food poisoning.

Ting

hi mummies,

my girl is starting on solids le..so like, do baby get food poisoning??? like maybe the food nt clean or wad they consumed it...how would we know if they got food poisoning?? any mummies hv this experience b4?

TIA:wong19:

maine78

ting, u mean food allergy izzit? For me, when ds 1st start solid, i let him try 1 new food at a time so that i can noe if he has allergy to tat particular food. Eg, i give mashed carrots then next day i give pork porriage. If he's okie, then i'll give carrot+pork porriage. Also hv to use fresh ingredients for their food. If the pork is oredi in the freezer for >3days, then i wun use it, i've to buy fresh one.

Mum2Matty

If you are testing for food allergies, you should observe the 4 day rule. Introduce ONE new food and observe for 4 days, no allergy, introduce another new food, and so on. How do you know if your baby is allergic to certain food? There maybe an obvious rash around the mouth, or body or swell. For more information, try to google of baby food allergies.

If you are referring to food posioning like lao sai, I would say it may happen. Take special care when you are handling raw food before cooking. Or if you are freezing any food, make sure the icecube tray is clean. Put a sticker, write a date when did you make this batch of frozen food so that you do not leave them in the freezer for too long. This is just one example. Food drop on the floor and it's dirty, do not pick it up to eat again.

Hope this helps.

Mum2Matty

actually for meat how old then can start to take?
it's best around 8/9 months because we are introducing solids in a step by step way e.g. below (this is just a rough guide). Also meat are harder to digest, so do not hv to rush into it as the first food to introduce.

6 mths - cereals , puree veg (different type to introduce one at a time)

7 mths - increase abit of texture for the above food

8 mths - introduce fish and/or porridge

9 mths - introduce pork (put in some cornstarch to soften it, easier to swallow)

maine78

i put pork in the porriage so that the porriage will taste better. Nv let ds eat the pork. Thanks mum2matty for yr info, at least now i noe when to let ds try the pork...

Agnes Josephine

then start frm how many meals of solid foods per day?

I think for a start one meal per day... As in another 2 more weeks, I will start my ds on solid when he reach the 6 month mark... I will give the morning feed solid... then maybe few weeks down the road, increase to 2 x a day... then slowly increase as time goes by... I don't know whether this is correct? can someone enlighten me if I'm wrong?

thanks. :tsmile:

bpquek

I think for a start one meal per day... As in another 2 more weeks, I will start my ds on solid when he reach the 6 month mark... I will give the morning feed solid... then maybe few weeks down the road, increase to 2 x a day... then slowly increase as time goes by... I don't know whether this is correct? can someone enlighten me if I'm wrong?

thanks. :tsmile:
Hi

I started to feed my ds 1 meal of cereal in the morning when he was 4th mth. Then a meal of porridge in the afternoon on his 6th mth, then 2x a day when he was 7-8th mth.

My ds schedule:
6am - 210ml milk
10-11am - 1 bowl of porridge
2pm - 120-150ml milk
4-5pm - 1 bowl of porridge
8pm - 210ml milk
2am - 210milk

Ting

i gave dd carrot n potatoe n minced pork n salmon fish in her porridge..wahaha..very fung fu rite...but huh, PD advised no fish til 1 yr old lor..will be better.

Ting

ting, u mean food allergy izzit? For me, when ds 1st start solid, i let him try 1 new food at a time so that i can noe if he has allergy to tat particular food. Eg, i give mashed carrots then next day i give pork porriage. If he's okie, then i'll give carrot+pork porriage. Also hv to use fresh ingredients for their food. If the pork is oredi in the freezer for >3days, then i wun use it, i've to buy fresh one.

i knwo the 4 day rule..but like say, wad if u guys accidentally raw with cooked food or something?

LoVeS

i gave dd carrot n potatoe n minced pork n salmon fish in her porridge..wahaha..very fung fu rite...but huh, PD advised no fish til 1 yr old lor..will be better.
no fish? Not even cod fish ah?

Mum2Matty

then start frm how many meals of solid foods per day?
I introduced semi-solids at 6mths old with one meal a day (lunch) for 2 weeks, then I increase to 2 meal a day (lunch & dinner).. this is just me. U gotta take lead from your baby to see how he/she is taking the solids.

Some baby take longer time to get use to solids. So there's no hurry.

