exclusively pumping mummies

mrsmorgan

can i check with those of u who are exclusively feeding baby ebm, how is it like when u go out? i knw i hav to bring bottles of ebm but what happens when ur breasts start to feel full when u're out? need to bring pump too??

newbie2009

can i check with those of you who are exclusively feeding baby ebm, how is it like when you go out? i knw i hav to bring bottles of ebm but what happens when your breasts start to feel full when you're out? need to bring pump too??
when i go out of the house, i will roughly time how long i will need to be out of the house. if i am going to be out for a long time, i will bring my pump. and the batteries so that i can pump even w/o the plug. and if there is plug, of course will use plug. its really very heavy. but no choice.

for me, my record of not pumping is about 13hrs, of coz after that it will b rather painful.

nsync_su

when i go out of the house, i will roughly time how long i will need to be out of the house. if i am going to be out for a long time, i will bring my pump. and the batteries so that i can pump even w/o the plug. and if there is plug, of course will use plug. its really very heavy. but no choice.

for me, my record of not pumping is about 13hrs, of coz after that it will b rather painful.
13hrs????? Wow!! Tats very long!! If i dun pump for 4hrs only... my breasts hurts badly and will leak and leak and leaks... lol!

newbie2009

13hrs????? Wow!! Tats very long!! If i dont pump for 4hrs only... my breasts hurts badly and will leak and leak and leaks... lol!
i have already gone past the stage of leaking. i stopped using breast pads for a long time.

how much u expressing per day?

For me, i am now pumping out at least 6-8hrs interval.

btw my son is already 7months old

cmeilim

yes, pls bring out your pump et al to pump if you are going to go out for more than 4hr. if u keep skipping pumping sessions or wait too long till the next pumping session, your body will read it as demand drop. as breastfeeding economics go, supply will also drop soon after that. as it is, comparing between direct latch and pumping, it is already more difficult for exclusively pumping moms to maintain milk supply compared to fully latching-on or partially latchin-on/partial pumping moms. so u dun really want to add on causes for supply decrease.

actually the best and most convenient way is to just latch on your baby to help u clear your milk. no need to lug around all the pump, bottles, ice blocks, ice bag, batteries, etc. =)

Last edited:

newbie2009

yes, pls bring out your pump et al to pump if you are going to go out for more than 4hr. if you keen skipping pumping sessions or wait too long till the next pumping session, your body will read it as demand drop. as breastfeeding economics go, supply will also drop soon after that. as it is, comparing between direct latch and pumping, it is already more difficult for exclusively pumping moms to maintain milk supply compared to fully latching-on or partially latchin-on/partial pumping moms. so you dont really want to add on causes for supply decrease.

actually the best and most convenient way is to just latch on your baby to help you clear your milk. no need to lug around all the pump, bottles, ice blocks, ice bag, batteries, etc. =)
its true that the best way to maintain the milk supply is to latch the baby. however mine has gone to stage of not wanting to latch on anymore. i think he has kinda lost the touch of how to suckle from my breast.

nsync_su

i have already gone past the stage of leaking. i stopped using breast pads for a long time.

how much you expressing per day?

For me, i am now pumping out at least 6-8hrs interval.

btw my son is already 7months old
I pump out every 3hrs and gets 130ml.. my son is only 4 weeks old. lol..

hueychye79

I pump out every 3hrs and gets 130ml.. my son is only 4 weeks old. lol..
That is very very good compare to me.

I still remember that time I keep pumping only get 90ml only..

After my comfinement lady left, than my milk start to come and only can pump 90-110ml...

Isaac already 6 months and I also start working, so have no choice I only can pump at 6hrs interval and get the breast milk about 230ml per session.

But in the morning after wake up can pump out about 280ml.

iwan2noe

can i check with those of you who are exclusively feeding baby ebm, how is it like when you go out? i knw i hav to bring bottles of ebm but what happens when your breasts start to feel full when you're out? need to bring pump too??
Usually, I will pump my milk b4 i go out and yes i will need to pump out after 8 hrs. It is the time when my flow is good and fast enuff, ard 35 mins for 200ml?

and i do bring all my pump n stuff all:)

momosa

Is it okay to pump exclusively when baby is only coming to a week old? Baby cant seems to latch and I'm quite comfortable with expressing BM. Baby is okay with drinking EBM as well.

cmeilim

Is it okay to pump exclusively when baby is only coming to a week old? Baby cant seems to latch and I'm quite comfortable with expressing breast milk. Baby is okay with drinking EBM as well.

hi momosa,

firstly congrats on your newborn! =)

the solution to baby not latching on properly is not exclusive pumping, the right solution is to find help, such as a friend who has successfully breastfed via direct latch or an LC, to help u correct your latch.

why? because the critical timeframe for establishing milk supply is the first 4-6 weeks after delivery. baby's suction is the strongest, stronger than any pump. if u latch on demand, it will be faster and easier for your milk supply to increase to meet your baby's demand. if u exclusively pump and introduce the bottle teat to your baby too early, your baby will all the more not want to latch on (as it's easier to suck via the bottle teat), and you will soon find your milk supply dropping cos each time you pump, you are only able to clear at most two-thirds of you breast, compared with total clearing of your breast if your baby latches on. the more milk is left in your breast at each pumping, the more your body will think demand has fallen, and hence the body will automatically reduce the supply. in the long run, you will soon find that you need to supplement with FM.

