Employing maid

yukimaxx

I recommend my maid agency. PM me for details... Its my mum friend so I dont know if she is ok to let me post like that or not.

As for my maid, she got help me take care of my baby even at night, i'll take turns with her, like 1,3,5 me. then 2,4,6 her. depends also... then noon time i see i ask her go rest too if like the nite before she took care of the baby... or sum times i tell her to get up lata...
may i have the details of ur maid agency pls? i have PM you for details. thanks a lot!

stonston

Mummies, my maid is going back to her hometown for home leave end Nov this year. I have a few friends who requested for her to help them find suitable maids to come to SG cos they want to save on the agent fees.

No promises, but if you are keen, you can come to my place to chat with my maid & see if she can help to ask around. My current maid is very good. She's mature & knows what is expected. She also tells me when my cousin's maids complain to her or they 'misbehave'. I'm quite sure she'll only recommend those whom she know are responsible. She has alot of friends in her kampong who previously worked in Arab, Msia, etc and some are willing to come to SG if they can find a good employer (over here we hear horror stories abt maids, over there they hear horror stories abt employers).

SunShine07

Mummies, my maid is going back to her hometown for home leave end Nov this year. I have a few friends who requested for her to help them find suitable maids to come to SG cos they want to save on the agent fees.

No promises, but if you are keen, you can come to my place to chat with my maid & see if she can help to ask around. My current maid is very good. She's mature & knows what is expected. She also tells me when my cousin's maids complain to her or they 'misbehave'. I'm quite sure she'll only recommend those whom she know are responsible. She has alot of friends in her kampong who previously worked in Arab, Msia, etc and some are willing to come to SG if they can find a good employer (over here we hear horror stories about maids, over there they hear horror stories about employers).
Hi stonston, your maid from where? My sis wanted to change her maid cos she found out that she sleep with other man outside in a hotel and dun have a good heart....she is filipino, she don mind indo also. But is the process easy? like document or paper work, permit and etc.

mrsmorgan

hi ladies, my sis-in-law is also frantically looking for a maid right now as her previous one had attitude probs so she had to send that maid hm.. she's now looking for a transfer maid as she doesnt want to pay another $1000 over to an agency again only to end up with an unreliable maid again! so if u do know of any transfer maids, pls let me know..

anyway, my sis-in-law has a 3mth-old baby. there's just both of them and her husband staying in a private apartment.

thks a lot!! =)

Casse

hi all i am working in an maid agency
we do have new and transfer maids at the moment
so if anyone of you are interested can pm me
will give u the links =)

Casse
have a nice day

ping26

hi mummies

I was a first-time employer in March. I decided to send the maid (who was a transfer who came with glowing recommendation) packing during confinement. I had to wait almost 1 month for a replacement.

If you are nice & polite, NEVER get a transfer maid as
a) it is very difficult to assert yrself.
b) many transfer maids are problematic.
c) transfer maids want to do things their way.

A first-time employer will find it hard to deal with transfer maids.

Getting a good transfer maid is not easy. Ask for the work permit no & check employment history at MOM website. Passport numbers change every 3-5 yrs. NEVER believe the agent's story for transfer. He or she gets 1-2mth of salary as commission for each transfer. Speak to former employer. Judge for yrself.

I spoke to my former Indo maid's ex-employer who gave good feedback. Here is a short list of mis-doings:
- She cooked her own meals, never ate Chinese food. (I allowed her to cook some meals on a few occasions at first, NOT daily)
- she stole stuff from me & other maids at the training ctr
(found many things when I packed her luggage)
- she napped freq during the day
- she talked & text msg thro night (found out on day I sent her back)
- left my 2 month-old baby alone along corridor in shopping ctr while she went to handicapped toilet to tidy her hair for a good 3 min. (I had gone to toilet)

I wanted to send maid back as I thought she was unemployable. The agent refused to let me do so even though she had no loan. The agents played good & bad roles to confuse me. She is now w a hapless employer w illness.

It'll take about 2-3 wks to bring in a maid from Indo. Most agents will tell you 10 days to clinch deal.

Some young Indo maids lie about having a child as it makes them more employable. They have ZERO exp with babies. Choose those w at least 2 kids. Bio-datas about Indo employment can also be faked.

I definitely do not recommend transfer maids from swift arrow (yishun). My sis 1st maid was a psycho who drew & showed naked pic to my niece. She has since been passed on to another employer as she has a maid loan. My transfer maid was also fr there. My sis 2nd transfer Filipino maid w attitude problem, left once she realised she could job-hop w/o repercussions. (I leave my baby & maid w my mom at sis place)

= ALWAYS check employment history at MOM website.

BTW my new Indo helper has been great so far.

