Employing maid

Aizan

Hope your latest maid will be much better.

Sigh, I wonder how the govt can tweak the current policies so that the situation can be improved.
The agencies make the employers pay for the maid's loan once the maid is confirmed.
I think there should be shared responsibility such that both the employers & the agencies pay 50% of the loan,
or the employer pays the loan in staggered amts so that we are not held at the mercy of the agencies.
100% agree w u!! We r so nice to those helper n yet they took advantage of our kindness.. Hope this 4th ones is reliable cos we choose a new one.. Others is like transferred maid.. Even we gave them chance they jus don't appreciate it!!

hpc

Ya why can't govt sat a new ruling that if the problem lies on the maid then maid must bare the cost of insurance bought for them n daily expense paid to agent during the stay.Maids suka suka want to go back agent cos they don't lose anything right?We employers pay and pay...................

Aizan

Ya why can't govt sat a new ruling that if the problem lies on the maid then maid must bare the cost of insurance bought for them n daily expense paid to agent during the stay.Maids suka suka want to go back agent cos they don't lose anything right?We employers pay and pay...................
Yes true and it's not cheap...when int can take care of children after a few mths decided to take
Of elderly cos taking care children very tired!! Wah liao!! Happy2 can choose who they want to work for.. Nowadays maid very demanding.. I'm so pissed off..

hpc

Many maids choose to work for expat cos very relaxing,can go jalang jalang orchard rd,when employer come back they are free to do anything.Now not employers choose maids but maid choose employer.WE employer is placing a bomb at home,anything can explode...........pa pa......

I just delivered my baby in Jan 2012.

My hubby & I decided to have a Burmese domestic helper as Indonesian govt keeps on changing rules & I can't speak Bahasa. We are not keen on Filipino maids as they can be quite hard to handle, will speak u more and want off days, hp etc. However, my Burmese helper some times drives me up the wall too!

On last Sun, she demanded for her salary from me when she had only worked for less than 2 weeks with us! I told her we had paid her loan of 7 mths to the agency on her behalf. I was so upset (worsened by post-natal blues) that I called my hubby who rushed home. Called the maid agency who got the translator to talk to her & explain clearly. The maid said it was her sister who asked her to ask. Hubby should not have made the calls for her to Myanmar & Malaysia using his handphone. She eats a lot too... 7 slices of bread & thick milo for breakfast. 3 bowls of rice during lunch / dinner. We allow her to eat as much as she wants. But she is very no "automatic". Hubby told me he would be home late, so I ate first, then asked maid to scoop rice and leave some for Sir. She scooped a lot for herself, and left very little for my hubby. In future, if hubby is coming home late, I must ration her portion of rice. Hubby said country folks usually tend to eat more, and eat more rice, plus we are providing her free food, so of coz she would tend to over-eat.

Hubby said I should not have spoilt her by allowing her to sit at the same table to eat with us. Now she will sit in the kitchen to eat. We had bought new mattress, new pillow, new bedsheets, new blanket, new fan, toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, container to put toothpaste & brush, shower stuff & towel, pail) and 5 pairs of bermudas for her (coz she wears jeans in the home to work. She only has 1 handcarry bag.) But I doubt she is really appreciative! (see below)

In her biodata, she stated she is willing to take care of newborn, willing to go without handphone. Guess what, in less than 1 wk, she asked me if she could have a handphone after 6 mths. She also said she would want to work in Malaysia after her 2-year contract as her sister & auntie are there. Hubby has a uncle with a Burmese maid - mother in law called her to talk to our maid. Our maid complains that she has to wake up at night to look after baby when he cries - changes diaper, milk. My hubby & I also wake up at night when baby cries. In fact, we ask the maid to sleep at 9am. She wakes up at 7+am. Both hubby & I zzz at midnight or even later to tend to baby's night feed first. I even allow the maid to take afternoon nap but she didn't say that to hubby's uncle's Burmese maid! 1st time getting a maid. Now I know why hubby said cannot spoil them!

