Frequent drinker

MumLove

I recorded down all my bb's feeding time. Realised that if I latch him on both sides, he will get hungry & ask for milk again after 1-1.5 hr later.

Eg = start drinking on both breasts at 1 pm. Whole process take 1 hr, thus finish at 2 pm. He will ask for milk again bet 3 pm-3.30 pm.

Is it that my latching position is wrong so that he did not drink enough b4 falling to sleep?

Pls help me as I m terribly deprived of sleep at night.

panpan

Hi hi,

From the talks i attended, the frequency of BF starts from the moment the baby starts BF, not the end.. How old is your baby btw?

From what i read, a newborn can nurse 2-3hrs frequency though.. but it's good to feed on demand. And during growth spur, the baby can nurse anythin from 1-2 hrs frequency.

Oh, and you might wanna nurse on one breast longer (so that the bb can take in more hindmilk which has higher fat content) and use the next breast for the next feed.

Hang in there k? I think ure doing a great job so far. =)

Disclaimer: i'm a first time mummy also... and bb's not borned yet. =)

ast0212

Hello, how old is your baby?

Like Panpan said, the time between feeds is usually recorded from the time they start..that way it doesn't sound so daunting as well :) But it is normal for babies to feed every 1.5-2 hourly especially during growth spurts where they can drink for longer. When my son was going through growth spurts he would feed every 2 hours, example 8am, 10am, 12pm etc and for 1 hour per feed. I felt like I was glued to the couch!

As for positioning, try to Youtube some videos to get a better idea if baby is latching well. If your baby is young it is quite hard for them to get a mouthful of breast as their mouth is still tiny, but as long as you can get as much areola in then attachment is good.

Maybe you can try lying down on the bed to rest a bit? Hang in there, it does get better!! The sleep deprivation does pass :)

maichiang

its very much common..mi boi didn use to latch on 4 tt long bt frequency was pretty much e same..every hr or 2..mayb you're not latchin on well? listen for that suckling sound n see the movement of your child..i used to feel that mi boi wasnt gettin enuff thus the frequency bt its normal..esp at such young age..you will haf more milk,which is actually good..and as they get older,they will suckle on lesser..

MumLove

This is also what I suspected that he din latch on properly. I have problem feeding on the right breast due to the position of my right arm. Left arm is ok. Usually mid night I will give 1 bottle of fm. Rest of the time is direct latch. Really feel tired the next day when colleague keeps calling to ask on office work. I told my husband i m very afraid when night is approaching as need to wake up to feed baby. By which mth will bb sleep thru the night?

MumLove

After few days of observation, my finding is ds tends to fall asleep while drinking. Thus only drink a short while or only one side. This not filling. How to make ds awake during the whole latching session? I tried burping, tickling hands and cheeks but he still continue sleeping esp night time. How?

panpan

After few days of observation, my finding is ds tends to fall asleep while drinking. Thus only drink a short while or only one side. This not filling. How to make ds awake during the whole latching session? I tried burping, tickling hands and cheeks but he still continue sleeping esp night time. How?
hm.. maybe he's comfort feeding? btw, my boy is now about 2 wks old n i'm on tbf. =)

my boy also fall asleep while drinking.. sometimes for 5mins, sometimes for 30mins. as long as baby is contented, it should be okay. i let the boy sleep in during the night and only feed when he's crying for milk. Basically i just feed on demand.. and honestly, sometimes, i get confused myself! An experienced mother shared with me that just feed as and when the baby wants.. and he will let u know if he needs more.

oh, and do relax yourself during feeding to help with the letdown. =)

Hi mumlove,

In the age of 1 month, our baby normally feed time by time, hour by hour.
but there's a little different in the night mostly in every 2 hours.

goh377

How old is your baby? The frequency and duration will depend on age of your child.

Furthermore, there is a growth spurt period when your baby willl need more

You may refer to how often to breastfeed for more information.