Fish and Chinese Spinach Porridge

Mum2Matty

Prepare a portion of plain rice porridge.
While the porridge is cooking, prepare the fish and vegetables.
Wash and pat dry the fish fillet thoroughly and slice the fish finely.
Clean, wash and drain the Chinese spinach. Chop vegetables finely.
When the plain porridge is ready, add the chopped spinach and leave to cook for 5 mins.
Now stir in the fish fillet and leave to cook for another 2 mins. Stir the porridge well so that the fish is broken up.
Cool the porridge till it is lukewarm and feed the baby an amount suitable to the child's age and appetite.

crystal79

Prepare a portion of plain rice porridge.
While the porridge is cooking, prepare the fish and vegetables.
Wash and pat dry the fish fillet thoroughly and slice the fish finely.
Clean, wash and drain the Chinese spinach. Chop vegetables finely.
When the plain porridge is ready, add the chopped spinach and leave to cook for 5 mins.
Now stir in the fish fillet and leave to cook for another 2 mins. Stir the porridge well so that the fish is broken up.
Cool the porridge till it is lukewarm and feed the baby an amount suitable to the child's age and appetite.
Hi Mum2Matty,

Need to put in any light soya sauce and ma you in the porridge?? Will it be tasteless if din add any sauce in the porridge??

autumn82

Hi Mum2Matty,

Need to put in any light soya sauce and ma you in the porridge?? Will it be tasteless if din add any sauce in the porridge??
:err: How old is yr child? Any seasoning such as salt, soya sauce or chilli, oil shldn't be given to children under 1 yr old. It is a known fact that too much sodium found in salt and soy sauce can be difficult for baby's immature kidneys to handle.

crystal79

:err: How old is yr child? Any seasoning such as salt, soya sauce or chilli, oil shldn't be given to children under 1 yr old. It is a known fact that too much sodium found in salt and soy sauce can be difficult for baby's immature kidneys to handle.
My daughter is 9mths now... so wat abt using the stock to cook the porridge and add favour on it?? Wat stock should i use???

snowbear

Hw to make the stock??? not very sure ...heehee... coz i not very good in cooking .
u can use apples, corn, celery, carrots (after 8 months due to nitrates issue) for veg stock. I've experimented around and my dd loves the stock i make with apples and corn. Some babies may be allergic to corn so u try 1 time and see how first. You can put as much veg and fruit as u like. Now i use 4 small apples and 2 corn cobs in a big soup pot and simmer for abt 2hrs.

For chicken/pork stock, it's better if u intro the meat to bb first coz bb may find the smell and taste of the stock made with the meat too strong. After bb has accepted the meat then u can start making stock with meat. For the first time when u intro meat, puree it with water rather than the water in which u cooked the meat in. This will help bb accept it better.

crystal79

you can use apples, corn, celery, carrots (after 8 months due to nitrates issue) for veg stock. I've experimented around and my dear daughter loves the stock i make with apples and corn. Some babies may be allergic to corn so you try 1 time and see how first. You can put as much veg and fruit as you like. Now i use 4 small apples and 2 corn cobs in a big soup pot and simmer for about 2hrs.

For chicken/pork stock, it's better if you intro the meat to baby first coz baby may find the smell and taste of the stock made with the meat too strong. After baby has accepted the meat then you can start making stock with meat. For the first time when you intro meat, puree it with water rather than the water in which you cooked the meat in. This will help baby accept it better.
When i intro meat to my daughter for the first time... i din pureed it. I just bought the minced chicken from NTUC ... then i cook it with the porridge ... my daughter got eat leh....i haven intro pork to her coz i scare of H1N1...hahaha :tlaugh: But isit ok that i do like this??

snowbear

When i intro meat to my daughter for the first time... i did not pureed it. I just bought the minced chicken from NTUC ... then i cook it with the porridge ... my daughter got eat ....i have not intro pork to her coz i scare of H1N1...hahaha :tlaugh: But isit ok that i do like this??
Lucky your dd not picky...!!! :001_302: some bb cannot stand the taste and smell when u cook meat tgt with the porridge when introducing the meat for the first time. For the first time i intro the meat to her, i puree it first then let her taste a bit. If she comes back for more then i'll add into her porridge. Otherwise the whole bowl of porridge wasted! :tlaugh::tlaugh:

Anyway since she's accepted it, you can continue with what you've done. :)

annie

giving those minced chicken good meh? i thought i heard from stonston that its not good?

i give my girl chicken/fish also simply mix into her porridge n she eats them all too.. i tried using meat stock n she finish the porridge too.. she not picky at this moment ba

snowbear

giving those minced chicken good meh? i thought i heard from stonston that its not good?

i give my girl chicken/fish also simply mix into her porridge and she eats them all too.. i tried using meat stock and she finish the porridge too.. she not picky at this moment
Minced chicken is ok as long as you mince it yourself: that's what she meant :) Coz if you buy off the shelf types they may have used scraps to mince the chicken. Buy chicken fillets and mince it on your own. :)But not everyone has the time to do so...

Last edited:

annie

crsytal, i read from japanese recipe book for bb that u can freeze the chicken in parts first(portion for 1 meal) then bring out the frozen part n then grate it.. thats wat i do so far..

elmo493

Mine is abt the same but instead of cooking it, I use double boil. I suppose it is easier because you don't have to stir the porridge so often to prevent it from burning since you are only cooking a small portion.

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

You mean got to mince the chicken ourselves??? Hw?? Isit use blender only??
If you can, try to mince the chicken yourself using the blender. Or you can try buying Sakura minced chicken instead of the normal type of minced chicken. My friend says that's ok. Actually i mince the chicken myself coz that way i know which part of the chicken i used and also i can wash the meat clean before blending.

stonston

If your blender is not a heavy duty food processor, blending meat will overheat it and spoil it.

The easiest way to mince meat is to just chop it up finely and use your knife to pound on it repeatly.

crystal79

If you can, try to mince the chicken yourself using the blender. Or you can try buying Sakura minced chicken instead of the normal type of minced chicken. My friend says that's ok. Actually i mince the chicken myself coz that way i know which part of the chicken i used and also i can wash the meat clean before blending.
Hi snowbear,

So which chicken parts should i buy to mince the chicken?? btw where to buy Sakura minced chicken?? :001_302:

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

So which chicken parts should i buy to mince the chicken?? btw where to buy Sakura minced chicken?? :001_302:
Got this from www.wholesomebabyfood.com:
The light meat of both turkey and chicken, such as the breast, is considered higher in protein and lower in fat. The darker meat of chicken and turkey, such as thighs and legs, is higher in iron and higher in fat. It might be a good idea to offer your baby the darker meat of either turkey or chicken. The fat content makes this meat easy to puree into a relatively smooth texture; the higher iron makes this portion of the turkey and chicken an excellent choice.

I also buy the fillet coz it's very tender...