FYI No more free milk supplement to newborn baby in mount alvernia hospital!!

shiewliang

To All MTB,

For those who giving birth at Mount Alvernia hospital, for your info the hospital is not provide milk for baby already as Mount Alvernia encourage mother breastfeeding to the baby. Thanks.

pmcheng

I heard that first time mommies may take a while before the first milk is comes. So in between, what does the bb drink if MAH does not provide milk ah? Hmm, I'm almost due for delivery at MAH anytime now, so wanna find out and get my expectations right. :)

shiewliang

I heard that first time mommies may take a while before the first milk is comes. So in between, what does the baby drink if MAH does not provide milk ? Hmm, I'm almost due for delivery at MAH anytime now, so wanna find out and get my expectations right. :)
We are still can request to providing milk for new born baby but its not free anymore.. Need to check their pricing..

I heard that first time mommies may take a while before the first milk is comes. So in between, what does the baby drink if MAH does not provide milk ? Hmm, I'm almost due for delivery at MAH anytime now, so wanna find out and get my expectations right. :)
When your baby first arrives, it's stomach is the size of a small PEA.

It takes several days - 5 or 6 days - for it to grow to the size of a small WALNUT.

Your breasts produce "Colostrum" which is a thin/watery milk in the first few days. This is enough for your baby! Your thicker milk will only come in on Day 4-5 when your baby's stomach is ready to digest it. Remember, it is not used to digesting anything except amniotic fluid before this. Milk production is supposed to take a few days to "come in" because your baby cannot cope with it otherwise.

It is NOT true that your baby will starve or be thirsty because your breasts are not producing lots and lots of milk in the first few days! Your body is designed to feed your baby and your breasts will work as nature intended if you are patient and drinks lots of fluids yourself and look after yourself.

It is also NOT true that babies with Jaundice should not have breast milk.

If you want to breastfeed your baby (read up on all the many benefits for the baby and for you, and for your financial savings as well!), then you should get the appointment with the lactation consultant/nurse at the hospital and learn how to get the baby to latch on properly so that you don't have any problems or pain in nipples.

You should not listen to doctors who advise to supplement your baby's diet with formula milk. It is not as healthy for babies as their mother's milk. Breast milk actually changes its composition as your baby grows, giving it a different "blend" of vitamins, etc depending on the stage of development/what it needs. Formula cannot do that!

And you should AVOID using plastic nipples or dummy/pacifiers for the first 6 weeks because the baby will get "nipple confusion". This is where they do not understand why some nipples are different to mummy's, and the fake nipples on bottles and pacifiers are easy for them to suck from, so if you give it to them, they will not learn how to suck your nipple.

So I would recommend you all who are complaining about lack of free formula milk in hospitals to do a little bit of reading up on why breast feeding is better (do the maths; it's free!! How much money you will save not buying formula for 1 year!) and then focus your energies on how to do the breast feeding. Here is a video and some info that will help - explaining how to get baby to latch on properly. You can do your own search on youtube and find more.

http://video.about.com/breastfeeding/Breastfeeding.htm
http://www.whattoexpect.com/poor-breastfeeding-latch.aspx

Last edited:

pmcheng

Hi ladies, I delivered at MAH and asked the lactation consultant about this. She said this is a nation-wide initiative across hospitals to encourage BF. My relative also read about this in the newspapers (I believe it was Chinese papers). Hope the info helps!

katsg

Hi,

Can I know what brand of milk powder does the hospital provides for our selection? Do they sell in tins or bottled made ready types?

Last edited:

pmcheng

Hi,

Can I know what brand of milk powder does the hospital provides for our selection? Do they sell in tins or bottled made ready types?
Hmm I'm not very sure becos I opted for BF. Heard MAH gives babies S26. Think you might want to check in with your hospital? :)

Jenni

Hi,

MAH have diff brand for you to chose, if u wan feed baby milk can tell them the brand you wan, the milk they provide is in bottle type...

magdalenechoo

i delivered last yr Nov at Mt A.

the milk brands they provided are as follows:

Enfalac
Similac
S26
Friso
Mamex
NAN

hope the above helps :)

Hi ladies, I delivered at MAH and asked the lactation consultant about this. She said this is a nation-wide initiative across hospitals to encourage BF. My relative also read about this in the newspapers (I believe it was Chinese papers). Hope the info helps!
Indeed it's nation-wide. I delivered at TMC in jan.
The nurse told me that wef 1 jan 2012, MOH's policy of hospitals not providing free milk supplement starts.
As my MIL insisted that my baby must drink milk, I changed from total BF to partial BF. The hospital charged $1 per ready feed.

Jenni

Indeed it's nation-wide. I delivered at TMC in jan.
The nurse told me that wef 1 jan 2012, MOH's policy of hospitals not providing free milk supplement starts.
As my MIL insisted that my baby must drink milk, I changed from total BF to partial BF. The hospital charged $1 per ready feed.
Wonder if i wan partial BF jus in case not enough for the first few days, can i buy my own milk in to feed rather then $1 per feed. As newborn drink alot...

pmcheng

I think you can do partial BF but I'm not sure if hospitals would let you bring your own formula. I would think they will be strict for fear that if by some rare chance baby does not take formula well, hospital might be blamed.. Better check with your preferred hospital on advance..

Anyway it might be easier to use hospital's formula cos they might not have empty bottles to make your chosen formula. Think about all the logistics (eg bring your own bottles, teats, sterilizer).. Better for you and your family to just rest and enjoy the hospital stay than bother about these logistics :)

i agree with pmcheng. better not to bring your own formula. dont think hospital will provide bottles, teats & sterilise for you. think for convenience, they use the ready-made $1 type.
no worries, newborns do not drink a lot during the first few days in hospital... i saw the bill - only a few $1 added.
think u will want to rest & let the hospital take care of as much as possible.

lsy

I remember I asked for similac standby and the glass bottle when I read in detail the ingredient they give they isomil which is soy based not cow's milk. Since below 1 yr old there are babies allergic to cow's milk so safest to feed soy.