GDD - (speech & play skill delay)

summertime

Hi all, preivously I have posting regarding my son speech delay issue. Recently KKH speech therapist diagonised my son has GDD due to speech delay and delay in his play skill (doing 1 step pretend play instead 3 step) . I'm kind of suprised that diagonised is done by the speech therapist instead of doctor (doctor hasnt been seeing him for a yr) and the therapist recommendment to sent my son for EIPIC programme. Actually now Im still trying to digest the "from speech delay to GDD" trying to accept even though im very reluctant to send my son to EIPIC centre. My son will 3 yrs old in another few month and he can only say single words or imitates word but in terms of other areas he is doing fine . Suddenly from speech delay to GDD it kind "shocking" for me. Im lost.. seriously I dont know what to do... It kind of everytime there is improvement in his speech then a bomb drop down..:wong7:

Angelmum

Quite unusual for speech therapist to give you such a firm observation/diagnosis. Child normally will be referred to Children Development unit for assessment and take some tests.
Your son may have missed his milestones but I thot Dr in the capacity to certify a diagnosis. It is to his disadvantage if he doesn't attend EIPIC - get early intervention soon but if he is not 'officially' termed as GDD, I doubt any special school will take him in. Obviously sending a child with special needs ie GDD to normal school might not help and could hinder the child's chance to perform better or be treated.

My child should attend mainstream or SPED?

Click
Developmental delay vs GDD
GDD is a more serious and harsh medical term

Last edited:

summertime

Quite unusual for speech therapist to give you such a firm observation/diagnosis. Child normally will be referred to Children Development unit for assessment and take some tests.
Your son may have missed his milestones but I thot Dr in the capacity to certify a diagnosis. It is to his disadvantage if he doesn't attend EIPIC - get early intervention soon but if he is not 'officially' termed as GDD, I doubt any special school will take him in. Obviously sending a child with special needs ie GDD to normal school might not help and could hinder the child's chance to perform better or be treated.

Developmental delay vs GDD
GDD is a more serious and harsh medical term
I understand that sending him to eipic centre will benefit but I do not want the mis diagnosis . When I ask is it doc be the one to diagnosis ,the therapist reply that the doc will base on her notes and write referral for my child. Also she said that if my son is gdd then it easier for eipic centre to accept compare to speech delay. To me is he get the proper n right intervention. To a parent from speech delay to gdd it hard to accept at least for me