Formula Milk Powder or Fresh Milk More Nutritious?

autumn82

Hi all,

Recently, my gal has been trying out fresh milk and she loves it. All along she has been taking Enfakid then my mil commented that fresh milk not as nutritious as powder milk. So wanna know how many mummies stop milk powder for your kids when they turn 5yrs and above?

For myself, I rem I drank fresh milk and milo when I was that age... :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

CanCanMum

baObei~~

if we are talking about fresh milk its definitely good

fresh milk meaning those with expiry dates of less than one week.

Those with added preservatives expires longer and are not so good

I gave Baber Fresh Milk on and off....and he likes it but so far still prefers his milk bottle :wong19:

when i was this age was drinking kopi-O from hot water flask lols~~~my Ahh mah's secret ingredient lols~~~~

autumn82

baObei~~

if we are talking about fresh milk its definitely good

fresh milk meaning those with expiry dates of less than one week.

Those with added preservatives expires longer and are not so good

I gave Baber Fresh Milk on and off....and he likes it but so far still prefers his milk bottle :wong19:

when i was this age was drinking kopi-O from hot water flask lols~~~my Ahh mah's secret ingredient lols~~~~
Hmm.. I'm giving her Meiji Fresh Milk.. She doesn't like HL nor Macnolia unless chocolate/strawberry flavoured. :tlaugh:

Ting

i love meiji too~
yummmmmy!!
hmm, so far pin only drinking FM, haven introduced Fresh milk yet.
but i think FM is better? cos more nutrients specially for kids.
but i see pin's class mate,is a ang moh, he is arnd pin's age n his younger bro is in infant care, both alr started to drink fresh milk.
every morning i see their dad give them one small bottle each.

stonston

In terms of nutrition, fresh milk will always be better. It's straight from the animal, only pastuerised to preserve it.

Formula milk is made from different ingredients which is hard for us to totally imitate the goodness of whole milk :)

I'm mixing fresh milk & FM for my boy cos he does not seem to like the taste very much (we bought Meiji).

autumn82

In terms of nutrition, fresh milk will always be better. It's straight from the animal, only pastuerised to preserve it.

Formula milk is made from different ingredients which is hard for us to totally imitate the goodness of whole milk :)

I'm mixing fresh milk & FM for my boy cos he does not seem to like the taste very much (we bought Meiji).
Wow! Seems like alot of mums are drinking Meiji... Haha. I thought I was the only kuku who would buy that brand.. :x

So fresh milk is better.. So I can stop Belle completely then.. :p Wahahahah. Cheaper than her formula.. Geez.. Mead & Johnson is super rich from selling all those Enfa series.. :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:

matka

My son is 1.5 years old and I'm breastfeeding him. But I also give him fresh milk. He's never tried formula milk at all.

I get my nutritional advice from my husband (lol) who says that the kid now will get his nutrition from the food he eats, and not so much formula milk. It makes sense I guess. Of course the formula milk companies will say that all the added DHA is essential, etc... but as long as we're feeding them well, I think fresh milk is good enough :)

autumn82

might start giving pin fresh milk then~ :)
I read up alittle on it and realised yes, ppl do give babies fresh milk once they turn 1 yr old... But I was wondering, do u warm up the milk? Or drink cold from fridge?

I drank cold straight from fridge during my time.. But then, my pils were "fussing" abt it coz early morn and late in the nite drink so cold drinks.. I was like.. Oh god, give me a break, fresh milk warm oredi nice?! ....... :x

autumn82

Stonston~~~

U are mixing FM and fresh milk for your boy now? As if few feeds of each or mixed both together?? Do u give your boy drink fresh milk cold? I was dinking of letting Iggy take freshmilk too... :p

stonston

Now he get cold fresh milk on hot days (nvr mix with FM). Normal days he get warmed fresh milk mixed with FM. But the cold fresh milk is not very cold, we leave it outside for around 5min before giving him so that it's not too cold.

autumn82

Now he get cold fresh milk on hot days (never mix with FM). Normal days he get warmed fresh milk mixed with FM. But the cold fresh milk is not very cold, we leave it outside for around 5min before giving him so that it's not too cold.
U just warmed the Meiji fresh milk over the stove?? I see... When did u start your boy on fresh milk?? I was thinking of 1.5yrs..

CanCanMum

you just warmed the Meiji fresh milk over the stove?? I see... When did you start your boy on fresh milk?? I was thinking of 1.5yrs..
baObei

last time i gave Baber was to pour the Meiji Fresh milk into his usual milk bottle and then put inside another bigger container with hot water inside

only warm no need to boil

stonston

baObei

last time i gave Baber was to pour the Meiji Fresh milk into his usual milk bottle and then put inside another bigger container with hot water inside

only warm no need to boil
Yup, this is what we do. Boiling the milk will cause it to lose nutrients.

Another method my aunt used to do is microwave it. Cos my cousins very impatient & they want their milk FAST. So my aunt put half cup in microwave (it'll be boiling hot) then add another half cup of cold milk to make it warm :)

MommyK

hmmm, I'm not sure if anyone still reads this thread.

In Australia, healthcare professionals reccomend babies to make the switch from breast/formula milk to fresh milk from 12 months onwards. In their opinion, formulas are commercial gimmicks and fresh is definitely not lacking in anyway than their formula counterparts.

But in asia, I can certainly see why parents give formula. Price and convenience are no doubt the top reasons.

I am heading back to Sg (in melb at moment) and if fresh milk is too expensive I may even consider giving him formula while on our trip back.

CocoaBear

In Australia, healthcare professionals reccomend babies to make the switch from breast/formula milk to fresh milk from 12 months onwards. In their opinion, formulas are commercial gimmicks and fresh is definitely not lacking in anyway than their formula counterparts.

But in asia, I can certainly see why parents give formula. Price and convenience are no doubt the top reasons.

I am heading back to Sg (in melb at moment) and if fresh milk is too expensive I may even consider giving him formula while on our trip back.
We still give formula for the DHA and other nutrition for growth.

meiteoh

We still give formula for the DHA and other nutrition for growth.
If the vitamins and minerals plus DHA that you pay for in formula is not easily absorbed, you'd be paying for nothing as it would be flushed out from the body. Also, I remember checking the contents of one formula brand and found that these vitamins and minerals are less than 2% of the total ingredients. The main ingredients are corn starch derivatives, sugar and milk solids/skim milk - in that order. So you're paying through your nose for pretty much nothing actually. I can use the money to spend on other foods like fresh fish for DHA and etc.

In overseas countries, formula milk is for infants - in other words, babies BELOW 12 months. After your baby reaches his/her first birthday, parents are encouraged and expected to start toddlers on family foods (basically food that we adults eat) and focus less on milk. Too much is bad and there are other calcium rich foods like yogurt, cheese, or dairy-based products. Children who drink too much milk can suffer from iron deficiency which can lead to FTT - Failure To Thrive.

Here is my calculation - I did this in July 2010 when I was discussing this with a bunch of other mummies:

2L of fresh milk here in SG costs $4 and that equals to about 22.2 servings of 90ml of milk, which is about 18 cents per serving.

One 900 gm of FM is $25 and 3 scoops (estimate 35 gm; don't have tin with me at the office so cannot tell) would give me 90ml and that equals to about 25 servings, which is about $1 per serving.

This calculation is not confirmed tho - need to check on the exact price of formula and fresh milk to be 100% sure. Frequency of their feed doesn't matter. It is the cost of the serving itself that counts.