I had to tell her to take in the laundry or she would not do so. The other day, I asked her to take afternoon nap & when it rained heavily, she didn't even realise. Today, I saw the grey sky & heard thunder, I quickly asked her to take in the clothes. She was sitting in baby's room and was in a daze... very stone and blur.

Last edited:

ping26

Does anyone's burmese maid like to go bra-less? Mine walks ard bra-less in the morning (6-8am) & after the night shower. I got a shock a few times when I went downstairs & found her in tank top only. Have told her to cover up before. Imagine if it was my hub who went down.

I think maids just want to talk to someone. We allow maid to have her phone on weekends, fri-sun. I don't even mind if she has a boyfriend as long as she does her job properly & doesn't bring the man to my home. But maids are like kids with limited self-control. Mine is alredi 30 years old.

Maids will say anything to get hired. Govt doesn't care about their promises.

My mother-in-law's indonesian maid had brought a Bangladeshi overstayer to her home! got caught by my MIL and she was sent back to Indon.

My Burmese maid wanted to call home, so hubby allowed her to use his hp to call. But she didnt even have the area code. Hubby helped by checking online. Then the few numbers she gave - either no one answered or wrong number. In the end, she said to call her sister in Malaysia. Apparently, she told me that she came to Sg to work without her mother's permission.

Before I had a maid, I used to think we need to treat them more fairly, and allow them to have more 'freedom'. But now, I have changed my mind.

Last edited:

JP12

My maid wants to go back agency. Give me attitude for so long. Just say wan to go back agency and get transferred. Anyone knows if I can cancel her work permit and repatriate her back to country? Once I cancel, she has to leave Spore right? Without informing agency? But wat will I lose besides paying for her air ticket? Agency sure will help her. So I dont wan contact agency straight away. If I send her back to agency, do I need to pay? Do I get anything back in return? She hasnt finished her 2 yr contract. She got to compensate rite? CNY cry! Spoil my whole CNY man! Treat them so nice also no use!

My 2nd maid (Indonesian) also gave an attitude. Whenever we told her how to get things done the way we want it, she will say we can send her back if we were not happy with her work. So one day, I cancelled her work permit. Bought the air ticket, sent her back to her home country. I didn't send her back to agency as I know agency will just find another employer and the poor employer will get the same attitude from this maid.

No doubt i lost money, but I i rather she not work for another family here in SG especially if it involves caring for little children, like she did mine. I was told by my niece that she bathed my 1 yr old daughter, didn't wipe her dry, put the diaper on and left her crawling around in the diaper with the fan on full blast. When my niece told her to put the clothes on as my girl will get cold, she told off my niece by saying that she should mind her own business.

Sad thing about us here is that, we have to depend on maids to help us out. But if only we can get good maids who can really care for our kids. Ppl who do not know think that we are fussy employers and ill-treating our maids. But if only they can see the reality of the situation.

Oh dear! I'm not sure about that coz 1st time employ maid.
My agency told me when we collected the maid that if anything, we must contact them 1st.
Dont think we can just repatriate maid back on our own?

When my Burmese maid demanded for her salary from me barely 2 weeks of work for us, I called hubby.
Then called agency who made arrangement for their Burmese translator cum trainer to talk to my maid & explained again that we had paid her loan of almost $3K upfront to the agency, and that she would only get a small pocket money per mth for first few mths, before she gets her full pay.

My relatives have given me bottles of DOM and boxes of chicken essence prior & after my delivery of my baby boy.
Find it strange that I had a 6-bottle of cordyceps chicken essence given by my mum missing. Thought I may not have brought it home.
My mum said she saw it in my cupboard prior to my delivery.

Then just now, I went to look at my papaya & kampong chicken soup. I had told my Burmese maid that the soup is for me, to boost my breastmilk supply. Half is for lunch, half is for dinner. Just now, I saw that instead of 4 pieces of papaya & 8 pieces of chicken, there is 1 piece of chicken missing!
Only me, my baby & the maid are at home... so now I know my maid will steal food! who knows what else she may steal?

