epidural or oxyen gas...

esta_837

At first I was determined not to take epi too, after hearing all the bad things about it.

When my due date approached, it turns out that I needed to be induced as baby's head may be too big for me. On my induction day, I still refused epi initially. They put in the oxytocin drip to start the contractions and to start labour. The contractions came and they were terribly unbearable, I wasn't dilating, so I quickly had the gas. It felt good (really light-headed) BUT didn't help with the pain. Finally asked for the epi, and thank goodness I did, because in the end I had to have an emergency c-section as after the doc broke the water bag, he discovered baby had passed meconium.

I didn't feel a thing when the epi was put in place :)

pepperphibs

Seriously, i feel if you are worried about the pain from the epi, now that i've been thru it, the pain from the contractions are 100X more painful. Haha!

SH74

actu it depends on a few things. some ppl can go thru d whole delivery w jus oxygen gas cos they find d pain bearable. some r scared of needles so dun wan epi. some cos it's too late for epi. for me, though i'm scared of needles but i'm more scared of immense pain, so i choose epi right away. haha.. luckily i still got a chance to make a choice.

actu it's not as bad la. jus dat d feeling is weird when they inject d liquid in. cold feeling. n u'll start to shiver uncontrollably. u can ask d nurse to reduce ur dosage if u wan to feel d push, which i feel is better. lower chance of getting d common side-effects (e.g. vomitting, giddiness,..)

maine78

My water bag burst so i was put on drip to force the contractions to come. Oxygen gas and thigh jab din't work at all. The frequency of my contractions is so fast that i have to rush the neurogist to inject the epi before my next contraction interval starts. But my whole body was shivering while being injected and after i gave birth. Uncontrollable shivering. Other than tat, epi is a saviour

foreveris

laughing gas din work for me too.. tried a few sniffs and threw it away.. managed to deliver without epi..
my suggestion.. if by the time you are 3-4cm dilated and you cannot take it anymore, go for epi.. no point enduring coz we all have different threshold of pain..
should you chose to perservere, with every contraction psycho yourself that the pain will go away.. and try to relax as much as you can in between contractions.. :001_302:

angelwendy

Actually the gas does help when in the beginning.. but after i was 4 cm & stuck there.. the pain i cannot take it already.. hubby see me in so much pain.. he ask me to take epi instead... epi is sure a godsend... it relieve my pain totally & i fall asleep after that... haha...:tlaugh: u can try the gas first.. because some ppl feel that is useful.. till u cannot tahan then u take epi... hehe...

dodos

Gas is good for short labour. If you dilate fast still ok to use gas. If your labour is hrs type say like more then 8hrs kind maybe gas won't work.

At first I was determined not to take epi too, after hearing all the bad things about it.

When my due date approached, it turns out that I needed to be induced as baby's head may be too big for me. On my induction day, I still refused epi initially. They put in the oxytocin drip to start the contractions and to start labour. The contractions came and they were terribly unbearable, I wasn't dilating, so I quickly had the gas. It felt good (really light-headed) BUT didn't help with the pain. Finally asked for the epi, and thank goodness I did, because in the end I had to have an emergency c-section as after the doc broke the water bag, he discovered baby had passed meconium.

I didn't feel a thing when the epi was put in place :)
after so many advice, i tink i will chose epi. lolz

apollo

mine was c-sect GA so i dunnohw painful it is to inJect epi (but think definitely LESSpainful than contractions). but IMHO, if u cant take the contraction pain, and laughing gas dun helps at all, den go ahead and take epi. imagine aft suffering from all the painful contractions, do u still hav the strength to PUSH when ur cervix is fully dilute?

some ppl can tolerant the contractions like Ting, but not everyone can. cause everyone and every pregnancy is diffe.

many ppl might said epi not good cos might cause backache when u r old.but who dont get backache when they are old?

i personally feel tt, during delivery, what's most impt is to deliver the baby safely, no matter natural birth or c-sect, with or w/o epi.

JMHO =)

Last edited:

vinder79

My sincerest applaud to mummies who gave birth and those who have long labour but did not take EPI.recently asked my mum and 2 aunties if they took epi and they told me No.And their gut wrenching stories of giving birth(all of them are 52 and below)After hearing i asked them why they did not take the "injection"and they told me cause of old wives tales.So i asked them again why their exact ans "we were stupid to give birth so many times and having to go through that kind of pain"I am the eldest among the kids AND MY MUM 52 CAN EVEN REMEMBER THE TIME I WAS BORN.sHE WAS WINCING WHEN SHE TOLD US THE STORY of her dilating and giving birth.
Thats the reason i really applaud and salute u ladies.

PTB7476

being a 1st time MTB i will try without epi only when it is totally unbearable then will go for it ...but given that my threshold for pain quite high ...hopefully i dun need one... dun feel comfy having injection into the spine :tlaugh:

angelwendy

that long.....................:elvis:

haha.. it depends.. everyone is different.. some got fast labour.. like mine.. is a slow one.. because i was stuck at 4 cm.. that's is the reason i took epi as well... to help me relax.. normally i hear.. first time labour will be a little longer.. but like what i say.. it depends... so don't get too stress...:tlaugh:

My sincerest applaud to mummies who gave birth and those who have long labour but did not take EPI.recently asked my mum and 2 aunties if they took epi and they told me No.And their gut wrenching stories of giving birth(all of them are 52 and below)After hearing i asked them why they did not take the "injection"and they told me cause of old wives tales.So i asked them again why their exact ans "we were stupid to give birth so many times and having to go through that kind of pain"I am the eldest among the kids AND MY MUM 52 CAN EVEN REMEMBER THE TIME I WAS BORN.sHE WAS WINCING WHEN SHE TOLD US THE STORY of her dilating and giving birth.
Thats the reason i really applaud and salute you ladies.

now i really respect my mummy.:red:

hueychye79

Laughing gas is totally no use for me..

Epidural really helps me to relife from pain.

No side effect at all.

paperger85

Its actually actually Nitrous Oxide and not Oxygen.

I personally had the Nitrous Oxide administered and it did help me. The thing with Nitrous Oxide is that you have to know that you need to take in slow deep breaths for it to work.

There are side effects for Epidural which happens but its quite rare. I have a friend's aunt who is paralyzed from the waist down due to Epidural. Its not widely publicized as they do not want people to fear the Epidural.

Well, if you have gone for antenatal classes and know the deep breathing technique, I believe the Nitrous Oxide will help you.

Anyway, you should feel pain even when you are being given Epidural as it lets you know when to push. If you feel totally numb, it means that too much of the medication has been administered.

Some people feel no pain and they don't know when to push and they need to have an assisted delivery with the help of forceps.

Its actually actually Nitrous Oxide and not Oxygen.

I personally had the Nitrous Oxide administered and it did help me. The thing with Nitrous Oxide is that you have to know that you need to take in slow deep breaths for it to work.

There are side effects for Epidural which happens but its quite rare. I have a friend's aunt who is paralyzed from the waist down due to Epidural. Its not widely publicized as they do not want people to fear the Epidural.

Well, if you have gone for antenatal classes and know the deep breathing technique, I believe the Nitrous Oxide will help you.

Anyway, you should feel pain even when you are being given Epidural as it lets you know when to push. If you feel totally numb, it means that too much of the medication has been administered.

Some people feel no pain and they dont't know when to push and they need to have an assisted delivery with the help of forceps.

ur friend's aunt is how old?... so kelian. :eek: