Giving Water to a Baby??

I wish my parents in law unds this too. Sometimes when I am taking a nap, they feed my baby with water secretly. I am upset about it but there is nothing i can do because my husband says its just a little bit. :(

hjon81

My in laws also feeding baby water, abt 10ml after every feed, that makes up to 70-80ml per day.
Is that acceptable? I'm worried now after reading the article. Baby is now 7 weeks old and puts on 1.7kg.

My in laws also feeding baby water, abt 10ml after every feed, that makes up to 70-80ml per day.
Is that acceptable? I'm worried now after reading the article. Baby is now 7 weeks old and puts on 1.7kg.
Maybe tell them that baby's stomach is very small, if feed water den no space for milk alr. den baby cannot take nutrients because plain water no nutrients for baby at all. tell them doc say one.

mine only worked for a few weeks. after awhile, they feed alr. sian. hiccups, they feed.

hjon81

Maybe tell them that baby's stomach is very small, if feed water den no space for milk alr. den baby cannot take nutrients because plain water no nutrients for baby at all. tell them doc say one.

mine only worked for a few weeks. after awhile, they feed alr. sian. hiccups, they feed.
ok i will do just that see if it works. Thanks for the advice.

Snowice

My SIL always like to feed baby with water when they come over the weekend. They keep saying weather is hot and baby thirsty. Everytime when baby cry and it is not because baby is hungry they just feed baby water and claim that baby is thirsty need water. Baby will keep on drinking water. I have told them alot of times nicely that feeding baby water will affect baby milk intake. They just keep thinking weather is hot and baby is thirsty and give baby water is good for them.

I know they love and dote baby very much. I also don't want to strain my r/s with them so i cant tell them off straight at their face. I am getting very frustrating over this.

hjon81

My SIL always like to feed baby with water when they come over the weekend. They keep saying weather is hot and baby thirsty. Everytime when baby cry and it is not because baby is hungry they just feed baby water and claim that baby is thirsty need water. Baby will keep on drinking water. I have told them alot of times nicely that feeding baby water will affect baby milk intake. They just keep thinking weather is hot and baby is thirsty and give baby water is good for them.

I know they love and dote baby very much. I also don't want to strain my r/s with them so i cant tell them off straight at their face. I am getting very frustrating over this.

I heard from a friend that she overfed her baby boy with water and he got urinary infection, and baby has fever. Perhaps you can highlight the consequences to your sis in law.

pocus2000

The only reason I gave him water is to clean his tongue. A few sucks from the teat is good enough then I pull out. I do this once every 3-4 days
I reckon less than 5ml is ok for the purpose of cleaning rather than hydration...

nana2014

Thanks for all the valuable advice, will take note not to give water to my baby if possible
if really needed, will let him drink a few slip will do.

travelbugbunny

My mil insist on giving baby water...was sad and frustrated but nothing much I could do..tried to mention it's not good but she still insists and says it's good for baby :(

Your baby is on breastmilk or formula? if ok to give some if you baby is on formula..

Otherwise ask doc or nurse to tell your mil not to give water to baby while injection? :p

Amy Gan

hi mummies, i was also curious if i can give water or solids to babies when they're a couple months old. but i think this article verifies that we should only give breastmilk exclusively for at least the first 6 months and continuing beyond a year for as long as the mum and baby wants. hope this article is helpful to whoever is curious :)