Girl is not drinking milk from teat...headache

Mummy to Baby V

How old is she?
My breastfed boy rejected the bottle since 4 months old cos I hardly offered him.
Then he used open cup or bowl.

At about 18 months old, he accepted straw.

He's now 21 months old. For breakfast & tea break milk feed, I add oats or bread pieces into a bowl of milk. Then spoon-feed him the food with milk. And also feed milk directly from the bowl. This way, he gulps down everything. :)

Happymother

Dear all, thanks for your replies.:001_302:

My girl will be 15 months this week. She drinks from straw but only for water.
For milk, we tried using straw but she doesn't want and doesn't drink much.

When we feed her milk, she keeps making the "vomit" sound...not sure if learnt from her brother :p We have to keep giving her toys in order to finish the milk feed from spoon. Not sure if this runs in the blood as my boy also rejected teat when he turned 1 year. My niece also rejected teat :001_07:

Ya, as what you suggested, I am thinking of getting a cereal she likes. Then, put mix it with milk. Have not tried the bread pieces but that's is a great idea!:Dancing_wub:

Keep me posted of any other suggestions :p Forgot to mentioned that she only has two teeth now but the top front teeths are popping out...not sure if is due to this but this has been 3 weeks already.

Mummy to Baby V

Oh... It may also be pickiness over the taste of milk.
For instance, my boy was breastfed until 18 months, started replacing milk feeds with fresh milk since 14 months.

During a recent trip to Perth, I offered him formula milk when we were outside. He refused to drink it at all, only accepted it before bedtime.
This is despite that I've let him try the same formula several times while preparing for the trip.
I'd to buy fresh milk and UHT (long-life milk) as last resort for the rest of the trip.

And yes, teething could cause fussiness during feeds too.

joeybeadz

my girl can only drink soy formula thou as the normal one gives her diahorrea. The taste n smell is like holick. Maybe your girl will like?

Happymother

Dear all,

Thanks for all your sharing :001_302:
Now, my girl totally refuses milk from teat. We feed her using spoon (+ have to keep her occupied with new toys)......at least, she finishes her milk. Not easy uhh....:Dancing_wub:
"Jia You"

redjn

have u try using a training milk cup? y not u bring her to shop for 1 of her own choice like that may capture her attention each milk time.

Snowpea

Guess have to try all ways. My gal refused to drink from bottle since 2nd month until someone suggests trying different brand of teats. After changing to NUK from Avent teats, she drinks the milk. So far so good now she is 4months. Since your girl is older, maybe you can consider other milk sources like yoghurt. Make it more interesting, like adding fruits. Supermarkets have yoghurt for toddlers. After one year, they can try fresh milk, which my other friends give to their kids, because they do not like formula milk.

Happymother

Dear all,

Thanks for the suggestion on the training cup and the different milk sources. Now, we spoon feed her totally. If fast, will take about 1/2 half. The longest will be 1 hour. We also supplement with yoghurt. Glad she is taking cereal with milk :)
Just have to press on...till she picks up teat or cup. Thanks for all your time and sharing!

kaymummy

Changing the brand of teats did help my baby boy take on the teat... He was on a mix of formula and BF for the first month and liked the Pigeon bottles. But when it comes to the second half of the second month, he's on total BF and would reject the bottle, even if it contains expressed BM. He rejected even the Pigeon bottles that he liked. So I changed to Nuk bottles... The yellow latex teats. Even the Nuk silicone teats were rejected by him.

joeybeadz

Changing the brand of teats did help my baby boy take on the teat... He was on a mix of formula and BF for the first month and liked the Pigeon bottles. But when it comes to the second half of the second month, he's on total BF and would reject the bottle, even if it contains expressed BM. He rejected even the Pigeon bottles that he liked. So I changed to Nuk bottles... The yellow latex teats. Even the Nuk silicone teats were rejected by him.
How about Avent? I also tried almost all... But got better with tommee tippee. ;)

veronica

Will be trying the pigeon teat again since it is soft and see how it goes :):Dancing_wub:
My 18th mths old gal also rejected. Not just teat but also her milk since she was abt 10mths old.

She has not been drinking from bottle since and I have to mix her milk with the BB cereal morning and night. each time she sees the milk bottle, she will wail and cry and shook her head.

I have tried switching brands but it's the same. Sigh...

raeka

Lol my boy too doesn't drink from bottle since he is baby like 5 months onwards.. I been spoon feeding since baby till now that's he is 2 yr old.
I gave him watch tv to feed when he was before one . Then I slowly change him to draw or write on paper to feed.
He drank for 15 minutes using spoon feed.
I can spoon feed him but he too have vomit face that I will scold him then carry on. Ya some kids cannot tahan the milk smell , my boy too .
At least he did drink lor ..
My boy cannot take fresh milk.. He will go toilet there after and having uncomfort stomach .. Haahaa

Happymother

Dear Raeka, thanks for your sharing. We feel more comforted knowing that someone understand.
Not sure why babies nowadays do not drink from teat. I feel envious of my friends' babies who drink from teat, and drink so fast.
Easy life, uhh. Nevermind, let's press on. My boy also have this problem but is ok when he is about 2 years plus, when he went to kindergarten.

JP12

Hi
My baby was BF and bottle fed initially n so ok drinking from the bottle at first, but suddenly he rejects, even with BM in the bottle. I am using Avent bottle teats. What can I do? We tried to give him the milk from the bottle but then he cried so much.

bunnydaddy

Hi JP12 and all.
I too had the same problem with my girl. She was a little terror when it came to feeding time. She dislikes drinking from the bottle so every feed must feed/pour from a spoon. Even then, she keeps struggling and not wanting to drink. Had to distract her with all sorts of things so that she at least finish the minimum intake of milk. Her milk time is a constant battle with her.
Sometimes i get so afraid that she might have more wind in the stomach because of the feeding from the spoon. She sometimes give the throw up sounds after a few spoons. I too get so envious that other babies drink so easily from the bottle and teat. It is really tiring to have to feed from the spoon. Especially when we go out, feeding her outdoors can be slightly more cumbersome because of the spoon-feeding.

I've changed different FMs and I tried lots of different bottles and different nipples/teats because one doctor did suggest that it might be her sensitive tongue to the material of the teat.
So i tried the various brands of latex teats and silicone ones to no avail. I even went around switching bottles, from pigeons to avents and so on, exhausting lots of options to try and get darling daughter to drink from the bottle.

By luck, when we were in Australia, i chanced across this brand called MAM. They have this anti-colic bottle which is detachable at the bottom. And their teat is the flat kind. Don't know why, but the first feed with this new bottle and teat, my girl just drank and finished the bottle. I was delighted. The jump for joy kind of feeling. So now, i only stick to this range of bottles and teats. Don't know if this is the cause or what, but somehow it worked out for my girl although i don't know if it might help you out.
This range can be bought off mothercare at their harbourfront location.
Hoping this helps somewhat.

Snowpea

Hi Bunnydaddy

I also have the same problem with my gal. She is currently 7mths. From her second month, she has been rejecting bottle feeding. I have changed bottles from Avent to NUK. She drank from NUK initially and later rejected again. We are syringe feeding her now. Sometimes, she just suck a bit, i think depends on mood, and left whole bottle untouched, so no choice we syringe feed her. We started feeding her cereal from 4mths, but she also doesn't like, crying throughout feeds, even though we try different brands.

Maybe, i can try the MAM anti-colic bottle you mentioned.

GOSH, I FEEL SO STRESSED OUT DURING FEEDING TIME! Why my girl doesn't like eating...