Food Guide: The best of Canberra

Canberra is a relatively new estate that remains unfamiliar to those not living in the area. While the opening of Canberra Plaza caused some fanfare, it’s not the only place you can hunker down for a good bite. Here are some hidden gems worth checking out if you are in Canberra.

1. Flying Wok

Yong Li Coffee Station, 105 Canberra Street

Flying Wok is a humble zichar stall that serves up local delights such as chilli crab, curry fish head and hotplate stingray. However, the Halal-certified shop is best known for its Jumbo Mama Wok: Instant noodles tossed in tom yum soup alongside prawns, clams, meatballs and chicken cutlet.

With the generous assortment of meat and seafood in a mouthwatering broth, you can look forward to one gratifying meal. The distinctive dish comes in three sizes ($13 for 1 pax, $22 for 2-3 pax, $49.90 for 8-10 pax) — perfect for both small and large groups.

2. Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji

105 Canberra Street

Looking for a more traditional zichar? Hong Kong Street Zhen Ji is located just next door. Whether you are dining alone or in a big group, the restaurant’s extensive menu will leave you spoilt for choice. Prices start from $5.20 for delectable dishes such as mee goreng and dry fried hor fun.

If you are up for something different, try the Ginger Onion Deer Meat Rice ($8). Zhen Ji’s star item, however, is the Assam Fish Head ($14.80). The sauce is aromatic and flavourful without being too overwhelming, thus allowing one to properly savour the fish's freshness.

A lot more at https://tinyurl.com/x4vfmrk

Lyayozoce

Thank you for recommending these restaurants. My husband is Japanese, so he really likes ramen, do you know if you can find ramen in such establishments or not?

BarbraIss

I have always liked China for its design and culture. Visiting China is probably my biggest dream. I know a lot about China, but I don't know anything about Chinese food at all. In general, I am very picky about any food, so I don't know if I should visit Chinese restaurants at all? It's probably very stupid to just miss the opportunity to taste traditional Chinese food. Although I probably don't have to go to a restaurant to fully study the Chinese Food Industry. In any case, can you advise what a person like me should first try in Chinese restaurants? I will be very grateful in advance!

Last edited:

AndrewStennis

Spanish cuisine is one of the most diverse in the world, and Spaniards love to cook, dine in great company, and talk a lot about food. My favorite dish is Galicia. It boasts beautiful seafood, sea scallops, Vieira a la gallega, sauteed with onions, ham, parsley herbs, spices, and a dash of brandy. Everything is placed on the bottom of the shell, sprinkled with crumbled bread and parsley, and baked in the oven. The last time I tried, it was at tapatoro.restaurant. They make very good Spanish food there.