Fear of School...

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Fear of School. Fear of Going To School. Kindergarten. First Grade.

Came across this article cos' my dd (4 years old) kept saying she's afraid to go school... haiz...

Summary:
- Talk To Your Child. Talk to your child several times about going to school in advance. ...

- Read A Children’s Book. Read a book to your child about going to school....

- Draw a Story....

- Expect Physical Complaints. Keep in mind that some children will express their fears in familiar and safe words like "my stomach hurts."..... (Qiqi every morn also wants to "da bian" now...)

- Make Believe You Are Going To School. Play with your child and pretend you are going to school......

- Get Them Used To Being With Others. Some children are not used to being away from their parents....

- Stay calm, listen to them and don’t argue or raise your voice. Tell them you love them. Tell them that all children must go to school and then take them to school.

- When you take them to school, avoid a long goodbye when you drop them off. Your child may become more dramatic and increasingly upset if you give them a longer goodbye each time they get upset. (Duh... The class is always the last to close door cos' everyone is late... takes 10mins to say goodbye)

allycat

My 4 year old was relunctant to go CC initially and he was always late. He was ok after 2 weeks and he cant wait to go CC now.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
My 4 year old was relunctant to go CC initially and he was always late. He was ok after 2 weeks and he cant wait to go CC now.
My dd never gave problem from N1, N2... dunno why now K1 then like this... a bit lagged???
Trying to get her to talk about what she does in class... she seems ok and njoys her lessons... hmmm... only the "say goodbye" part then very EMO.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
she's daddy's girl mah... hahaha
haha!
2mrrow morn bringing her to med appt....
Just now she wrote a letter to me... in her own words... wifey told her the spelling...
"Papa, I really love tomorrow because I no need go to school tomorrow!"

BTH... at 1st wifey tot dd is going to write "I really love u..."
TMD.... :)

diymummy

Does her new K1 class have the same friends as she had in N1 and N2? Some kids face anxiety when they're in a new class without friends and with unfamiliar teachers.

One of the kid in my son's infant care faced such anxiety when going from infant care to PG. In the end they promoted one of the infant care teacher to PG.

camom

You mentioned her fav teacher left right? Maybe she feels insecure and usually N1 & N2 are smaller classes right?? Maybe she suddenly dun feel so comfortable in a bigger class. My dd's N1-N2 class was abt 12 students,suddenly explode to 25-26 children in K1-K2 cos they combined the 2 N2 classes for K1.

When we changed her sch at N1, her ccc principal told me to put her on the bus, say bye bye and leave immed. Don't follow to school, don't draw out the goodbye cos the kiddo sure cry.

Last edited:

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Does her new K1 class have the same friends as she had in N1 and N2? Some kids face anxiety when they're in a new class without friends and with unfamiliar teachers.

One of the kid in my son's infant care faced such anxiety when going from infant care to PG. In the end they promoted one of the infant care teacher to PG.
You mentioned her fav teacher left right? Maybe she feels insecure and usually N1 & N2 are smaller classes right?? Maybe she suddenly dont feel so comfortable in a bigger class. My dear daughter's N1-N2 class was about 12 students,suddenly explode to 25-26 children in K1-K2 cos they combined the 2 N2 classes for K1.

When we changed her sch at N1, her ccc principal told me to put her on the bus, say bye bye and leave immed. dont't follow to school, dont't draw out the goodbye cos the kiddo sure cry.
Ya.... her K1 class bigger now... her 2 "best" friends from N1/N2 also separated to other classes.... dunno how to sch arrange one... separate them for what... same timing but different classroom....
Everyday after sch... they will wait for one another outside the classroom... then go off together... so cute :)
Will try to go later to sch in morn... so no need long goodbyes... :)

autumn82

Ya.... her K1 class bigger now... her 2 "best" friends from N1/N2 also separated to other classes.... dont know how to sch arrange one... separate them for what... same timing but different classroom....
Everyday after sch... they will wait for one another outside the classroom... then go off together... so cute :)
Will try to go later to sch in morn... so no need long goodbyes... :)
Actually, is not very good to let them stick together for 2-3years. Especially when they are soo close type coz they might not mix around in class w others. I realised that coz Belle's bestie already 2 years in the same class.. They like can't live w/o each other, sats & suns also same thing, must meet at least for Awhile.... -_-"

Primary school I dunno how lor. I oredi started telling her, they won't be in the same school anymore and she loookss soooo sadz..

allycat

haha!
2mrrow morn bringing her to med appt....
Just now she wrote a letter to me... in her own words... wifey told her the spelling...
"Papa, I really love tomorrow because I no need go to school tomorrow!"

