Food to avoid while breast feeding

ast0212

Yes bf mummies can take all those as any bacteria present isn't transfered through milk.
Alcohol is fine as well, but best to drink after a feed or more than an hour before so that by the time your baby feeds the alcohol should be out of your system (dependent on your size though).. still, there is nothing to say that bf mums should abstain from alcohol and other foods unless your baby has an allergic reaction to the food you eat.

verieying

Yes bf mummies can take all those as any bacteria present isn't transfered through milk.
Alcohol is fine as well, but best to drink after a feed or more than an hour before so that by the time your baby feeds the alcohol should be out of your system (dependent on your size though).. still, there is nothing to say that bf mums should abstain from alcohol and other foods unless your baby has an allergic reaction to the food you eat.
hi ast0212 thanks a lot for the prompt reply! great to hear I can eat sashimi! happy happy ;)

Alisa

Direct latching is the best and most effective way to increase supply. Your breasts are refilled about half an hour after baby empties them (the rest of the time milk is just stored) so you can try offering top-up feeds half an hour after a feed. Or you can try offering more feeds throughout the day, your breasts will make more milk that way.

For foods to increase supply I found oats very effective. A bowl of oat porridge every morning helps :) There's also brewer's yeast and linseed/flax meal. They might not work for everyone though because every body is different :)
i took oat porridge every morning ever since i delivered but didnt know it can helps in breastmilk!

mommysnake

Oh my goodness, i took almost everything that were mentioned here like half-boiled eggs,onions and my fav sashimi,etc..i started bfeeding since day1 and the only thing i avoid is oral medication and alcohol.i learn something new today.:)

ast0212

I love to read Kelly Mom! But I hate oats. Someone bought a tin for me during my pregnancy but I only ate a bowl of oats so far. I eat cereal with fresh milk and hot milo.
Another way to take oats if you want to eat them is to bake with them - cookies, muffins, cakes :p I've heard of people baking lactation cookies to boost their milk supply.. I usually make lactation muffins instead because it's healthier.

sharont

Hi mummies, I had all kinds of food, baby is doing fine for the last 6 months. :)

However, after watching documentary last night on channel U, it reported that some villagers in Phillipines passed the poison thru bf to their babies after consuming the sea turtles they caught. 2 babies died...the adults went sick... Apparently those turtles eat certain kind of corals that contains poison and it'll be kept in their fats...so after watching this, I thought I should avoid sashimi since they are from the big ocean...

Anyway that's my own theory, just want to be safe than sorry.

ast0212

Food poisoning tends stay in the gastrointestinal tract so it will not pass to baby through breastmilk... however, in very rare cases it can get into the blood stream and maybe that's what happened to the poisoned turtles? I would think sashimi is safe and if there is bacteria in it, it will not pass to baby.

Things like excessive alcohol in your blood can effect baby and sadly can be fatal. A little standard drink is fine, but not excessive drinking.

esta_837

Why do Chinese still make & drink those alcoholic herbal tonic (e.g. home-made herbal glutinous rice wine, DOM, etc) during confinement?

My mother-in-law made a lot of those wine putting herbs in them but I was unable to drink ANY after my 1st child was born due to heatiness, and I was also feeling SO hot and perspiring a lot while breastfeeding, I just could not make myself drink any. I also didn't want to drink any because I wasn't sure it was ok to drink alcohol while breastfeeding. I also dont't tolerate alcohol well and afraid I had to sleep when baby needed attention.

Do you all drink those herbal alcoholic remedies???

I suspect as breastmilk is made and stored in the breast, it would still have traces of alcohol remaining even a few hours after? And a newborn does need frequent feeding every 3 hours or less. I'm confused about drinking those alcoholic remedies.

lag

hmm baby is now 2 mth old..i am still breastfeeding but i didnt avoid any food in particular.. Just eat normally..

Regarding to DOM.. i just make sure i drink it AFTER feeding my bb..

PinkDiamonds

I think every baby is unique, so there may be certain food that irritates your baby, which may not apply to others. I would say keep a keen eye to see if baby's behavior has changed (eg: suddenly very cranky or fussy). I did not really avoid particular food while breastfeeding but 2 of my kids developed an allergy to egg. Whenever I ate egg they will get an allergy reaction. But this may not apply to everyone!

ast0212

Why do Chinese still make & drink those alcoholic herbal tonic (e.g. home-made herbal glutinous rice wine, DOM, etc) during confinement?

My mother-in-law made a lot of those wine putting herbs in them but I was unable to drink ANY after my 1st child was born due to heatiness, and I was also feeling SO hot and perspiring a lot while breastfeeding, I just could not make myself drink any. I also didn't want to drink any because I wasn't sure it was ok to drink alcohol while breastfeeding. I also dont't tolerate alcohol well and afraid I had to sleep when baby needed attention.

Do you all drink those herbal alcoholic remedies???

I suspect as breastmilk is made and stored in the breast, it would still have traces of alcohol remaining even a few hours after? And a newborn does need frequent feeding every 3 hours or less. I'm confused about drinking those alcoholic remedies.
If drinking DOM or anything with alcohol (uncooked), best to drink it straight after feeding baby... it takes approx 1 hr for alcohol to be out of your blood system and milk, but depends on your build as well...however with a newborn it's really hard to tell when the next feed will be! These are just guidelines but you'll know your baby and your body best :) As a midwife put it, giving baby breastmilk with a tiny trace of alcohol is better than not giving baby breastmilk at all.

bingbing

Pls advice if we can take ginger, cordycep , ginseng, chinese herb during breast feeding. i am in dilemma if i should BF or i should just let bb take formula milk . bf is a very tiring process, this is going to me my 3rd confinement and somehow i feel like taking good rest and also eat all the herbal/tonic to built up my health.

karynn

Hi bf mummies . I just had stingray and lala . Isit okay to bf or i have to pump and throw it away ? But i did not eat much .