Free & easy in Perth

JJDad

anyone went to Perth with kids free and easy? can share ur itinerary or places and accomodation that u tried? Thanks.

Ting

i went to perth F&E in 2009, but without my daughter.
for hotel, i stayed in Travelodge hotel, its a 4 star hotel, but i think if compared to SG, its more to 3 star standard. but the room is pretty big and clean, so quite comfy. its in perth city and about a 5-7 mins walk to the city centre, so quite convenient.
as for places to go, i went to harbourtown for shopping (outlet shops), frementle market and caversham wildlife park.
it was a 4D3N short weekend trip, so didnt cover much places. i might be gg again this yr, and would bring my girl along, so might cover more places though, like AQWA, its like a underwater world. :)

when are you going? i went in sept, its a good weather, cooling but quite a lot of strong winds. but i love it!

JJDad

i went to perth F&E in 2009, but without my daughter.
for hotel, i stayed in Travelodge hotel, its a 4 star hotel, but i think if compared to SG, its more to 3 star standard. but the room is pretty big and clean, so quite comfy. its in perth city and about a 5-7 mins walk to the city centre, so quite convenient.
as for places to go, i went to harbourtown for shopping (outlet shops), frementle market and caversham wildlife park.
it was a 4D3N short weekend trip, so didnt cover much places. i might be gg again this yr, and would bring my girl along, so might cover more places though, like AQWA, its like a underwater world. :)

when are you going? i went in sept, its a good weather, cooling but quite a lot of strong winds. but i love it!
thought of going after winter which is around Sept as the weather will not be so cold or hot. maybe going for 5 days 4 nights. for car ental, must we arrange it before reaching there or can be done at the airport? which car rental company is gd? I heard that Hertz is No.1 there but expensive. Avis is ranked 2nd. car rental there is quite cheap and convenient to have one so that we can drive around to visit farm n vineyards.

Ting

thought of going after winter which is around Sept as the weather will not be so cold or hot. maybe going for 5 days 4 nights. for car ental, must we arrange it before reaching there or can be done at the airport? which car rental company is gd? I heard that Hertz is No.1 there but expensive. Avis is ranked 2nd. car rental there is quite cheap and convenient to have one so that we can drive around to visit farm n vineyards.
sept is the beginning of spring over there, but temp is still cold though. iirc the time i was there, the day time is still 14-15degs, night time can go down to 10-12degs.still need to wear long sleeves and pants, esp for the kids. and the strong winds are really cold. just rmb to pack extra jackets for the kids in case they cant take the cold well.
previously i was there, we didnt rent a car cos my hubs is currently staying over in perth for his studies, so he knows the way well with buses n trains. we only took a taxi once over there to caversham wild life park. so cant help u much with car rental, but i think, it is always better to plan beforehand and make arrangements, better than last minute. not sure abt car rental companies there but i did passby one near the airport there. but i think its good to rent a car cos the taxis there are freaking expensive and it would be more convenient with kids.

JJDad

sept is the beginning of spring over there, but temp is still cold though. iirc the time i was there, the day time is still 14-15degs, night time can go down to 10-12degs.still need to wear long sleeves and pants, esp for the kids. and the strong winds are really cold. just rmb to pack extra jackets for the kids in case they cant take the cold well.
previously i was there, we didnt rent a car cos my hubs is currently staying over in perth for his studies, so he knows the way well with buses n trains. we only took a taxi once over there to caversham wild life park. so cant help u much with car rental, but i think, it is always better to plan beforehand and make arrangements, better than last minute. not sure abt car rental companies there but i did passby one near the airport there. but i think its good to rent a car cos the taxis there are freaking expensive and it would be more convenient with kids.
alright. Thanks, will take note on the weather.

diymummy

You can register for a day trip to the sand dunes. The outing includes visit to wildlife park (feed kangeroos, carry koala), lunch (not sure how old your kids are, but the lunch are like sandwiches), then sand dunes... You can get to slide down the dunes on a sand board. That was fun.

Fremantle was nice to shop around and feast on fish and chips. Their seafood was very nice. (You can reach Fremantle via a river cruise)

If you're into wine, you can also register for a trip down to Margaret river.

I went in July. It was abt 10-15 but I got by with a sweater plus fleece jacket.

gumbokins

When we went to Perth in 2009, we stayed at a friend's home so can't say much about accomodation. However, the car rental, instead of getting one from the airport, we rented from a place in the surburbs, cheaper I think, an 8 seater as there were 5 adults, 1 child and my FIL was in a wheelchair so the extra room was great. Our friend fetched us to and from the airport.

Otherwise I think it would just be best to hire from the airport, easy to pick up and return.

One place my girl enjoyed very much was Caversham Wildlife Park. Of course we went in summer so it was nice and warm (but still quite cold at night) so it was lovely to go outdoors for a walk. Not sure how it is like in winter. There is also this Margaret River Chocolate Factory, lots of free samples to much on (LOL) and their chocolates are yummy.

Fremantle for seafood, and can do your shopping at Harbourtown, lots of outlets there.

Last edited:

lekdao

Pls dun forget the baby/child car seat if you intend to rent a car. They hv implemented the baby/child car seat rule in year 2010.

I can check wif my hubby which car rental company and hotel is cheap if you need the information, he is going to perth in Sept too.

JJDad

Pls dun forget the baby/child car seat if you intend to rent a car. They hv implemented the baby/child car seat rule in year 2010.