Last edited:

isabelandrew

hi mummies, can share with me your maids?

do u allow them to eat anything in ur house without permission? do they eat ALOT?? whole box or whole tin?

they sleep for how long?

joeichen

do you allow them to eat anything in your house without permission? do they eat ALOT?? whole box or whole tin?

they sleep for how long?
Hi, I have been having pro with maids for the past 2 years.
1st maid - I believe she took foods and sell to others during daytime coz she is left with my elder boy alone. (we r all at work)
2nd maid - She was very gd at 1st but after abt 2 mths she start all her nonsense. (e.g pull my boy collar, dreaming, no mood to work etc)
3rd maid - when we talk to her she nod but seem like understd. the thing she do is like not done. she give my boy porridge which was not fully cooked. she shower mt boy with cold water.
4th maid - this 1 is the most angry 1. she is recomended by a "fren". I wanted to save $$ for her so i bring her in w/o agent. I send her to the course myself and even let her stay with her sister (who was my "fren"'s maid) for 1 nite. She came less than 2 weeks she say she miss home n wan to go back. "Hw stupid of me!!!!!! waste $$ to bring her in for 'holiday'"

Nw I have a gd 1 and hope she stay gd....

stonston

do you allow them to eat anything in your house without permission? do they eat ALOT?? whole box or whole tin?

they sleep for how long?
I allow her to eat anything in my house. Most foods go forgotten & expired anyway. But she only eats items that she know she can eat. For example, she only helps herself to biscuits which we buy in big tin for her (snack/breakfast). Sometimes I'll buy small packets of different variety & dump into the big tin.

She does not drink coffee, only tea. So we buy tea for her (we seldom drink tea at home).

For lunch/dinner, she eats whatever we cook (we try to make sure got at least 1-2 meat dishes and 1 vege dish that she can eat i.e. no pork). If she's alone at home, she prefers to cook maggi noodles. We allow her to use any ingredient to add to her noodles. She usually add sausage, egg and some vege.

Fruits wise she gets to eat whatever we eat. At the beginning she was quite shy, dare not eat until my mum bring it to her & make her eat. Then we told her, everytime she cut fruits for us, keep some for herself to eat. Main purpose is we want her to have healthy meals also. Else she fall sick is worse for all of us! Anyway fruits not exp & she eat so little only :)

Me & my parents do not have any 'rules' about food. My maid automatically knows what she can help herself to & what she can't. Agency briefed them & is very strict about this. She's doing physical work everyday, I do expect us (employers) to treat her well & give her good nutrition. She's not my slave, she's my helper & she deserves what the family is having.

My maid is allowed to sleep when my boy sleeps, including nap. But she usually sleep around 10+, morning she wakes up at 6am with me cos she needs to prepare my things for work. Afternoon she does not nap but sometimes when she's tired, I ask her to nap, she'll just lie down beside my boy to rest. Nvr seen her nap before, even when she was sick.

isabelandrew

stonston; ur maid sounds great!

i hv many issues w current maid, so i wonder if this is my prob. she is w me for almost 6 mths.

at 1st, very gd. now pattern coming out.

my bb needs to b carried to sleep so my maid cannot do housework in the day. my mil is w her but cannot carry my bb due to medical issues. she does the cooking for us.

d maid basically need to care for my bb, meals are cooked for her. after bb sleep, she does housework like wash toilet, sweep/mop 3 bedrooms, was bb clothes. for our clothes, we ask her to wash twice a wk only. i set her to finish housework before 11 so that she can sleep longer. i dunno what time she wakes up, seemed to be 5am but most times, late like 530am.

when i reach home in the evening, i will chk what housework to be done, how long it will take. if too long, i will ask her not to do so that before 11pm, lights out and go to bed. once im home, i take care of my bb.

recently, she cannot finish dinner. my plain rice all wasted. said very full. i bought her bread (she share the same loaf as us), coffee (which i ask her if she can take. only tea she cannot) my MIL cooks lunch for her.

when carrying bb, i caught her dozing off w my bb in her arms.she can come and tell me lunch eat too full, so sleepy.

for the food, i told her im okay. she just need to ask my permission if she wants to try our funny food. some of those, my MIL special brought from her house one.

i recently bought her a bottle of jam (let her go choose herself at the supermarket). very big appettite, finish within 1 week.

recently i noticed the bread like nobody eat. some food stuff which we kept specially for ourselves (not exactly keep but we KIV in the cupboard to eat next time) were all wiped out.

ask her, she nvr admit. this morning, i caught her red handed scooping lots of milo. in the morning as i woke up really early and quiet. 1st nvr admit, after that, admit. she knew i damned pissed off. cry a little and kept saying sorry.

this is the 3rd time i caught her within 2 mths.

actually food is nothing, cheap. but the act of 'lying' and mis placing my trust is something got me really upset. i also find one shopping bag she kept in her cupboard, inside her clothes. not sure why she needs it though.

her 1st time to singapore, she super curious about outside world when i bring her out.

