Garage Question

YoruVoly

Hello,
I've been contemplating either building a new garage on our existing plot of land or moving to a location with a larger garage onsite. Here's my main question. I can build a new garage where I'm at now, but would be restricted to at most 480-500 square feet of total floor space. It could be insulated well and climate controlled since it'd be new construction. But it'd be tough to do my own work (and store tools/workbenches/etc) with the limited floor space.

The wife and I are interested in a property nearby with an in-place detached 4-car garage (800 square feet). Of course, the wife is not interested in the garage but in the rest of the property. The estate there is old and dates back to the '20s. The garage is extremely solid - brick with a slate roof and concrete floor (see picture), but is uninsulated. We did a walk-through last week and the concrete inside was damp from it being a warm/humid day. Being in the Southeast and controlling for humidity is a concern of mine. Do any of you have similar old-time garages in a humid locale and have any effective solutions for humidity control?

Lyayozoce

Wow, that number of posts is really surprising.
Tbh if I were you, I’d install a cantilever carport like this one https://carportaustralia.com.au/cantilever-carport/. It depends on where you live, but a carport has always been a good option. Anyway, the final decision is still up to you. Btw, what have you eventually decided to do with your garage? I’m curious about it. My friend had the same issue. It all ended up with moving to Australia, but it’s another story to be told, actually. So, waiting for your reply, acedriale. Thanks in advance for sharing. Best wishes.