I can check wif my hubby which car rental company and hotel is cheap if you need the information, he is going to perth in Sept too.
That will be great! Thx in advance!

lekdao

Hi,

You can go to bayswater car rental, they are locate in the town.
However, my hubby suggested its better for you to rent car from the airport if there is no one fetch and send you to the aiport. This is because to take a taxi from airport to town is abt A$40-A$50 per trip, to & fro is A$80-A$100.

estimate car rental in air port A$45/day (43 x 5) = A$215
estimate car rental in town A$25 per day (25 x 5) = A$125
The difference is A$90 (equivelent to the taxi fare).

And also you hv to plan your flights and lodging that is near to the car rental company so that it is easy for you to collect and return your car.

suggested to go for service apartment since you bringing kid(s) along. Its come with cooking stove that you can prepare 3 meals for the kids.

JJDad

Hi,

You can go to bayswater car rental, they are locate in the town.
However, my hubby suggested its better for you to rent car from the airport if there is no one fetch and send you to the aiport. This is because to take a taxi from airport to town is about A$40-A$50 per trip, to & fro is A$80-A$100.

estimate car rental in air port A$45/day (43 x 5) = A$215
estimate car rental in town A$25 per day (25 x 5) = A$125
The difference is A$90 (equivelent to the taxi fare).

And also you have to plan your flights and lodging that is near to the car rental company so that it is easy for you to collect and return your car.

suggested to go for service apartment since you bringing kid(s) along. Its come with cooking stove that you can prepare 3 meals for the kids.
oh thanks for the detailed reply. will definitely take note of these pointers.:Dancing_tongue:

ast0212

Perth is a beautiful place to visit! :D

It is probably best to rent a car because public transportation (depending where you stay) is very infrequent and taxi fares are expensive too.

Caversham Wildlife Park is a must for kiddies. There is also a Cuddly Animal Farm in Swan Valley. Yanchep is another beautiful place as well as Kings Park. There's John Forrest National Park in Mundaring for hiking/walking and Mundaring Weir to see a dam.

Swan Valley is very much like Margaret River, just smaller and less forresty. In Swan Valley there's great places for wining and dining, chocolate and coffee.

Hillarys boat harbour is another nice place to relax. Apparently it's nicer than Mandurah. Don't forget the beaches! The west coast is full of beaches. I find the nicest is Cottesloe beach.

Ohhh do not forget to try San Churro Chocolateria (Subiaco, Leederville, Fremantle and soon Northbridge)z. Their chocolate drinks are heavenly! Little Caesar's in Mundaring and Leederville is famous for their pizza.

Then there's Fremantle and their famous but not so nice Cicerello's fish and chips.

Oh there is also a Baby and Kid's market that sells preloved stuff like clothes and toys and more.

Heaps of great places but I have to go now, my little boy has just woken up.

Hope this help! :D

jessmummy

i'm going to bring my little one back to Perth to visit her grandparents in Jan 2012 for CNY.

but really concern the activities for her as she'll be around 5-6 months then and the weather. Not sure can tahan or not :(

so much to consider. shall we get a portable cot but scared she dont want to sleep in it if it gets too warm and stuffy or if she will make a fuss in a different house for a month.

but definitely am considering to bring her to caversham wildlife park, hillarys boat quay, AQWA, kings park, swan river, freo, cottesloe

maybe rottnest island, mandurrah and margaret river if daddy and mummy wants to have some reminiscence during the pak tor days :p but have to see how she handles long journeys.

JJDad

Perth is a beautiful place to visit! :D

It is probably best to rent a car because public transportation (depending where you stay) is very infrequent and taxi fares are expensive too.

Caversham Wildlife Park is a must for kiddies. There is also a Cuddly Animal Farm in Swan Valley. Yanchep is another beautiful place as well as Kings Park. There's John Forrest National Park in Mundaring for hiking/walking and Mundaring Weir to see a dam.

Swan Valley is very much like Margaret River, just smaller and less forresty. In Swan Valley there's great places for wining and dining, chocolate and coffee.

Hillarys boat harbour is another nice place to relax. Apparently it's nicer than Mandurah. Don't forget the beaches! The west coast is full of beaches. I find the nicest is Cottesloe beach.

Ohhh do not forget to try San Churro Chocolateria (Subiaco, Leederville, Fremantle and soon Northbridge)z. Their chocolate drinks are heavenly! Little Caesar's in Mundaring and Leederville is famous for their pizza.

Then there's Fremantle and their famous but not so nice Cicerello's fish and chips.

Oh there is also a Baby and Kid's market that sells preloved stuff like clothes and toys and more.

Heaps of great places but I have to go now, my little boy has just woken up.

Hope this help! :D
ur info definitely helps! thanks a lot!

Go east coast mate... no offence to perthians.. lol:001_302: I was in Perth for the InterVarsity badminton games. Quite fun. Disco at burswood every night. aha..:Dancing_tongue:

gumbokins

Oh another suggestion, if you are planning to eat out, to bring your own water in a water bottle. Coz while the food was quite cheap (large servings, can share), it was always the drinks that ended up costing the most!

ast0212

Oh another suggestion, if you are planning to eat out, to bring your own water in a water bottle. Coz while the food was quite cheap (large servings, can share), it was always the drinks that ended up costing the most!
You can ask for tap water :) Tap water is safe to drink.