Finger foods for 7 month old infant

Flame Angel

Hello all,
experienced mommies pls shed some light
my son is 7 month old now, currently for snacks he takes bread , Heinz biscuit dipped in milk, mashed banana and apples.. But he seems to be very curious to self feeding by grabbing things and putting on his mouth ..I thought it will be right now to introduce him some finger foods so he can try on his own
any ideas what can I feed? I saw recently Heinz puff, can I give him?any home recipes or ideas?

camom

I gave mine grated veg like carrot, celery to begin with. When he was better at chewing, I gave him hard veg sticks to chew on and thin fruit slices like apple & pear.

cmeilim

i started giving my boy, who just turned 8 months, Healthy Times organic (hard) teething rusks to chew on. The problem is he will drop them onto the floor accidentally (and sometimes playfully) after chewing for a while. My question is how to let him eat food such as veg sticks, puffs, teething rusks and biscuits without him dropping within seconds after holding them?

Phoebii Cheng

You can give him the puffs, it will stick to his finger....my son liked the gerber star puffs till he was abt 20mths....

We oso gave him cut fruits, bread, buns all cut up into small pieces, chee cheong fun (plain), chwee kueh (plain), hmmm cannot really remember oredi...:tlaugh:

camom

My 2 kids don't like teething rusks.

If he is gd at chewing and gumming already, then you might want to try putting some in a small bowl for him to reach for to minimise wastage. Can always refill after he finishes.

cmeilim

hi camom, tks for your advice. what is 'gumming'? my boy has no teeth yet. but he keeps putting things into his mouth and sometimes does the chewing action even though there is nothing in his mouth. the teething rusks i have currently is the hard type - so not possible to break into smaller pieces in a bowl for him. i hv just bought another brand which is softer and can be broken into smaller pieces, but have not opened the box yet. Will try later this week.

hi phoebii, at what age can babies start eating the gerber puffs? are they small enough to cause choking? are these organic? where can i buy them from?

Phoebii Cheng

gerber puffs are small enough and they melt in the mouth, so I think should be ok to give to ur bb, if you feel otherwise you might want to break it in half or one third and give it to ur bb.....before I give my son tht time, I try it out first hehe and it taste good, sometimes when I m hungry and nothing to eat would munch on it and in the end I finish it :tlaugh:

you can get gerber puffs at carrefour, giant......:tlaugh:

Flame Angel

Thanks camom, phoebii
my son just turned up 7 months , I gave him very thin slice of white bread and put in his hand .. He grasps it very well and munched the whole piece.. I gave him the second piece , he then dropped it but didn't realize that but put his hand in his mouth .. So funny
then I helped him out , will try giving him thin sliced apple as well today ..
How much is the gerber rusk? Is it available in cold storage as well?
Thanks in advance

nancy

hi camom, thanks for your advice. what is 'gumming'? my boy has no teeth yet. but he keeps putting things into his mouth and sometimes does the chewing action even though there is nothing in his mouth. the teething rusks i have currently is the hard type - so not possible to break into smaller pieces in a bowl for him. i have just bought another brand which is softer and can be broken into smaller pieces, but have not opened the box yet. Will try later this week.

hi phoebii, at what age can babies start eating the gerber puffs? are they small enough to cause choking? are these organic? where can i buy them from?
i gave my baby who is 8 mth old organic apple puff from Organix. It costs $8.95 per container. I find it expensive and recently purchased it at Amazon.com for around S$4+ per bottle (it comes in pack of 6) thro the overseas spree under Spore Parenthood. Maybe you can check it out.

cmeilim

hi nancy, tks for the tip! do u still have the contact detail or url of the spree organiser?

Phoebii Cheng

Thanks camom, phoebii
my son just turned up 7 months , I gave him very thin slice of white bread and put in his hand .. He grasps it very well and munched the whole piece.. I gave him the second piece , he then dropped it but didn't realize that but put his hand in his mouth .. So funny
then I helped him out , will try giving him thin sliced apple as well today ..
How much is the gerber rusk? Is it available in cold storage as well?
Thanks in advance

Yes I think gerber rusk is available at cold storage as well as giant....

camom

Gumming is the chewing action minus the teeth.

