feel that the society seems so GREY!

Jennifer98

Hey all, i have a recommendation. Few days back because my maid went back to her country for visiting and i have to hire a part time cleaner, and i engage the service with part time helper and her service was great! Took care of most my house chores! :001_302:

carolchng

I feel that nowadays, as an employee at work, i have to tolerate my boss and when i am at hm, as an employer, i have to tolerate my employee's nonsenses also!!!
Despite treating my helper so good and we keep accommodating to her, she ask me if she can work until feb 2012 coz she is applying to go Norway to work but her contract only expire on july 2012.
But this morning, my aunty told me. my helper ask if we want to renew her contract anot. If we want to renew her, pay her salary of $550 monthly then she will stay.
I tell my aunty, if she bring this matter up again, you can tell her if she want to go now also can. Nobody is indispensable in this world.

pipilili

carolchng:

My cousin's maid is something like your maid. She is demanding $550/mth if they are going to renew her contract. She make it sounds like she is very marketable. I told my cousin not to be so stupid....our money oso not easy to earn, I cannot imagine paying my maid $550/mth, and on top of that give her bonus!

Some maids seem to be here on holiday! Can demand this and that! I wish they can think about how to get the job done well, then think about REWARDS.

carolchng

carolchng:

My cousin's maid is something like your maid. She is demanding $550/mth if they are going to renew her contract. She make it sounds like she is very marketable. I told my cousin not to be so stupid....our money oso not easy to earn, I cannot imagine paying my maid $550/mth, and on top of that give her bonus!

Some maids seem to be here on holiday! Can demand this and that! I wish they can think about how to get the job done well, then think about REWARDS.

yup, but she is quite good with my 20mths toddler... She will teach her manners and dote on her also.
Sometimes if my girl is sick, my helper will also wake up in the middle of the night to help us take care of her then i will tell her take a nap in daytime when my girl is taking her afternoon nap also. But she rather do housechores then take a nap.
That's why I'm still keeping her with me, i think she behave like this coz she know alot of other domestic workers at the playground and she heard from them, in norway, salary is quite high and they work 5 days a week and 5 hrs daily only then she want to go work in Norway.
Many times alot of ppl think we employers are ill treating them by don't allowing them to go out or restrict their movements but they don't understand those are the reasons why they have gone astray!!!

mummymaid

I feel that nowadays, as an employee at work, i have to tolerate my boss and when i am at hm, as an employer, i have to tolerate my employee's nonsenses also!!!
Despite treating my helper so good and we keep accommodating to her, she ask me if she can work until feb 2012 coz she is applying to go Norway to work but her contract only expire on july 2012.
But this morning, my aunty told me. my helper ask if we want to renew her contract anot. If we want to renew her, pay her salary of $550 monthly then she will stay.
Wah $550, excluding levy and her living expenses.
But to re-train a maid is really no joke. Some more got to worry she cant perform, give trouble, now new maids are brainwashed to come here for holidaying and enjoy life at the expense of her employer. Not happy just runaway or give you a hard time. Want to fire them still must think thrice cos we sure lose agency upfront loan, insurance and air ticket if insist kick her home.

How? Wonder when MOM will help us.
MOM, you heard our cries or not .... dont be so nasty towards us, we didnt bully our helpers ley :nah:

casey mummy

I gathered more info on this whole maid employment thingee. Actually not all agency's charges start from $450. I think the big ones charges at $450, cos maybe they all agreed with each other since they are the big brothers in this industry.

Some agency has good maids starting at $400. I managed to source one at $400.

Just wish govt step in regarding this whole maid hiring thingee..the price keeps going up. Maid salary also go up, but how come our salary never go up so fast! Bloody hell, with inflation kicking in, I feel I am UNDER PAID!

Hi, which agency did you go to? Yours is a indon or fillipino? fresh or experienced?
so far howz ur experience with the maid and maid agency?

casey mummy

My mum's Indon maid is SGD 380 and she has started working with my mum. So far so good.

My Indon maid is SGD 420, but has not arrived yet. I hope its at least abv avg too.

SGD 450 - 500 for Indon maid is abit too much.

Even a Fillipino maid cost only SGD 400 w/o off day. SGD 380 with off day. My friend who just hired one told me about it when we recently met up.
Hi Worth Lady
Which agency did your friend go to?
Im currently looking out for maids but find them so expensive these days..and if they are not good we still have a lot of other costs to bear when we try to do a replacement =(

skoa

I'm a first-time employer and I hired a Filipino maid through an agency in June. Our maid wanted to take home-leave before starting to work for us. Now that she has gone for almost 4 weeks but the agency still cannot bring her back from the Philippines. The agency told us the maid has to go through training and wait for her visa to come back. Our maid wants to come back asap too but the agency is simply useless and keeps avoiding us (not return phone calls, tell us false information, etc). As I'm a mum-to-be and my EDD is in Sept, how much longer should I wait for this maid?

pipilili

If the maid has arrived in Singapore and returned to her home country, it will be quite fast to bring her back. (cos she is paying for her own air tickets) Unless she doesn't want to come back. (My SIL's maid went back for 1-2 weeks cos her mum passed away)

skoa

The maid just finished her last contract but she hasn't started working for us yet. The agency says she needs to go through POEA training (not sure what that is) and wait for her new visa to come back.

mummymaid

It's now harder for filipino to come back to Spore without proper home leave processing ... pay their embassy and agency (otherwise DIY).

