Fetal Weight at 36 weeks, anything to increase fetal weight??

ny012

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new joiner at the forum, hope someone can help with more info. a little bit worried

So just came back from Dr and the Estimated Fetal Weight is 2.2kg at 36weeks. Dr says its a bit light, and will continue monitoring the growth weekly to see if anything needs to be done... I really want the baby to come out in her own time rather than c sec/induction... just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences and anything that I can do to help increase fetal weight.

Does taking maternity milk powder/fish oil supplements help?

Also do you happen to remember whether baby puts on a lot of weight from week 36-38?? Really hope that baby will be over 6 pounds at birth... fingers crossed

dmummy

hi mummy, i have the same experience!!! i can't really remember how many kg at 36 weeks... but gynae said it's in the borderline so i ate durian, ice cream, a lot of meat!!! everyday drink soya milk.. 38 weeks at 2.7kg already... but my gynae said the tummy is not growing, only the height of fetus growing that adding 200grams from 37weeks... you can also eat avocado..

ny012

Thanks for the advice... Will try eat more meat and avocado this week and see if it helps. Will be going for my next checkup at 37 weeks ( next tue) hopefully can put on 0.2/0.3 kg .

by the way, are the ultrasound estimates accurate? I've heard two moms say that their babies come out smaller than the ultrasound estimates. Is there anyone whose baby is born heavier/bigger than the ultrasound estimate?

ny012

Hi dmummy, have you had your baby already? How much did he/she weigh at birth? thanks a lot x

dmummy

i don't think the weight is accurate, some of my friends said that their child was born heavier than the estimate weight while some of them smaller than the estimate weight... i think at least 2.6kg is enough...
my baby still feel comfy inside my tummy :D 39weeks + 1 day now..refuse to come out earlier, already told her everything has settle, she can come out.. but no sign yet. just mild cramps..

ny012

Good to hear that there are some that are born Heavier than the estimated weight... so far I've only heard smaller. Congrats dear, could be any day now... good that the baby is still growing inside your belly so the baby would be stronger when he/she's out:) At this stage, I'm hoping my baby girl can stay inside until she puts on another 0.6kg.

Take good care and wish you a easy happy delivery!!

dmummy

U too mummy :) don't worry too much, i know it's hard!! esp when some people will say why the baby so small :) but just keep positive thinking, eat more and rest more! yeah mine still got a lot of space! still can kick here and there :) but it makes me feel secure, as i know she's doing well inside rather than she keeps quiet :D
u too have a easy happy delivery mummy :D

dmummy

Hi mummy an update for you :) my baby come out exactly the same weight as my gynae prediction. 2.8kg!

ny012

Congrats!! When did you deliver?? Hope it was a smooth experience for you .... Can't wait for mine to arrive

Enjoy motherhood:)

Lingz12

ny012, I noe u probably heard this a thousand times, but dun be too overly concerned about bb's weight.. U can always plump ur bb up wen bb is out! :D

My girl's weight remained stagnant at 2.2-2.3kg since 37 weeks.. I tried everything my gynae recommended - durians, maternal milk, lotsa protein and carbo, so much tat I wanna puke at the sight of food and the worse is all e weight gain is on me! Gynae concluded bb just dun wanna grow.. I was induced subsequently at 39w3d cos amino fluid level was low.. My girl came out 2.35kg, exactly wat my gynae estimated.. Small yes.. Most of my visitors dare not carry her cos they say she looks fragile! But now she's 3mths old and weighing 5.8kg.. PD said she has reached 50th percentile from 3rd percentile at birth.. So just wanna tell u from first hand experience tat yes, we may feel lousy as mummy wen bb came out smaller than average.. But who cares wat is their birth weight many years later? U can always plump them up! Now everybody says I hav a chubby baby and I feel so proud that I'm giving my girl my best..

A healthy baby is more important! Jia you!

dmummy

Congrats!! When did you deliver?? Hope it was a smooth experience for you .... Can't wait for mine to arrive

Enjoy motherhood:)
I was delivered at 10 december, induction one, as my gynae said the water abit low and baby didn't gain weight at all!!! It was amazing experience even i have the strong contraction 16 hours and only 3cm dilated!!! Decided to take epidural, and manage to push my baby out after 2 hours epidural!! I was planning to gave birth without any drugs help but it really hurt. A lot of people said induce will much much muchhhh hurt than normal process.