2day i called the agency to complain to change, agent can tell me it is only milo what..

is it my problem?

ping26

stonston; your maid sounds great!

when carrying baby, i caught her dozing off w my baby in her arms.she can come and tell me lunch eat too full, so sleepy.

her 1st time to singapore, she super curious about outside world when i bring her out.

2day i called the agency to complain to change, agent can tell me it is only milo what..

is it my problem?
I think to change a maid, you need to tell the agent that yr maid sometimes dozes off while carrying baby. Or she is picky abt food & wastes food. She is starting to steal food.

I would suggest you shld change maid as long as you find that she is uninterested in her work, esp if you have young children. Cleanliness, hygiene and safety are paramount. Their behv usu get worse.

Each hsehold has different budgets & values.

I don't like to be a slave-driver as I like a pleasant home & my baby to be taken care of by a warm & responsible helper.

We sometimes eat expensive stuff. Maid can't be drinking italian coffees, fruit juice & eating my cod fish & salmon daily.

Throwing away decent food is a no-no. She is a helper, not my kid. She shldn't be too picky, else she shld work in Muslim homes or stay at home. I take special care that she has "weekly" comfort indo food (such as tempeh & spicy meal) & steady supply of sambal & other snacks & beverages. Cooking personal stuff is supposed to be wkly treat, not daily thing.

I will never agree to naps anymore. I allowed it when I was pregnant. Housework & taking care of a baby isn't that tough, esp if you have scheduled reasonable sleeping hrs & tea/snack/rest time. Most stay-at-home mums don't take daily naps.

My prev maid was plain terrible. She fully exploited the napping & slept almost 2 hrs in day sometimes. She "slept" at 9-10pm & woke up at 7.30am! In the day, she looked super-concussed as she had used the phone thro night. She was too tired & distracted to look after my baby & do hsework properly. After she left, I found assam, turmeric pwd & other stuff which I DIDN'T BUY. She had no off-day yet as she hasn't completed our stipulated probation of 1 yr.

She just got worse & worse. I had to grit my teeth & bear w her for almost a mth cos my hubby was afraid she may hurt our baby if I corrected her.

Sidenote - pls send any errant maid back to their cty
(stealing, endangerment/reckless behv or mental cases only)

By now, my ex-maid is a petty thief (esp food & clothes) & serial liar. I regret not insisting on sending her back & passing on the burden to another Singaporean.

for those who feel the pinch,
Maid levy is paid via Giro for abt 3 wks ($170) which costs more than a budget air-ticket ($100-120).

Just don't get a transfer maid w bad employment history. Else, u have to waste ins & other costs & air-ticket even if she works a few mths for u.

isabelandrew

Last 9, I talked to her. She said if steal, mdm and sir will not get angry. If I ask permission, mdm and sir will get angry. My hubby really pissed off and asked her when you never ask, you think we will not get angry? She said 'yes' and my hubby said, is it because we don't no? she said yes.

she somemore can tell me coffee she cannot sleep. I told her when I tried to wake her up, she sleep like a pig. She think very long.

I don't know if they are plain stupid or what.

My hubby's conclusion is she has a character issue. You know, when she came, I bought her new clothes to wear at home. She brought lots of jeans to Singapore. God knows why. I think she is not poor, comes with a decent Polo luggage.

Well, again. Food is not a pity thing for me. For birthday, I bought her cake and call home.

Last night I asked her - since she like to eat special food so much. She can buy with her salary what. She don't want! Want to send home - all the money.

I don't understand when I employ a maid - I have to do everything myself? I'm so tired everyday. This fellow don't cook and has no experience to take care of baby. Some more so picky.

She is a christian also. I asked her what did the bible say about stealing? she can tell me it is a sin.

Sigh. Suddenly it seemed that 'we torture' her with no food or limit food. When she can throw away my bread, claiming it was spoilt. Cannot finish rice....

