establishing proper naptimes

Mum2Matty

Read this article from latest issue of Young Parents :

establishing proper naptimes
Easing your baby into a good, steady naptime routine will probably be one of your top parenting priorities. If she doesn't sleep well, then you won't sleep well too - and everyone is grumpy!
There are different ways to establish proper naptimes, so choose one that suits you and your baby. You'll find that some people advocate a very strict schedule in which the baby is tucked in for a nap at regular times throughout the day and night. They believe that if you stick to a fixed set of times every day - whether or not your baby wants to sleep at that moment - then she'll soon settle into the pattern.
Yet, you'll also find that many others are against such a rigid schedule. Instead, they suggest you should be flexible, and allow your baby to sleep when she's tired and stay awake when she wants to play.

Pros & Cons

Advantages of a fixed naptime routine
- your baby's sleep routine follows yours, so both of you can get plenty of rest.
- life with her is predictable and structured, with few surprises.
Advantages of a flexible naptime routine
- you can change her naptimes to suit your own needs.
- she learns at a young age how to cope with change.

Disadvantage of a fixed naptime routine
- a static schedule can't keep up with your baby's constantly changing needs.
- you can't force her to have nap when she doesn't want to.
Disadvantages of a flexible naptime routine
- you may end up exhausted because she stay awake when you want to sleep.
- it's difficult to make plans if her naptimes are always shifting.

Action Plan for establishing proper naptimes

Blend routine and flexibility
A naptime shcedule that is either too strict or too flexible is unlikely to suit your baby. What is ideal is a sleep routine that follows a schedule, but is flexible when required.

Follow a pre-nap routine
Your baby will start to prepare herself for sleep if you follow the same preparatory steps each time. For instance, if you undress her, bathe her, dress her, and wrap her in a blanket each night before she goes to bed, you'll find that she starts to relax as soon as you begin the routine.

Have a clear nap goals
Know what time you want her to have a nap and aim towards achieving that. However, don't be overly concerned if you are a few minutes late or if she can't seem to fall asleep one night. What matters is that she sleeps around the same time most nights - not necessarily every night.

Give her time to settle herself
She may make noises and perphaps even complain loudly when you put her in the cot for a nap, but don't comfort her immediately. Wait a few minutes before responding as this helps her learn to settle herself for sleep.

Understand her perspective
By all means, soothe her when she cries and refuse to go to sleep. However, if you pick her up, play with her or feed her every time, she'll realise this is all she has to do in order to avoid naptime.

LoVeS

How i wish my ds can slp by his own dun need me coax him slp. Others can play or cry awhile then ownself fall aslp but ds wont except for feeding time.:embarrassed:

Mum2Matty

For me, I'll prefer fix routine as it's more predictable and easier for me to plan stuff as I'm a full time working mom w/o help.

So since 1mth old, I put my son on sleep training. That is, in the day, he'll sleep in the living room with the noise and from 7pm onwards, he'll sleep in the bedroom with lights out. If he wake up for breastfeeding, I'll breastfeed him in the dark with no talking. Back to sleep after he's done.

As he grows older, I do observe when is his "most sleepy" time in the morning and afternoon and adjust his nap time from there. So, morning is around 8.30/9am he'll take his nap and afternoon abt 1.30/2pm. Then night time will be fixed. He'll sleep from 7.30/8pm right thru to 6am in the morning.

Now he's 13 months, after I pick up up from nanny, reached home, the routine is simple, changed him, milk feed, massage, lights out. He'll roll abt on the bed with me lying nx to him, baby talk (but I do not talk to him), after a while, he'll go to sleep on his own.

I strongly believe the pre-nap preparation is very important because it let your baby know what to expect.