BTH... at 1st wifey tot dd is going to write "I really love u..."
TMD.... :)
she's so cute!!

camom

Actually, is not very good to let them stick together for 2-3years. Especially when they are soo close type coz they might not mix around in class w others. I realised that coz Belle's bestie already 2 years in the same class.. They like can't live w/o each other, sats & suns also same thing, must meet at least for Awhile.... -_-"

Primary school I dont know how . I oredi started telling her, they won't be in the same school anymore and she loookss soooo sadz..
dun worry, they'll adjust very quickly. My gal n her bestie are separated though they still meet every week for enrichment :)

they make new frens very quickly. For me, even if they happen to b in same sch, I'll not request for same class like some if my frens did.

camom

Daddy D, u spoke to teacher abt qiqi's sep anxiety? Maybe tr can pay her more attention for this period of time to help her adjust

Daddy D

Alpha Male

Primary school I dont know how . I oredi started telling her, they won't be in the same school anymore and she loookss soooo sadz..
Sounds more extreme than my dd lehh... my dd only say hi n bye when she see her friends outside on weekends... maybe they still dunno how to interact...

dont worry, they'll adjust very quickly. My gal n her bestie are separated though they still meet every week for enrichment :)

they make new friends very quickly. For me, even if they happen to b in same sch, I'll not request for same class like some if my friends did.
My sis also suggested requesting for same class... I think too drastic bahh...

Daddy D, you spoke to teacher about qiqi's sep anxiety? Maybe tr can pay her more attention for this period of time to help her adjust
Ya, spoke to the P n teacher... they say will monitor the situation... today went to class 10 mins later... luckily class door closed liaoo... but still got other kids late like us... so just a quick bye before dd starts to cry...

Was thinking perhaps dd is bored with the PCF curriculum... cos' she's already learning more advance stuffs during her weekend enrichments...
e.g. addition/subtraction... writing/reading sentences.... PCF is still on writing numbers and listening to sentences....
*headache*

autumn82

dont worry, they'll adjust very quickly. My gal n her bestie are separated though they still meet every week for enrichment :)

they make new friends very quickly. For me, even if they happen to b in same sch, I'll not request for same class like some if my friends did.
Yea, I also will request not to be in same class if her bestie goes to the same school. LOL. Too depending on each other liaooo :tlaugh:

autumn82

Sounds more extreme than my dear daughter lehh... my dear daughter only say hi n bye when she see her friends outside on weekends... maybe they still dont know how to interact...

My sis also suggested requesting for same class... I think too drastic bahh...

Ya, spoke to the P n teacher... they say will monitor the situation... today went to class 10 mins later... luckily class door closed liaoo... but still got other kids late like us... so just a quick bye before dear daughter starts to cry...

Was thinking perhaps dear daughter is bored with the PCF curriculum... cos' she's already learning more advance stuffs during her weekend enrichments...
e.g. addition/subtraction... writing/reading sentences.... PCF is still on writing numbers and listening to sentences....
*headache*
Ohhh.. Ya, coz we will meet to go out sometimes & for family events. :tlaugh:

camom

Ya, spoke to the P n teacher... they say will monitor the situation... today went to class 10 mins later... luckily class door closed liaoo... but still got other kids late like us... so just a quick bye before dear daughter starts to cry...

Was thinking perhaps dear daughter is bored with the PCF curriculum... cos' she's already learning more advance stuffs during her weekend enrichments...
*headache*
Maybe you can talk to qiqi abt sch - how is sch today? What did you do? Anything interesting happen, etc etc? Then also regularly ask for update fr the tr & P.

The most extreme case I ever saw was a boy dragged into class by his mommy n P. The mom n maid managed to drag him down fr the car but he laid down on the pavement outside the sch and refused to move. No choice, the mom went to call the P.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Maybe you can talk to qiqi about sch - how is sch today? What did you do? Anything interesting happen, etc etc? Then also regularly ask for update fr the tr & P.

The most extreme case I ever saw was a boy dragged into class by his mommy n P. The mom n maid managed to drag him down fr the car but he laid down on the pavement outside the sch and refused to move. No choice, the mom went to call the P.
Asked qiqi how was sch today... luckily she said "school was fun"... and she told mama she "cried a little only"....
But she still said she's very happy cos' tomorrow no need go to sch at Ahh Maa's house (PCF)...
hmmmm... relieved for a moment though... Monday come and headache again :)

autumn82

Asked qiqi how was sch today... luckily she said "school was fun"... and she told mama she "cried a little only"....
But she still said she's very happy cos' tomorrow no need go to sch at Ahh Maa's house (PCF)...
hmmmm... relieved for a moment though... Monday come and headache again :)
but weird eh.. all sudden she dun like sch... -_-" somemore now already April.. should have gotten used to it already..

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Finally dd didn't cry when she went sch this morn... just kept repeating she's scared... say bye then ok once inside class.
Not sure if it's the 5 mins suggestion thingy that my wifey is doing every nite... (sometimes dd will open her eyes and ask "Mama, what are you doing?"... BTH)
Ahh Maaa says it's kena "touch" by supernatural thingy... tell us cannot go beach... cannot cross bridge over water.... BTH....