Thank goodness my hubby & I bought a safe and it was delivered to our home a few days after she came. We locked our impt documents like marriage cert, passports, valuables like excess cash, jewellery & branded watched in the safe.

Initially, the maid had been sharing same food as me, like the expensive threadfin, quality pork etc. But after a while, we decided that she is too expensive to maintain if she eats the same confinement food as me, and we started to buy some other food for her, like other fish, etc.
We used to share our Seng Choon eggs and Gardenia / Sunshine bread with her. But she eats a lot!!! She eats 6-7 slices of bread every morning and thick milo. Once, I scooped out too much milo for myself, and scooped the rest for her. She felt it was not enough & scooped heaps into her glass. We have bought her cheaper jumbo size bread which she can finish in 3 days. My hubby & I can't even finish the same jumbo size in 3 days.

My hubby & I used to cook only 1 cup of rice. Now with her, we need to cook 2 & 1/4 cups. Once, my hubby said he would come home late for dinner. I told the maid to scoop rice for herself and leave some for Sir. In the end, she left very little for him even though 2 & 1/4 cups of rice were cooked!!!

We bought 5 pairs of bermudas for the maid as she had only 3/4 jeans. We supply her with the toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, shower stuff, new seahorse mattress, new bedsheets, new pillow, new blanket, new towel). I even gv her sanitary pads even though I need as many now, due to my delivery of baby. Had to ask my gal fren who was visiting me & baby to help me by more, as my supply of a few dozens of pieces ran out!

Sigh... really must be careful. I used to let her sit at the same table to eat with us... But really, as what my hubby says, we cannot spoil the maids. Give them an inch, they want a foot.

My relatives have given me bottles of DOM and boxes of chicken essence prior & after my delivery of my baby boy.
Find it strange that I had a 6-bottle of cordyceps chicken essence given by my mum missing. Thought I may not have brought it home.
My mum said she saw it in my cupboard prior to my delivery.

Then just now, I went to look at my papaya & kampong chicken soup. I had told my Burmese maid that the soup is for me, to boost my breastmilk supply. Half is for lunch, half is for dinner. Just now, I saw that instead of 4 pieces of papaya & 8 pieces of chicken, there is 1 piece of chicken missing!
Only me, my baby & the maid are at home... so now I know my maid will steal food! who knows what else she may steal?

Thank goodness my hubby & I bought a safe and it was delivered to our home a few days after she came. We locked our impt documents like marriage cert, passports, valuables like excess cash, jewellery & branded watched in the safe.

Initially, the maid had been sharing same food as me, like the expensive threadfin, quality pork etc. But after a while, we decided that she is too expensive to maintain if she eats the same confinement food as me, and we started to buy some other food for her, like other fish, etc.
We used to share our Seng Choon eggs and Gardenia / Sunshine bread with her. But she eats a lot!!! She eats 6-7 slices of bread every morning and thick milo. Once, I scooped out too much milo for myself, and scooped the rest for her. She felt it was not enough & scooped heaps into her glass. We have bought her cheaper jumbo size bread which she can finish in 3 days. My hubby & I can't even finish the same jumbo size in 3 days.

My hubby & I used to cook only 1 cup of rice. Now with her, we need to cook 2 & 1/4 cups. Once, my hubby said he would come home late for dinner. I told the maid to scoop rice for herself and leave some for Sir. In the end, she left very little for him even though 2 & 1/4 cups of rice were cooked!!!

We bought 5 pairs of bermudas for the maid as she had only 3/4 jeans. We supply her with the toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, shower stuff, new seahorse mattress, new bedsheets, new pillow, new blanket, new towel). I even gv her sanitary pads even though I need as many now, due to my delivery of baby. Had to ask my gal fren who was visiting me & baby to help me by more, as my supply of a few dozens of pieces ran out!

