Grandparents = Disciplinarian?

Justina

Imagine this, kids being taken care by grandparents. If kids misbehave, do you think granny should be the disciplinarian? Or await her daddy/mommy to discipline after their work? We all know that granny loves children but when it comes to parenting, do you think they can be held accountable if your child misbehaves? Do you have this problem?

This issue is put at my blog http://www.mumsafari.com/parenting-k...rent-spoil-kid. Feel free to comment there...

littlehelper

I think it will be best if grandparents and parents have a simlilar disciplining method and if one is disciplining, the other does not interfere. This way the kid will not be confused.
but it's very unlikely the grandparents would cooperate and i guess if the grandparents are the only one around it will be up to them how they wanna deal with it. But if the parents are around, the parents should step forward to discipline and teach grandparents too.

apollo

i agree with littlehelper. my parents used to be very lenient with ds. but after sometime, they realise he has become very notty and not afriad of them, will 'bully' them and that was when they start to 'support' our way of disciplinary and now ds dare not mess ard with my parents alrdy. =)

candy_ian

I make my stand clear to my mum n in laws, they can pamper him with toys n play with him as long as they wan but my son needs to follow whatever he's doing at hm. Keep
his toys after playing, no carrying him as soon as he cries, no choosy over food. I think communication is the key

Ting

like all grandparents, my parents pamper pin to bits. but they discipline her as well. when she misbehaves, they will reprimand her and explain to her why she cant do this n that. they also teach n guide her. as i live with my parents now, they play a big part in her upbringing n growth. i find it absolutely fine for my parents to discipline pin if she misbehaves, cos if they wait til im home, they most prob forgot abt it. :p but thought they scold/reprimand her, ultimately, im still the disciplinary mistress at home, keke. they still dote n pamper her more than they reprimand her. =X