From 10mths onwards, I m already feeding him 3 meals a day i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Mum2Matty

Actually it's fine to give fish from 9/10mths onwards, again you hv to gauge how your baby is taking on the solids.

For me I'll rather give fish as an introduction to "meat" as compared to pork or chicken. I usually give threadfin or fresh silver fish. COD fish once in a while. Then I introduce salmon after he's use to the above fishes.

No offence to PD's expertise, but I do not follow everything doctor says. I'll based on my observation and research. Unless of course if baby is supersensitive and prone to allergies.

Ting

i understand..pin is fine when i gv salmon..but nvm la, just listen lor. no harm.. he say just give meat first...

stonston

babies do get food poisoning n when they do, it is always more serious than adults bcos they cannot fight it off due to their weaker immune system....

always ensure foods r thorughly cooked n allowed to cool in a clean place....
for example u freeze foods, when u reheat, u must heat until it is piping hot, then can leave in e steamer to allow to cool before serving...dun heat up until temp jus nice then serve immediately...during storage will have bacteria growth n steam until piping hot will ensure tt bacteria is killed off....

re: how many meals per day
this realli depends on individual babies...
my boi started solids early at 4mths plus with 1-2 tsp of puree/cereal onli...so by e time he was 6mths, we r already giving him 3 meals a day, like normal adult....jus e portion is smaller....
then now we slowly increase his portions n introduce some finger foods as snacks in between...

he still has milk feeds in between (every 2-3 hrs)...

for my boi i had to increase portions bcos he is refusing milk....but he is ok with food, so e onli way to give him more nutrients is give more food (but we sneakily mixed milk into his food :p)....

typically:
6mths - 1-5 tbsp of bb food per day, slowly increase fm 1-2 tsp
7mths - 4-6 tbsp of bb food per meal, 2 meals a day, can give some light biscuits as snack occasionally
8mths - 6-9 tbsp of bb food per meal, 3 meals a day, can give some light biscuits as snack occasionally
9mths - portion increase slightly from 8mths, add finger foods between meals

tbsp is bigger than our normal dinner spoon...more similar to 1 chinese spoon (heaped)....

finger foods can be teething biscuits, some carrot sticks, etc etc...small items tt bb can pick up n eat on their own...it is to allow them to develop their pincer hold (use index finger n thumb to hold object)....can be soft fruits like banana, papaya or avocado also....cut into small cubes ard 1-2cm....

LoVeS

babies do get food poisoning n when they do, it is always more serious than adults bcos they cannot fight it off due to their weaker immune system....

always ensure foods r thorughly cooked n allowed to cool in a clean place....
for example u freeze foods, when u reheat, u must heat until it is piping hot, then can leave in e steamer to allow to cool before serving...dun heat up until temp jus nice then serve immediately...during storage will have bacteria growth n steam until piping hot will ensure tt bacteria is killed off....

re: how many meals per day
this realli depends on individual babies...
my boi started solids early at 4mths plus with 1-2 tsp of puree/cereal onli...so by e time he was 6mths, we r already giving him 3 meals a day, like normal adult....jus e portion is smaller....
then now we slowly increase his portions n introduce some finger foods as snacks in between...

he still has milk feeds in between (every 2-3 hrs)...

for my boi i had to increase portions bcos he is refusing milk....but he is ok with food, so e onli way to give him more nutrients is give more food (but we sneakily mixed milk into his food :p)....

typically:
6mths - 1-5 tbsp of bb food per day, slowly increase fm 1-2 tsp
7mths - 4-6 tbsp of bb food per meal, 2 meals a day, can give some light biscuits as snack occasionally
8mths - 6-9 tbsp of bb food per meal, 3 meals a day, can give some light biscuits as snack occasionally
9mths - portion increase slightly from 8mths, add finger foods between meals

tbsp is bigger than our normal dinner spoon...more similar to 1 chinese spoon (heaped)....

finger foods can be teething biscuits, some carrot sticks, etc etc...small items tt bb can pick up n eat on their own...it is to allow them to develop their pincer hold (use index finger n thumb to hold object)....can be soft fruits like banana, papaya or avocado also....cut into small cubes ard 1-2cm....
how we knw when to increase the number of meals ?

stonston

loves, when u see ur bb wanting more when already finished e portion u prepared....or when bb suddenly start nursing alot/drinking alot of milk....or wake up often in middle of e night for milk....