Sigh... really must be careful. I used to let her sit at the same table to eat with us... But really, as what my hubby says, we cannot spoil the maids. Give them an inch, they want a foot.
So, you still keep the maid? Your maid going to take care your baby? Anyone will stay at home or just maid and baby?

Ashbaby

My first babysitter took care of my son for 1 yr but unfortunately due to injury she couldnt care for son. She is a good babysitter. We then send our boy to childcare afterwhich he contracted bronchitis and due to health complications PD advised us to withdraw him. Then we found another babysitter but due to unforeseen circumstances she stop taking care of my boy after 1.5 week. I was left stranded. I sat down and discuss with my HB. We realised that babysitter is not a long term solution and we also cant monitor our boy. The amount of risk is almost the same as having a helper other than she is not living with us. My boy also need not adjust to a different environment.

Im a first time employer. My helper is with me for a week. She is also working for the 1st time in Singapore, no prior experience elsewhere. Her main core duty is to look after my 2 yrs old boy. She will be taking care of my son while both of us work. I have installed CCTV to monitor her. So far with my presence ard, she is okay. She is quite diligent in housework. As for caregiving, I can see she put in a lot of effort to learn how to tk care of my boy. The only thing is that sometimes she can be forgetful and I hope overtime with experience she will be better. Im on flexible working basis(working from home) for 3 weeks and dropping back to office every now and then.

She has no off days, no hp as agreed during the interview. I provided all toiletries to her. She eat separately in another table. She eat whatever I cook.

I dont believe in being a bad/nasty/stingy employer. So far I think I have treated her fairly. She also tell me Im good employer. I also dont want to spoil her. It's difficult to draw a line between being too good and being a nasty employer. I know employing helper is a matter of pure luck. I know of friends who really have very good helper and of cos those whose luck is not with them.

Hope those who employ helper to look after young children can share your experience and what rules are being laid to them. How to you monitor your helper and child when you are at work? Do you purposely leave valueables ard to test their honesty? TIA.

Last edited:

hpc

As long as no existing loan can send them back.Get her a ticket,cancel her permit on line 2 days before flying off.Don't let her know n keep her passport till that day.Make sure u see her go into the custom,ask the custom officer for assistant,tell them that she is the maid,otherwise she can don't go up the airplane,thats a big case.Gd luck

So, you still keep the maid? Your maid going to take care your baby? Anyone will stay at home or just maid and baby?
Other than her eating a lot of food and stealing food, she is all right with baby but could improve.
Have taught her how to feed and burp baby, change diapers etc.
As for bathing baby, I will do it myself.
During these 16 weeks of maternity leave, I am at home with baby and the maid.
But after that, my hubby & I intend o take our baby & maid to MIL's place so that she can help to oversee.

ping26

Background :
my sister's maid posted a boyfriend advertisement on the kitchen window. she also posed in underwear for construction workers across the road to take pix. She emailed the pix to MOM. She then repatriated the maid.

just posting reply from "Ministry of Maids",

The Ministry will only be able to place a foreign domestic worker on an employment ban if she is charged and found guilty of an offence under the Singapore laws.

Nonetheless, the Ministry is prepared to inform prospective employers that you have lodged a feedback on this worker's behaviour, provided that you are agreeable to us releasing your contact details to the prospective employers. We will advise the prospective employer to contact you directly if he wishes to seek clarification on the nature of the feedback. If the prospective employer decides to employ the worker in spite of your feedback, we will proceed to process the application.

Please let us have your updated contact details: email address or mobile/residential number if you are agreeable to the above within 7 days from the date of this email. Otherwise, we will have to treat this matter as closed.

So no police report means no ban. She can be back next mth!!!

If only, they protect us employers by making this compulsory for EVERY single transfer maid. That will really save us a lot of $$$ and time. We employers know new maids are sotong, as long they don't have bad attitude and habits, we do not have many other options. If only, they'll protect us from rogue agencies and maids.

yvonne_ktw

I have tried different agent before but I really must reco this agent because she is good.

Titian from Presslink employment 9006 8839
I have intro to mummies here before & most are happy with it