i have spoken to so many moms before who started introducing the bottle, and feeding EBM via bottle and pumping exclusively. invariably their milk supply all started falling soon after they went into exclusively pumping, no matter how often they try to pump or how long each time their pumping session lasts.

if you are serious abt wanting to breastfeed your baby for at least six months, i would strongly recommend that you see an LC to help you with getting the correct latch. your baby is still very young. there is a very good chance of being able to train her to get a good mouthful of your aureola and a strong suckle to illicit the let-down reflex for a good milkflow. if u wait longer and your baby gets used to the bottle teat, it will be harder to try to undo the situation later when u start seeing your milk supply drop.

newbie2009

That is very very good compare to me.

I still remember that time I keep pumping only get 90ml only..

After my comfinement lady left, than my milk start to come and only can pump 90-110ml...

Isaac already 6 months and I also start working, so have no choice I only can pump at 6hrs interval and get the breast milk about 230ml per session.

But in the morning after wake up can pump out about 280ml.
wow. u are expresing out quite alot. Keep up the good job. for me, milk is dwelling. not sure how long more i can sustain bf my baby.

momosa

hi momosa,

firstly congrats on your newborn! =)

the solution to baby not latching on properly is not exclusive pumping, the right solution is to find help, such as a friend who has successfully breastfed via direct latch or an LC, to help you correct your latch.

why? because the critical timeframe for establishing milk supply is the first 4-6 weeks after delivery. baby's suction is the strongest, stronger than any pump. if you latch on demand, it will be faster and easier for your milk supply to increase to meet your baby's demand. if you exclusively pump and introduce the bottle teat to your baby too early, your baby will all the more not want to latch on (as it's easier to suck via the bottle teat), and you will soon find your milk supply dropping cos each time you pump, you are only able to clear at most two-thirds of you breast, compared with total clearing of your breast if your baby latches on. the more milk is left in your breast at each pumping, the more your body will think demand has fallen, and hence the body will automatically reduce the supply. in the long run, you will soon find that you need to supplement with FM.

i have spoken to so many moms before who started introducing the bottle, and feeding EBM via bottle and pumping exclusively. invariably their milk supply all started falling soon after they went into exclusively pumping, no matter how often they try to pump or how long each time their pumping session lasts.

if you are serious about wanting to breastfeed your baby for at least six months, i would strongly recommend that you see an LC to help you with getting the correct latch. your baby is still very young. there is a very good chance of being able to train her to get a good mouthful of your aureola and a strong suckle to illicit the let-down reflex for a good milkflow. if you wait longer and your baby gets used to the bottle teat, it will be harder to try to undo the situation later when you start seeing your milk supply drop.
Hi cmeilim,

Thanks for your advice. I'm looking at consulting a LC very soon. Hope baby will be able to latch thereafter. : )

yes, pls bring out your pump et al to pump if you are going to go out for more than 4hr. if you keep skipping pumping sessions or wait too long till the next pumping session, your body will read it as demand drop. as breastfeeding economics go, supply will also drop soon after that. as it is, comparing between direct latch and pumping, it is already more difficult for exclusively pumping moms to maintain milk supply compared to fully latching-on or partially latchin-on/partial pumping moms. so you dont really want to add on causes for supply decrease.

actually the best and most convenient way is to just latch on your baby to help you clear your milk. no need to lug around all the pump, bottles, ice blocks, ice bag, batteries, etc. =)
There are places that are not bf friendly when u out, so hw do you manage to latch bb on without bringing the pump?

cmeilim

if i can't find a nursing room. i will just use my shawl o my baby's blankie to drape over my shoulder and shield baby a bit while latching him on. once he's latched on, i can quite safely remove the shawl cos i am wearing nursing clothes that are well-designed to provide the necessary privacy for nursing in public. if i forgot the shawl or blankie, i will just ask try to find a quieter corner or ask my hubby to shield baby and i for a while.

xue

if i can't find a nursing room. i will just use my shawl o my baby's blankie to drape over my shoulder and shield baby a bit while latching him on. once he's latched on, i can quite safely remove the shawl cos i am wearing nursing clothes that are well-designed to provide the necessary privacy for nursing in public. if i forgot the shawl or blankie, i will just ask try to find a quieter corner or ask my hubby to shield baby and i for a while.
where do you buy nursing clothes frm? cause i been to mothercare, kiddy palace, etc..but their nursing clothes all seem to be sooooooooooooo big.. i cant find my size..

cmeilim

where do you buy nursing clothes frm? cause i been to mothercare, kiddy palace, etc..but their nursing clothes all seem to be sooooooooooooo big.. i cant find my size..
Moms in mind, mothers en vogue, moms r us, Taiwan online stores... But I am not small :)

allycat

Moms in mind is having 15% discount on their regular priced nursing wear... Hmmm, seems like I'm always promoting for them :D