First time mum!

Eleanor

I read that a transvaginal ultrasound is usually done for 5-6weeks into pregnancy...would it be necessary for me to see a gynae at this stage or can I wait till i'm about 8weeks then they can just do the transabdominal ultrasound?

junebug86

My gynae did vaginal scans on both my 6 and 9 weeks appt. But to me it is not painful, just a slight discomfort but it will be worth It when you see the little flickering heartbeat on the screen. Gynae will ask you to relax and they will apply lots of lubricant so it is painless I feel.

I think maybe the GP I went to is not really professional as they also only did a urine test which was similar to the home tests I took. =_=" . And the advice given is, visit a gynae to confirm whether the pregnancy is viable as urine tests are not 100% accurate and it could be a false positive. Wasted 30+ bucks for the GP lol

Went for 2nd visit today and baby is growing good..

Is Oscar test really necessary? Gynae told me its not compulsory to do it..i think its better to do it but The test only costs $350 very pricy

roudx

usually they do vaginal scan if they are unable to scan from ur stomach as ur foetus still very small.

@dearie, i didnt go for oscar scan. gynae said usually young people have very slim chances. As long as ur parents or related don have down syndrome , should be ok . But some people go for it for a peace of mind.

junebug86

Deariejojo, I went for the oscar to have a peace of mind, it Is not compulsory but I just use that as a chance to see baby on ultrasound as well.

Hi all,
I was advised to go another level to do Oscar and blood test and sscanning then see gynae
will there be another ultrascan?

Eleanor

I went to a random gynae for my first check..it was a male gynae...he couldn't see the sac through the abdominal scan, so he suggested going through below..but I didn't want...so end up waste the consultation and scanning costs..lol
now i'm looking for a female gynae...cos I don't think i'll be comfortable with a male...
Any recommendations?

junebug86

@deariejojo, sorry I'm not sure about that as my gynae appt is a few days after the oscar scan. So I had another ultrasound at my gynae's clinic. Maybe you can check with your gynae to see if he will give you another U/S if you are on a package with him?

junebug86

@Eleanor, my gynae is a female but her clinic is in Katong. She delivers in TMC and Mt Alvernia. Her name is Dr Geraldine Tan and she is quite nice

I went to a random gynae for my first check..it was a male gynae...he couldn't see the sac through the abdominal scan, so he suggested going through below..but I didn't want...so end up waste the consultation and scanning costs..lol
now i'm looking for a female gynae...cos I don't think i'll be comfortable with a male...
Any recommendations?
Vaginal scan is only for first scan..

Gabrielle86

Eleanor:808327 said:
Any recommendations?
Im seeing dr marianne at TMC. She's nice.

liyin

Congrats all mummies!
I am in my 9th week today yaay by the time I hit my next gynae appt on 10/8/2013, I will be officially into my 2nd trimester..

Eleanor

I've shortlisted 3 gynaes...Jocelyn Wong (TMC), W K Tan (TMC), Irene Chua (Gleneagles)...I'm thinking if I should go for consultation for all 3 of them so that I can decide whom I'm most comfortable with?? But it's gona be sooo costly! Anyone who's had experience with them can advise ? But for Dr Irene Chua, she can deliver at either MA, GlenE, TMC or ME..Also, In terms of hospital, which is better?

Im seeing dr chua yang (a clinic for women). Her clinic is at bukit timah. She delivers at mt A and gleneagles. Else theres another female gynae at clementi central. GynaeMD or something like that.

Dr chua yang is very good and patient. I highly recommend her!

liyin

Eleanor:808327 said:
Any recommendations?
Im seeing dr marianne at TMC. She's nice.
I am seeing dr choo wan long glen E she is very patient gentle and nice

Eleanor

I went to see dr jocelyn wong for my first consultation..as she doesnt have package, I feel shes quite expensive but no doubt she is a very nice and assuring doctor. Hence im thinking of switching to another doc as her fees are quite high..

pearl87

Hi there! Congratulations! Right now, what you need to do is take good care of yourself. Regularly visit your OB and take your vitamins as prescribed. Maintain your healthy lifestyle and have enough rest. Also do some exercises for pregnancy to prepare yourself physically for labor and delivery. And of course, just enjoy your pregnancy.

HellooBaby

Congratulations! :)
Have to be watchful of the food you eat and exercise more.
I think can check out New Age Pregnancy, they have week to week pregnancy guide to help you cope as a new mum.
A lot of resources on the page as well. :)

Taking good care of your body and health means taking care of your baby! Enjoy! :)

ApplePoon

Hi! I'm currently at 7 weeks with my first bundle of joy, looking forward to catch up with you mummies!

Last edited: