Fever - - - - - - - - - is all fever med the same ?

ling.er

Son having fever since yesterday morning ... after giving him med he seem ok but evening time it getting worst.. After work rush home & brin him to a doc which is 38.2 deg tat time... Doc give mi fever med which is PINK in colour..

FEED him after milk & also mid night once .. But fever nt goin down.. morning i off to work . MIL told mi tat Bukit Batok there the family clinic med is good & strong. She ask mi weather can brin son to see doc there as his fever is nt down. So i say OK ! she also brin along the med yesterdat doc give mi to check izit same with the family clinic anot...

Mostly all fever med is the same right? Only strong or not strong only?
Son fever whole day 38 deg + nv went down... Was so worry !!! Husband say tat if tomo nt recover shall brin him go Hospita check alrd...

No there are different meds for different degree of fever. I have the pink paracetamol liquid for mild fever and once I was given an orange liquid (forgot name) for fever reaching 38.5. I also have Voltaren suppository for high fever.

Put your baby in light clothing and sponge him with warm water on head, back of neck, chest and armpits. NOT COLD water. Keep giving the paracetamol periodically and if fever don't subside by 3rd day, think you should go back to the pd.

Last edited:

pokemon97

normally the doctor will presc the pink colour unless it's high fever above 38.5 then will give nurofen which is orange colour. I always sponge to keep the temperature down.

Divameow

No there are different meds for different degree of fever. I have the pink paracetamol liquid for mild fever and once I was given an orange liquid (forgot name) for fever reaching 38.5. I also have Voltaren suppository for high fever.

Put your baby in light clothing and sponge him with warm water on head, back of neck, chest and armpits. NOT COLD water. Keep giving the paracetamol periodically and if fever don't subside by 3rd day, think you should go back to the pd.
i think for high fever medicine starts with the letter "I". that is for high fever.

Divameow

Son having fever since yesterday morning ... after giving him med he seem ok but evening time it getting worst.. After work rush home & brin him to a doc which is 38.2 deg that time... Doc give mi fever med which is PINK in colour..

FEED him after milk & also mid night once .. But fever not goin down.. morning i off to work . mother in law told mi that Bukit Batok there the family clinic med is good & strong. She ask mi weather can brin son to see doc there as his fever is not down. So i say OK ! she also brin along the med yesterdat doc give mi to check izit same with the family clinic anot...

Mostly all fever med is the same right? Only strong or not strong only?
Son fever whole day 38 deg + never went down... Was so worry !!! Husband say that if tomo not recover shall brin him go Hospita check alrd...
i think you may want to go back and see if the doctor will prescibe you with anti-biotics and give you the high fever medicine. i remembered in march, my son has high fever till 39.8 and nearly want to bring him to hospital but my cousin, whom is a clinic nurse, told me even if you go to hospital, they will also prescribe you the high fever medicine and send you back home to monitor. most importantly, if you find your boy is still eating and alert other than feeling drowsy, you do not have to be worry.

ling.er

Re: Fever - - is all fever med the same ?

Bring him to Bukit Batok family clinic.. The med was good.. Is ligh peach in colour... After feeding him tat fever med... Evening time the fever already cool down.. He able to walk & play. nt like day time feel so tired like tat, Dun even wan to walk keep wan carry by ppl...

* Fever already gone but come with the coughin & flu nw ><" Gues is the heaty weather nw aday...

ping26

There are 2 types of fever-reducing medication :
b) brufen or neurofen, (main active ingredient is ibuprofen (which is based on propanoic-phenolic acid).
a) paracetamol which is based on acetaminophen.

They may have different colours depending on the manufacturer. Both medicines are available at pharmacies without prescription. Most clinics should carry both medicines.

For persistent fever, doctor may prescribe both ibuprofen and paracetamol - to alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol every 3 hrs if the temperature is below 39.5 deg. Ibuprofen is very fast acting - it can bring a fever down by 0.5 - 1 degree within 30 min. It is stronger so some doctors will prescribe paracetamol if they think the infection & fever is mild.

I think it's about the GP's skills - some doctors are just conservative in management. I think most doctors would be careful when treating a young child.

I think it's unsafe to self-medicate (buy from pharmacy) for toddlers cos medicines for toddlers are prescribed according to body weight. Sometimes, we don't recognise other symptoms or severity of viral infection.

camom

Paracetamol (the pink one) is a suspension. This means that different doc might prescribe different strength of suspension. I think the most common one is 250mg. This is also why docs usually calculate the dosage based on your child's wt.

ling.er

But the one i had nw (PINK colour ) Since no use to my son.. Cos tat day night alrd had abit fever 37.5Deg like tat so give him med but next morning fever stil there & afternoon even higher... try give him med for the 6 hourly no cool down .. So MIL then bring him to another clinich then very next day ... After taken it 1 time the fever alrd cool down..