Hope u have a smooth delivery too!! Now need to feed my baby 3 hours once haha tired but really happy at least she likes breastmilk! She was admitted to hospital 2 days n given formula milk....

diza

Ultrasound is not accurate. I rmbr my boy was estimated to be 3.1kg two days before I delivered. He was 3747g at birth! Impossible to gain 600g in 2 days right? So don worry.. I've heard ppl eating lotsa durian to gain baby's weight. It's true that induction hurts badly! I was in the labour ward for more than 23 hrs as i took a long time to dilate! Just listen to ur gynae. If he/she says better to induce or c-sect then do so coz I guess ur gynae worried that the nutrients is not passed to ur baby.

ny012

Thanks for all the kind words and reassurance:) I wont worry too much about the baby's weight for now, think will just try to enjoy the last part of pregnancy (even though it's kind of hard lol) and wait for her arrival !

Lingz12, great to hear that your baby is now at 50th percentile after being a small new born... Congrats!! you're right, if the baby is small just need to spend more time feeding her after she's born

dmummy, Congrats on the delivery, 2.8kg is already more than 6 pounds!! I would be super stoked if my baby girl come out that size.

chewysee and diza, thanks for your info. I hope the estimation is smaller than actual for my case as well , I'm really hoping that I can deliver without induction/c sec, will have to see after my next appointment which is in two days time.

Thanks so much for the support, it really means a lot and hope you all enjoy a great xmas holiday with your babies :)

YUKIYOYO

Don't worry my bb estimated weight at 36 weeks was 2.2kg & I was really worried. 2 days later when he's born he weighed 2.6kg!

ny012

Hi Lingz12 and Dmummy,

I just went for a checkup today and the baby's weight stood still at 2.4kg and the Fluid Level is borderline so my gyn suggested induction/c-section this Friday.

However my cervix is not dilated at all... just wondering with your induction process, was your cervix already dilated a bit before induction? and how long did it take for the cervix to dilate? Did the Dr use the pill inside the vagina and did the pill hurt?

Would be very helpful to hear back from your experience, there seems to be a lot of negative experience with induction and most seem to have to go for emergency c-section afterwards so quite worried.

dmummy

Hi mummy, mine was not dilated and the nurse will insert the pills into our cervix. I was 1cm dilated after the first 6 hours of induction. Did ur gynae mention if the cervix ald soften? Mine ald soften, and i walk a lot before the induction. The dilation for me very slow 16 hours only 3.5cm!!! I tried laughing gas n tight jab but no use, then i chose epi, i don't want to have emergency c-sec hence i choose epi. It did helps!!! After epi, i'm more relax only 2 hours 7cm dilated and the next 15 mins fully dilated!!! It takes about 45 mins to push :) i manage to have normal delivery with epi.

Dun worry, some might takes only 3 hours, it might different from each other. As long as you have the strong intention for normal delivery, it will works! I just afraid if i tahan the pain i will go to emergency c-sec . Good luck!! Don't think too much

B zhai

Hi I went thru induce. Gynae inserted 2 tablets the day before delivery. It was not painful at all. During delivery day, I had oxytocin drip, which will trigger contraction. I was admitted to hospital at 9am and drip put on at 930am. Baby was born at 410pm. As I dilated very quickly from 3cm to 7cm in less than 1hr and then to 10 cm in less than half hour. The contractions were painful as my epidural din work well. I was only numbed on left side of tummy n thigh. I could still feel contraction on the right. Until I got the aesthetician to re-insert. Then it was better. But by then I was already dilating so fast. But I consider myself lucky cos labour time was short. :) gd luck all mummies!

ny012

Thanks Dmummy and B zhai for sharing your experiences. I really hope that I can have a vaginal delivery like you guys too tomorrow. Praying hard for it!

The doctor says that I will have a pill inserted vaginally the night before the delivery, and then will have the IV drip the next day. I think I will choose to have the epi before they put in the IV drip to trigger contraction. Hope my baby girl will stay strong and come out nice and healthy...

Thanks for the support x

Lingz12

Hi ny012, hope I'm not too late in replying.. I was 1.5cm dilated before induction.. 6hrs after the pill went in, I was only 3cm dilated. Super slow! Oh, insertion of the pill is ok, not particularly painful, but uncomfortable.. It's like the normal cervix check just tat gynae put the pill in.. Anyway, gynae decided to burst my water bag to keep things moving.. Painful contractions started almost immediately, succumbed to epidural after 1hr and fully dilated after another 1+hr and pushed for half hr before bb finally out!

And yes, before I went for induction I was rather worried abt ending up with emergency c sec.. So I did a lot of squats, climb a lot of stairs and walk a lot the weekend before.. Read tat doing these could speed dilation up!