Giving Water to a Baby??

Nano81

so old folk taught is right on giving water to reduce the "heaty" eg pimple on face as formula milk a bit heaty?
anyway I just give water to baby before formula milk, but breast milk I think is fine so sip his mouth wet :)
so far so good *****touch wood******

hope your baby recover soonZzzzzzz........
I heard from the older folks too that if they have phlegm we could give them some water to try to flush it out of the system,and was wondering anyone has this problem too and if it helps?The phlegm's giving my now 9 weeks baby quite a problem and her breathing sounds quite of stuck sometimes.

apollo

I heard from the older folks too that if they have phlegm we could give them some water to try to flush it out of the system,and was wondering anyone has this problem too and if it helps?The phlegm's giving my now 9 weeks baby quite a problem and her breathing sounds quite of stuck sometimes.
if ur baby has phlegm, bring to pd, let pd check and seek for their advices =)

apollo

ds was on 50% BF, 50% BM when he was young, i didnt give him any water until he started semi solid. =)

Jacelynling

yup lor , my grandmother also keep nag me to give my baby water.
Already explain to her doctor said baby dont need any water but she still dun listen to me.

Bayu

if only give abit daily, lik within 10-20ml, i still find it acceptable but i once saw a mother feeding water to her bb while waiting for pd's consultation. from her conversation with her mum (or mil), the bb was ony 1 week old. and i overheard that they gave water not becos like some ppl wanna let bb rinse the mouth but they wanna make the bb full. and during my stay beside them (abt 10-15min), the bb alrdy finished half bottle, those 125ml bottle. can see that the b was really HUNGRY yet the mother just give water..
this is so sad.. im so terribly sorry for the mother... baby cry when they wanna sleep or hungry or in discomfort.. not cry because they want plain water.. issyhhh...

endlssorrow

Alpha Male
hahaha

old people will say give some water gd to baby coz milk heaty..
while western doc say dont need to give coz they are still baby....

eowyn

This is really informative. My mom also insist that baby needs to drink water coz formula is heaty. Some pple will give baby water to extend the feeding hrs. It doesn't work on my baby though. He will still cry for milk as soon as water bottle is removed. However, a little water should still be fine lah. I asked my pediatrician and he said that can give baby 30ml of water in the morning and evening.

I breastfeed my two month old baby whenever she demands it. On hot days, she suckles only for a short while on a frequent basis, so I guess she must be try to quench her own thirst. In an aircon room, she feeds on longer periods and sleep longer too.

Most of our mothers and grandmother firmly believe that fm is supreme while breastmilk is inferior because they have been brainwashed by businessmen. It is difficult to win them in argument because they have already gone through this stage and they think they know better than us. I am glad that my mil lives 3000km away from me and my mum is not very imposing. That leaves me a lot of freedom to raise my child my way

Pinkliciouz

My son was breastfed exclusively for the 1st 4 months and the PD told me that hiddcups are common because the babies drink milk, so definitely will get hiddcups. My son didn't drink any water during the time he was on a full liquid diet and PD says he is ok, not dehydrated.

My PD told me that we don't have to give any water until we start the baby on solids, as once baby start taking food, the hydration intake is lesser as compared to a full liquid diet so it is better to give a little water, otherwise poo poo will be hard.

The most irritating are my parents who keep nagging me to give the baby water whenever he hiddcups. When I explain to them that there is no need for water, they just don't understand as they have this "been there, done that, knows best" attitude...

aefiel

:( my nanny insists on giving my baby water in between milk feeds to relieve his hunger... and claims weather very hot too or baby will be dehydrated. i keep telling her don't feed the baby water, and i'm a nurse too, but she won't listen!!! ARGH!!!! :wong21:

Pinkliciouz

Luckily for me, my confinement nanny very experience. She went to the hospital with her client once, to accompany her for delivery.
So she met the PD and nurses and they told her cannot give water. She never once told me to give water, and she was very good in taking care of the baby... Only thing, she is VERY kaypo, everything in the house also want to input her thoughts even for our family matters...

aefiel

yeah well, most nannies are like that. my husband prefers infantcare @ little wings cos it's systemic, has a playtime naptime bathtime schedule, most ground rules u set will be accommodated by the teachers without them insisting on their own opinions...

Pinkliciouz

yeah well, most nannies are like that. my husband prefers infantcare @ little wings cos it's systemic, has a playtime naptime bathtime schedule, most ground rules u set will be accommodated by the teachers without them insisting on their own opinions...
It is only right that the care-takers take parent's instructions into consideration because not 1 system will work for all babies. If they are too rigid, parent's wn't feel comfortable leaving children in their care... At least for me, I know I won't...

Carlisle

Read from somewhere and js to share with mummies...

Giving Water to a Baby

Does your breast- or bottle-fed baby need more than formula or breast milk to stay hydrated? The bottom line: No — for now.

What a difference a few weeks make! You probably feel more like a seasoned pro than a fumbling first-timer. You can burp your baby with the best of them, and feedings aren’t as fraught with anxiety as they were just a mere month ago. And you’ve probably also gotten pretty adept at ignoring all the (uninvited) baby advice of strangers (or relatives!) that you don’t need (with a smile, of course). Despite your newfound confidence (at least on your good days), it’s hard not to fall prey to other people’s suggestions when you’re not sure of the information. So, if your mom or mother-in-law advises you to give your infant extra water (“She’ll get dehydrated in the hot sun without it!”), and you’re unsure about the latest advice on giving water to a baby, you may be tempted to give it a try. Here’s why you should turn away from the temptation:

Breast milk or formula is enough for young babies. Despite what well-meaning family members might say, experts now know that until your baby starts eating solid foods, infants get all the water they need from breast milk or formula. That’s right — both breast milk and/or formula will keep your infant plenty hydrated, even on steamy summer days when you might be wondering if you should offer your little hottie a cool sip of water. The only exception to the rule about not giving water to a baby this age is if the infant is sick and is losing fluids due to diarrhea or vomiting. (But ask your pediatrician about this first.)

Giving water to a baby can actually harm her. Unless she’s very sick, a baby who satisfies her appetite (and her need to suck) with bottles of water will miss out on the nutrition she needs from her feedings. If done regularly, this can cause weight loss, and in the case of breast-fed babies, it can decrease your breast-milk supply. Giving water to a baby in large amounts can even lead to oral water intoxication, a condition in which the electrolytes (such as sodium) in a baby’s bloodstream become diluted, inhibiting normal bodily functions and leading to dangerous problems such as low body temperature or seizures.

Just say no to juice too. Not only will it fill up your infant’s tiny tummy (leaving no room for milk), but also the sugar in juice can cause stomach cramping and diarrhea in young babies.

When can you start giving water to a baby, then? Most experts suggest that you wait until you’ve started feeding solids to your baby, when she’s between four and six months old. At that point, you can talk with your pediatrician about how much H2O to serve up to your little one. As for juice, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you hold off until your baby is six months old, and then, that you limit the quantity to four ounces a day. To make sure you don’t overdo it on juice (and that you don’t decay your tot’s few teeth), dilute it with water (half-and-half anyone?), and avoid giving the sweet stuff to your sweetie right before bed. But for now, though, just stick with breast milk or formula.

Thank you for sharing this... I will surely tell my sister about this.

MamaPo

I have a 44 day old daughter and I feed her a little water only when she hiccups.. that's only when.
But luckily I am seeing less of the hiccups now.

BTW she is on 100% breast milk.