JJDad

But the one i had nw (PINK colour ) Since no use to my son.. Cos tat day night alrd had abit fever 37.5Deg like tat so give him med but next morning fever stil there & afternoon even higher... try give him med for the 6 hourly no cool down .. So MIL then bring him to another clinich then very next day ... After taken it 1 time the fever alrd cool down..
Some doc's practice is to prescribe medicine that is not too strong to a child and see what is the outcome, before he/she prescribe a stronger medicine. If the child can react well to a mild medicine, by giving a stronger medicine is not good for the health in the long run. All western medicines have side-effects.

Another experience I wish to share is, if u suspect the fever is dengue fever or equivalent, and intend to seek consultation in KKH A&E Dept, pls do so only on the 3rd/4th day (can't really remember) of fever onwards. The reason is because, all the docs told me that dengue fever has an incubation period of 3-4days.

So if u bring ur child before that, they will tell u that they cannot confirm whether is it dengue fever or not, and u will have to make another trip down 1-2 days later to conduct a blood test. Pls mind that each visit to the KKH A&E Dept is $85 for each visit, not including medication cost. So be calm and act smart.

camom

The paracetamol is just a fever relieving med. If the root cause of the illness is not resolved, the fever will persist. This is the body's method of fighting off the infection. Fever is not an illness, it's a symptom of an illness.

ling.er

I was inform by doc tat the fever med will take 3-4 day to recover or cool down... As he havin mild cough n flu tat time.. So on the 2nd day nt yet start to recover or wat then MIL say the med NO USE then she brin him to see another doc again lo..

So my hus nw gt 2 type of FEVER med = ="

JJDad

I was inform by doc tat the fever med will take 3-4 day to recover or cool down... As he havin mild cough n flu tat time.. So on the 2nd day nt yet start to recover or wat then MIL say the med NO USE then she brin him to see another doc again lo..

So my hus nw gt 2 type of FEVER med = ="
wat the doc said is right. normally fever will take a few days to subside, some even take a week. even u bring ur child to another doc on the 2nd day, the doc will either give u another medicine or ask u to continue the previous one.

another thing is, like what I mentioned in my previous post, any other tests preferably to be done on 3rd or 4th day onwards. Some doc in KKH may want to do a urine test to confirm whether there is a urinary tract infection that cause the fever.

Its good to keep some fever medicine, esp the pink one (paracetomol) so that u can self medicate ur child when u discover there is fever. reason is that, the doc will also prescribe the same medicine if u bring ur child to see doc.

Ting

yah agree with apollo, meds dont work miracles or magic, it takes time to take effect and let the body recover. and y u worry over the fever med. IF im not wrong, the pink one u hv is para n the light peach one is neurofen or ibrurofen, cos thats the type of (colour) my doc prescribed to pin too.
doesnt matter if ur hse has 2 or 3 or 4 types of fever med, just make sure u use the right one at the right time.. seems to me that ur mil thinking is meds dont work with immediate effect = useless. will she overdose ur kid with med? o_O? shld educate her on this lor. no point keep bringing ur son to see the doctor n wate the $$$ cos they will still prescribe the same type of meds.

littlena

Alpha Male
Treat the cause not the temperature...

If you are not careful you may overdose...

they come with side effects... brufen screws up the stomach.. bleeding etc..
Paracetamol screws up the kidney

JJDad

Treat the cause not the temperature...

If you are not careful you may overdose...

they come with side effects... brufen screws up the stomach.. bleeding etc..
Paracetamol screws up the kidney
In fact all western medicines got side effects.

Liviern

Different manufacturer has different color of medicine. Best is to differentiate by their 'generic name', ie the 'active ingredient'. The most commonly used one is PARACETAMOL (equal to Panadol) and IBUPROFEN (equal to Neurofen).

Normally doctors will start with PARACETAMOL first as it's milder to the stomach & caused less side effect. Since this medicine is taken at 4-6 hour interval, if fever still very high after 2 hours taking PARACETAMOL, sometimes doctor will 'supplement' with 1 dose of IBUPROFEN.

try not to give IBUPROFEN to kids below 1 year old as it's a bit too strong & sometimes can cause very bad allergic reaction.

My pediatrician told me most fever are caused by virus, so no need to take antibiotics. And these viral fever normally takes 3-4 days to recover. dont't be scared if the fever keeps coming back after the medicines, cause fever is a sign that the body immune system is fighting the virus. most important is baby is still eating well & still active. She also told me no need to be too worried for any fever less than 39C. But if not sure, should always go for a doctor.

I heard that in Kandang Kerbau Hospital, they dont't give any fever medicine for baby below 3 months old. What they do is to give the cooling gel on forehead and keep the baby cold.

ling.er

Ya u are right.. My MIL though tat the medic useless when son alrd taken, She will brin him to another clinic which she think tat is good.. Cos the Fever med the doc say had add someting in it.. it much stronger then normal fever medic...

Recently my son lip is red So mayb heaty again... Worry tat the fever might come .. as is stil teething...
- coolin gel my son dun like when i stick on his forehead.. he will tear it off...
- When he having fever he dun feel like playing or walking.. Keep wana ppl to hug him / carry him.. tat even worst cos 2 person body heat even hot right...