Are maids with young children at home better? What are their expectations? My this maid is very young with no kids and not married...

stonston

That's why I always choose those either married with kids or have experience looking after kids at previous employer. Based on my family's experience (I had maids all my life), Indonesian, married, previously work in Msia for big household (preferably indian or caucasian) is the best. Level of hygiene is high, plus over there, they make the maids do alot of work & usually control their food. Plus the house is so huge, very hard to clean. When my maid saw my small flat, she was so happy! Cos it's easy for her to maintain :) The way she look after my boy is so different. She knows what to say & what not to say. She knows how to handle his tantrums. She knows how to look after him when he's sick. And her methods are not those 'kampung' methods. It's modern methods she learnt at her previous employer's place. That's why when my boy is sick, I can trust my maid to look after while I go to work. Even medication & all, she can handle very well. My maid told me that there are alot of 'abuse' cases in Msia tt go unreported & those who worked there before will know. So she's very grateful when we buy things for her, allow her to eat our food without restriction, etc etc. Most recent I remember is I bought a jacket for her son. She's going on home leave end Nov, & her kampung can get quite cold plus her son is going to private school next yr, need to sit her brother's motorcycle to school. So I bought her son a jacket (those windbreaker type) that's suitable for taking motorcycle & she was so happy! Then she said she wanted to buy some things to bring home also, me & hb bring her everywhere over the long weekend to find the things she want (must be cheap mah). It's just something very simple for us & she was so happy!

For your maid, it's definitely a character issue. To me & hb, once you steal, we'll send her back & write to MOE to blacklist. Best if you got evidence (CCTV) and show her & the agent. No choice hv to pay for their air tix but u can buy those budget airlines, super cheap type. I normally do not inform them. I just buy the tix, inform the agent. Then on the day that need to go airport, I just ask her to pack 1hr before that, sit there & watch her pack then off we go to the airport.

My agent's very good. If we got such problems, they'll ask us to bring e maid back to them & they'll give the maid a wake up call. They also call to check on the maid to make sure they are coping well.
& she also advise us on how to send the maid back without warning. She even said that we can send the maid to her office on the day she needs to go back, pretending to wait for transfer. Then we go home & pack her things (cos tt maid stole from us, so we wanna check the items also). Then we bring her luggage, pick her up from agent & head to airport. Agent also provides service to send the maid to airport but got transport charges ($30 i think).

You should tell your agent she has been stealing food.
For my previous maid, my hb told her tt she's a grown woman with kids waiting back home for her to send money back. By stealing, she's setting a bad example for her kids & worse if police is called & she needs to go to jail.

isabelandrew

my this agent can tell me food only what? why make a big fuss?
but to me, what if she steal other things if we still forgive her?

isabelandrew

my MIL still can tell my hubby and me to forget the incident. it is just food mah.
she dun understand it is the ACT we are upset about.
esp she is here to take care of our precious bb.

SunShine07

my mother in law still can tell my hubby and me to forget the incident. it is just food mah.
she dont understand it is the ACT we are upset about.
esp she is here to take care of our precious baby.
why not give her the last and only chance to see if she is willing to change. Some of them maybe no idea what should do and shouldn't. Like my maid. e.g. She is not supposed to sit on the sofa, not supposed to change cloth in my room....not supposed to do certain things and i told her, she change all. So maybe u can let her know what she is not supposed to do then monitor her again.

isabelandrew

THANKS, Liang Jia.
She has been scolded by me and my hubby for 3 times.

I guess it is because she is not suitable to my requirement. To take care of baby and do what I want...

SunShine07

THANKS, Liang Jia.
She has been scolded by me and my hubby for 3 times.

I guess it is because she is not suitable to my requirement. To take care of baby and do what I want...
hmmm, then i guess it is better to change maid. Of cos those with experience with taking care of bb better or those who married with kids. They will be more mature.

I believe in what stonston had suggested. Get those who worked in rich family in other countries also. As for me though my maid is not ex sg, but ever worked in her hometown for 8 yrs serving those "General' with bb and rich ppl family. So not so bad. Acutally sometimes it is really depend on luck also.

My sis, got a ex sg maid. Worked for 3 yrs in sg already. Very jia lat! The agent claim that she is very good, even check with the previous employer also say she is very good. But my sis found out a lot of things from her recently.

My sis thinks she sleeps with other man outside. Seen the photos taken in a hotel b4. ANd she is very good actor,in front of us she act very innocent and we all tot that she loves kids a lot, but is totally opposite. She lie many times to my sis (when my sis spot check on her, callled and tested her, she lie) and many more. LIke to gossip aboutmy maid also. Keep trying to tell us that she is better than my maid. :nah:

Nowsday, maid are also very smart, not last time ~

isabelandrew

thanks, all.

once trust is breached, i cant act normally. i will look out for a new one.

btw, sending her back is cheaper? what i need to pay if she is waiting for tfr? sending her back very cruel leh, i soft heart. and what i lose out if i send her back directly? just air tix?

btw can share w me a simple routine of ur maid w ur bb? i want to see any difference fm mine or not...

tnx

stonston

If you send her home, you'll need to pay:
- Her air tix (1 way)
- Agency fee for new maid (unless yours got free replacement)
- Insurance for new maid (medical & bond as they are non-transferrable)

If you want to be mean, you can gather evidence, then bring her to embassy to settle. Embassy will send her back on your behalf. FOC.