flying with ur precious EBM!!

andieluv2

hi all mommies,

i have a burning issue that i need advice here.

i juz deliver my baby and she is 11wks now i have low supply now as i pump abt 80-100mls per 4hrs. currently i am doing exclusive pumping with latxhing 1-2x per day.

i plan to BF as long as possible but i have to attend a conference in malaysia (KL) in oct. will be taking air asia. may i know izzit allowed for me to bring my ebm bck as i dun wanna juz pour my precious ebm away. i know that we are allowed to bring 10 cobtainer of 100mls of liquid on board. but i was wondering can i store them in bm storage bags.instead of bottles to save space. so i could squeeze the packages in 1-2 medela cooler bag.

kindly advise if u have similar experiences. TIA.

Rye

My colleague had to fly to MY as well while still BF. she pumped at clients office n brought back in checked in luggage. Its he medela pump n bag. Bottle is better if check in. Hv to make sure it is secure n tight. Dun think they allow it on board when your baby is not with u. Why not consult your company's travel agent?

felicity

I haven't flew myself but i have come across similar threads so hope this helps:
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f72/help-going-travel-without-baby-83858/

Hi andieluv2,
Look out for thread created by Jode. She has something great to share on bringing ebm back while traveling. I would like to do that in oct when I go china but I don think I can make it as I am going with tour n would be changing hotel. Haiz....... I also have low supply from 20ml during confinement mth. Now manage to pump averagely 120ml 3 hrly. Looks like I have to pour it away.

lyra

Should be possible to fly it back. Call the airline to check and to inform them. My friend transported hers on plane in milk bags.

Jode

hi
the max liquid amount is NOT applicable to breastmilk. which means, you can carry breastmilk of more than 100ml in a bottle on board the plane.
TSA: Important Information on Traveling With Formula, Breast Milk, and Juice
so, yes, you can pack your bm into storage bags and carry on board.
you may want to print out the page on the TSA website, in case you get challenged.
also, be prepared to show them or explain to the staff if you get checked. i was asked to empty the contents in my bag and let them check. i had the cooling gel, breast pump and its parts in my bag. had to explain to them that i am still bf-ing and i need these as bb is not with me. was ready to whip out my phone and show them my bb's pics. but they were ok after i explained.
good luck!

andieluv2

Jode:688921 said:
hi
the max liquid amount is NOT applicable to breastmilk. which means, you can carry breastmilk of more than 100ml in a bottle on board the plane.
TSA: Important Information on Traveling With Formula, Breast Milk, and Juice
so, yes, you can pack your bm into storage bags and carry on board.
you may want to print out the page on the TSA website, in case you get challenged.
also, be prepared to show them or explain to the staff if you get checked. i was asked to empty the contents in my bag and let them check. i had the cooling gel, breast pump and its parts in my bag. had to explain to them that i am still bf-ing and i need these as bb is not with me. was ready to whip out my phone and show them my bb's pics. but they were ok after i explained.
good luck!
Oh.i went to check with changi airport the.other day. They say its.malaysia that makes the.drcision whether i can bring on.board.or i.must check in. Anyway, i am callibg the airline ti find out. Btw, this.website is not from singapore izzit?

Jode

Hey andieluv2,
did you get any answers from the airline?
this TSA website is not from Singapore. its the international website that governs all the international flights.

andieluv2

Jode:689931 said:
Hey andieluv2,
did you get any answers from the airline?
this TSA website is not from Singapore. its the international website that governs all the international flights.
Yea i.called.changi.airport.but they.say is the departing airport that makes.the.call which is.KLIA liao.. But according to changi if baby.not.on board, then restriction couldbt be.lifted. So.guess i.will need to check in with dry ice than. Buy will test.how long it can stay.freeze.in frozen state prior to actual trip. Thankz!!

Jode

I see. Ok. Good luck then.
If you are using dry ice, do ensure that the container in which you have the dry ice and frozen ebm in is not completely sealed. I read somewhere that due to the air pressure and if there is no where for the dry ice 'smoke' to escape, it may implode/explode (cannot remember its which).

andieluv2

Jode:690860 said:
I see. Ok. Good luck then.
If you are using dry ice, do ensure that the container in which you have the dry ice and frozen ebm in is not completely sealed. I read somewhere that due to the air pressure and if there is no where for the dry ice 'smoke' to escape, it may implode/explode (cannot remember its which).
Wah!!!.really??!! i am planning to.juz put it in a ziplock bag and inside a.water-prove fannel. Maybe i dun.seal the ziplock completely to prevent "explodsion" lol... thankz for.the advice.