The impt thing to note is not to give things that break off easily into big not-dissolvable pieces when bb chews, to minimise choking.

mandymtb

mummies, i checked out the teething biscuits of the brands that are mentioned here, but realised the ingredients consist of palm pil, salt, sugar etc etc...

can a 8mth mold baby take these now??

i tot its no salt and sugar and palm oli for them now... no??

pls advise

meiteoh

If it has palm oil, check what type. Palm oil olein is the one that is healthy and contains good fats/oils.

Salt is to make the rusks hard - cannot escape this one. :(

mandymtb

i gave my baby who is 8 month old organic apple puff from Organix. It costs $8.95 per container. I find it expensive and recently purchased it at Amazon.com for around S$4+ per bottle (it comes in pack of 6) thro the overseas spree under Spore Parenthood. Maybe you can check it out.
hi, can i know where in SG did you buy the Organix apple puff from?

meiteoh

Just to update the thread: Since Eva turned 7 mths, I've been giving her organic rice cakes (no added salt or flavouring). You can find them at any organic section at the supermarket. I will also give her HT teething rusks (maple or vanilla) as well as HT puffs but I try to not give these often as they can interfere with her appetite for milk or solid food. Will give her fresh fruits and veg when she's around 8 mths or older.

mandymtb

Just to update the thread: Since Eva turned 7 mths, I've been giving her organic rice cakes (no added salt or flavouring). You can find them at any organic section at the supermarket. I will also give her HT teething rusks (maple or vanilla) as well as HT puffs but I try to not give these often as they can interfere with her appetite for milk or solid food. Will give her fresh fruits and veg when she's around 8 mths or older.
hey meiteoh, which brand of the organic rice cakes is this? am looking HIGH and LOW for something wif no salt and falvour...

HT puffs?? and teething rusks? i dun find them in supermarts like ntuc and cold storage... where can i find them??

meiteoh

Organix rice cakes is what I give Eva - I bought them at Cold Storage at Tampines but they sold out so quickly! You can find the puffs at Carrefour at Plaza Singapura but otherwise, need to go to stores that stock a lot of HT stuff.

So in the end, I decide to buy my organic stuff from Four Seasons at Parkway - they have a good supply of HT teething rusks plus puffs as well as Organix rice cakes (they have a few flavours too as opposed to Cold Storage's two flavours) plus puffs from Happy Bellies and other brands.

Eva loves loves LOVES the rice cakes to bits and can finish one in like 2 minutes. I like Organix coz of the size (it's about the size of her fist) - there are other brands but most cater for adults as well and those are like super huge!

mandymtb

Organix rice cakes is what I give Eva - I bought them at Cold Storage at Tampines but they sold out so quickly! You can find the puffs at Carrefour at Plaza Singapura but otherwise, need to go to stores that stock a lot of HT stuff.

So in the end, I decide to buy my organic stuff from Four Seasons at Parkway - they have a good supply of HT teething rusks plus puffs as well as Organix rice cakes (they have a few flavours too as opposed to Cold Storage's two flavours) plus puffs from Happy Bellies and other brands.

Eva loves loves LOVES the rice cakes to bits and can finish one in like 2 minutes. I like Organix coz of the size (it's about the size of her fist) - there are other brands but most cater for adults as well and those are like super huge!
one qn thou.. does eva knows how to bite/gum now?

cos my lil one doesnt seems to show any signs of gumming yet... even when i feed her cereal or porridge, she will jus like swallow whole.. am worried the rice cakes may choke her....

i check out HT webby, realised the puffs are actually meant for 12mth older... is eva taking this well now??

meiteoh

Yeah, she knows how to gum stuff. I started off with soft lumpy cereal and after a while, I noticed that she quite enjoy it so I gave her the puffs but I soften it a bit first and slowly watch her. Rice cake is still quite big and won't be able to fit into her mouth in one piece so no worries about her swallowing it whole plus it softens easily. Maybe start with fruit and see how things go first?