The PHL customs can stop maid from coming back if she doesn't have POEA.
Worse is she finished contract, returned PHL without a work permit. It is hard to pretend as tourist and come in without POEA.

Last edited:

Angelmum

MOM should also consider adding a clause for the well-being of employer ....
by law:
1) maid must shower daily and wash her own clothes. Keep herself clean, hygienic and looked pleasant - dont torture the employer and family.

Recently somebody asked me how to handle her fresh maid who doesn't bathe nor wash her clothes for 3 days. Friend asked me, is this a way of trying to make employer unhappy so that maid can leave the house at the expense of the employer? Is this a way to 'escape' looking after the children or household duties as people dont dare to stand near her? We were told maids have their human rights, they are not slaves, must respect them .... :elvis: Worst, stole employer's deodorant and perfume to make herself smell good. When caught, said employer ought to provide her with such necessity ??!!?? :err:

2) Fresh Maids cannot keep comparing salary and ignore the salary and tasks agreed via agency. Everything outlined, interviewed and role explained before employment must be carried out as per contract. If want to break contract to jerk up salary or blackmail for more off days, they must pay employer 2 months salary as punishment for being irresponsible and causing unnecessary inconvenience to the poor employer. Maid job hop, agency earn 1 to 2 months new placement fee. What about us? We only stand to lose. Real example, after working 2 days, Myanmar maid found Indonesian got higher pay, she said to employer, no pay increment, send me back to agency. :elvis: Worry encounter such bad and irresponsible maids :embarrassed: ... they are so common nowadays. Who's taking care of our well-being/welfare? Do I really had to stay home again if one day, I can't find a real helper? How to work with peace of mind if MOM doesnt help employers who were not at fault, especially those who hired maid due to special needs family members?

Wonder the recent survey of 450 satisfied employers came from where. Are they new employers (2009-2011) or those who were blessed to hire maid in the 'olden days' (2000 or earlier) .... who really come to SIN to work for a living, not to enjoy life with lots of off days or time to eat snake.

Last edited:

pipilili

I think the survey 'kelong'. I am not even sure if they really look for ppl with maids before doing the survey.

Imagine if I am the one trying to earn part time $, would I be so hard working to do the survey?? I probably will fake a few data here and there. The stats is definitely not correct!!

I think under HEALTHCARE CHECK, DENTAL HEALTHCARE SHOULD BE INCLUDED. My maid has bad breath despite me asking her to drink 8 glasses of water.

I am going to bring her to dentist!!! She is taking care of my baby!!!!!

mummymaid

I think the survey 'kelong'. I am not even sure if they really look for ppl with maids before doing the survey. !

Maids are a real headache to working mums. Cant make them help us wholeheartedly, still got to be nice to them and provide A-Z as they are employed under our name. Wish maid medical insurance includes dental.

hi all

When hiring maid, what country would be better?
Indo or Philipphine?
The comments I gathered were, Myanmar maids are the worst of all nationalities. If you must hire them, make sure you interview them face-to-face and see their real faces. Communication-lauguage is really a headache .... imagine paying $400-420 and found no chores carried out as per your instructions, dont you feel short-changed?

I won't say other nationalities are good, everybody is different but getting a real helper is a problem in Spore, especially for those who are not tai-tai, got to leave our precious ones with lousy maids yet must think thrice before getting rid of them. Where to find so many leave to stay home when maid away?

Today spoke to my agt about salary for new maids, she said now $420.

She asked me why give in to experience maid asking for $500 and off day? I replied, since they get off days, they are very updated what's the market pay, cant hide from them.

Let's say I hired a filipino at $380, worked less then one year but threatened to leave if no pay increment, wont you give in? Knowing we are at disadvantage, get new maid also pay $420 so bobian, just increase loh.

My neighbour has a 10yr maid, earning only $400/mth, ... such maids are rare. They treasured the good relationship and not money-face. Modern maids are mostly lousy, not worth paying. But there's nobody to complain to, nobody to help us so what can we do, just pay and pay loh. Unless all employers stand up and fight for our rights, if not, the market rate of maids will keep going up as there's a strong demand, everybody paying, no decrease of maids in MOM data. Nobody wants to care for us!! Govt and MOM treat us worst than maids! Look at all the benefits and unreasonable law put in place to safeguard maids.

In Jan, the pay of Indo was rocketed to $450, now adjusted to $420, same as filipino. Myanmar, some agt still can get at $400 but looking at the communication issue, wont you feel less stress to pay another $20 for Indo or Philippine?