Ginseng with black chicken ok for preggy??

xicloudix

My grandma and friends keeps saying my face very pale and I do feel weak and strengthless very often, if go out shopping, can't last very long, 1-2 hrs have to give up....

So my grandma always cook ginseng (they call it pao shen??) with black chicken... When we went to buy the ginseng, we were told to buy the "middle grade" as lower grade is cooling, not suitable for preggy. They claims that its ok for weekly consumption or grind into powder and mix with water and drink every day, or juz suck on the ginseng.

Although they say ok for weekly, but i still eat it only around every 2-3 weeks as i feel weekly may b a bit too "bu", later scared i too heaty (I always have heaty body)...

BUT, My hubby uncle says that preggy cannot take too much tonic, as too much tonic is harmful.... Even birdnest is not advisable...

Any advise? I scared when the time to give birth and push i won't have enough strength as I always feel weak...

It is indeed important to be very careful when it comes to chinese herbs. A lot of nice seemingly mild chinese herbs (like bird's nest) we normally take suddenly become inappropriate for pregnant women according to experienced mothers and grandmas. The advice I have gathered so far said excessive bird's nest cause phlegm, even asthma later in children. It's for you to decide.

Ginseng is different from Paoshen. Take everything in moderation. That's the key for me.

I also had very pale complexion (up until now) and doc via blood test said my blood level is low, and hence prescribed iron tablet for me. I drink red date tea once in a while and increased beef intake which seem to help. I am looking less pale. Once I was super tired and felt so weak I could not walk up the flight of stairs at home. My mum opened up and warmed just chicken essence for me and astonishingly I immediately felt less weak and more vitalized. You might want to try since chicken essence is deemed ok.

:Dancing_wub:

WinnieL

actually, i've been taking chinese tonics brewed by my mil.. not too much, about 1-2 times a week. She uses normal chicken, ginseng, wolfberries. not very strong, so it's not too heaty or cooling. so far so good. baby's well & kicking strong.

my mom also adds some herbs into her soups when i go back for meals, but these are generally mild ones. she'll also cook white fungus dessert.

went to prenatal class, and the doctors there say there's no clinical research to prove that bird's nest or chicken essence (eg brands) is beneficial or detrimental to the mother or baby. i do take both bird's nest & chicken essence too, but also in moderation, about 1-2 times a week.

so i guess it all boils down to moderation lah.

sassylady

during my pregnancy, i took tonics based on what my mil got for me from the chinese doctor. but it's advisable not to take too much as too much of it may not be good for the pregnant body.

as for birds nest, i drank it during my pregnancy. nestural birds nest with rock sugar. however i only drink it once every few days.

i think taking tonics during pregnancy must be careful. later too 'bu' already not very good.

as for birds nest, the chinese doctor told me it was alright for me to drink during my pregnancy. just in moderation.

fern

i read from a book that when pregnant, we shouldn't eat ginseng. Reason is that ginseng promote blood circulation and hence will result in additional blood loss during delivery. In addition, it induces early delivery which can be risky when too early.

terasey

Before I was preggy, I already loved Black Chicken Soup. Hence when I was preggy, I asked Hubby to coook this for me, planning to "bu bu shen".

He cooked the normal chicken soup with herbs. It was delicious.

But later that night, I broke out in perspirations.. and hell, it was a lot of water gushing out of me. I felt warm..

think it was too bu? heatiness?

But after that, I never ask him to cook tonic soup liao..

Doc says chinese soups or not, as long as it is nutritious, can drink. But take note that most chinese herbal / tonic soup tends to be oily and thus high in cholestorol.

during my pregnancy, i try and stay away from tonics. some tonics are a little heaty to be taken during pregnancy or so i was told by the chinese doctor.

not sure about chicken essence tho. especially since it's like a tonic drink? and if the body gets too much 'heat' from tonics, one would feel very uncomfortable. so i tend and stay away from them unless stated suitable from the doctor.

i did drink birds nest during my pregnancy. boiling bird nests was too troublesome, so i settled for those bottled ones. mine was from nestural too if i'm not wrong. tastes just as good as those home brewed one and it's healthy as well. no sugar no artifical coloring.

but of course, i took it in moderation. cant possibly drink every night if not my hubby will go broke even before the bb arrives right?

i think it's best to seek advice from the chinese doctor on what kind of herbs are suitable for each individual as it differs from one to one.

sassylady

i think it was ginseng with black chicken may be a little tonic already.

overheard this on some radio station that pregnant ladies should avoid tonics as they can be a little too heaty for the body.

so keep the tonics, waist tonic for after delivery. use them to strengthen the body then.

i was at the chinese doctor today. getting some tonics for myself. and i asked the doctor if it was advisable to take tonics during pregnancy.

he advised that it would be best to avoid them when pregnant as they can be a little too 'bu' or heaty for the pregnant body to handle.

birds nest should be fine. especially when he recommanded me to buy nestural when i visited him during my pregnancy. birds nest is sort of like cooling and when taken in moderation. but cannot taken in excess. too liang not good.

not forgetting, the nutrients from the birds nest will be passed on to the bb. next time will have smooth fair skin. heehehehe.

sassylady

hmm. if i remember correctly, for my last pregnancy i did take tonics but they are crafted by the chinese doctor. so i think it's alright to take certain tonics during pregnancy?

in short i think it's best to consult a doctor before taking any.

somemore after giving birth, you would take all the tonics available already. during my confinement, my mil bought me loads of tonics. and on top of that, i was drinking the huiji waist tonic daily also. alot of 'bu' that time.