First time getting maid - need advice!!

Vach

Depends on your agent fees. Smaller agency usually charge less. My agent fees is around 950.
In addition, you will need to pay for her insurance which is around 250+ (for mine IIRC).

My Monthly salary for my FDW is $450. She is entitled 1 workday off each week. If you do not allow her off days then you need to pay 450/26 = $17 per off day to her.

Government levy is $265 however if you have kids below 12 or old folks above 65 then the levy is $120

germgerm

Thunderbird, u shld not give. Ur maid is not goin to return im sure... Heard many cases like that... Promise to come back then disappear after that.

Thunderbird

Thunderbird, u shld not give. Ur maid is not goin to return im sure... Heard many cases like that... Promise to come back then disappear after that.
Hi germgerm, yes I told her I am not able to give her 4 months advance as that's too much to ask for and there is no guarantee that she will return. So now, shes saying that she will go back later instead. But ever since, she has been showing me "black face" and even when I ask her things sometimes, she gives me mono-syllabus words or very short answers like she doesn't really want to talk (like giving me cold shoulder). And even when I ask her to do things, she doesn't respond with "yes, mam" or "ok, mam" like she used to. She will just do it without a word of acknowledgement. And she's been showing this kind of attitude for 5 days already.

It almost seems ridiculous to me that as the boss, I have to receive her black face everyday and I'm the one paying her salary. :bmad:

Thunderbird

Thunderbird, her attitude sounds bad. Are you still considering renewing her contract?
Hi Ordolla, I'm in two minds. Will see how long this bad attitude last. Her contract expires end July so I'm assessing her performance these 4 months. Her saving grace is that she's pretty good to the kids and takes good care of them, plus she's not the lazy/greedy type. That's why I close one eye. But still, such behaviour cannot be condoned. It's not like I've done her wrong. On the contrary, I've been most kind to her. She's got more to lose if she continues with her poor attitude.

Pinkcream

first time having a maid, need some advice
1) are we supposed to give her ezlink card to use during her off day ?
2) are we supposed to buy sanitary pad for her ?

beside looking my in law , my maid is free, can I get her to do babysitter for another family ?
she dont mind doing too cause she also say she is so free hahahah

Thunderbird

first time having a maid, need some advice
1) are we supposed to give her ezlink card to use during her off day ?
2) are we supposed to buy sanitary pad for her ?

beside looking my in law , my maid is free, can I get her to do babysitter for another family ?
she dont mind doing too cause she also say she is so free hahahah
Hi pinkcream, these are based on my experiences. I guess there's no hard and fast rule, depends on how you want to do it.
1) I bought the ezlink card for her with an initial value of $20 but subsequently, she tops up herself.
2) Similarly, I bought a few variety for her (panty liners, day pads and night pads - the ultraslim kind). But she didn't ever ask me for more or told me she's ran out of sanitary pads. Then I realised she buyers her own so I left it at that.
I also buy shower gels, shampoos and toothpaste/brush etc for her. Sometimes she uses what I buy but sometimes she buys her own. So if I buy, she will use but if don't have, she will buy herself. She also won't ask from me.

By right, your maid is only supposed to work for your household lah. By left, I dunno. I suppose if the other family is living under the same roof or if the baby comes over to your place, then it should be fine.

germgerm

Thunderbird, my view on changing maid is if u think u can easily find a better or same maid easily,u change. But if u think ur next maid wun b as good as her, u better think twice. Nowadays v diffc to find good maid... So must think properly. If u find that u can still close one eye to her doing then better not take e risk to change maid. U might b giving urself more trouble changing maid!

Thunderbird

Thunderbird, my view on changing maid is if u think u can easily find a better or same maid easily,u change. But if u think ur next maid wun b as good as her, u better think twice. Nowadays v diffc to find good maid... So must think properly. If u find that u can still close one eye to her doing then better not take e risk to change maid. U might b giving urself more trouble changing maid!
Germgerm, I'm actually pretty happy with her house work in general and how she cares for my kids. But my priority is not the house work so in that area, my expectation is not high. So in terms of taking care of the kids, she is quite on the ball and quite patient. That is why when things I don't like happen, I can close one eye, sometimes both eyes. I agree changing maids is not easy esp with the new rules etc kicking in and worse still, might get someone not as good. That's why I feel it's a give and take. And man do I give. I give her a lot of freedom, dont dictate what time she wakes or sleeps, what chores to be completed daily, when she wants to take off day, and advancing her more money to send home when she requested, fed her well, buy her iPhone as her first year reward incentive, give her wifi access, give her extra cash for her kids birthdays, christmas and CNY etc. But this latest one (asking for 4 months advance to go home) was really the straw that broke the camel's back. I only hope she realises too that she is also lucky to be working for me. As much as I risk getting a worse maid should I change maid, she also risks getting a worse employer should she change employer. Ultimately, I still feel she's worth keeping at least for another contract term.

Karinet

I realized that many people have this common question of "how do I hire a maid?" "Where do I start?". I too had these questions and therefore I would like to share my experience with all of you. I have always wanted to try and hire a maid on my own. However, due to my busy schedule, I had to engage maid agencies to settle the applications. I think that it is important to understand the process well. Personally, I use an online maid listing portal to source for the maids and recently I have been exploring into www.searchmaid.com.sg. The thing I like about SearchMaid is their interfaces and the wide range of maid agencies. I can also seek advice from the agencies through an instant messaging platform. Let me share about other maid listing portals in the future.