Heat Rash - Help

Cheyenne

Oh dear, my boy got heat rash all over face, side near ears and neck. And his full month party is this weekend. Already washes face 3-4 times a day, but the red pimple rash comes back again in a few hours. If I stand in front of the fan for 10 mins, the rashes reduced.

what should i do ? MIL sais baby can't have too much fan, else might catch chill, or wind in tummy,esp at night.

Cream

My mum bought a kinda herb for babies to bath in if they have heat rash. You can go to chinese medical hall to ask. It comes in a box and you have to boil the herb then let it cool first then use that water to bath for bb. I did that for my girl and after bathing her once (which was one month ago), until now no rash le.

stonston

when my boy had heat rash, we applied diaper cream on it as advised by PD.
cos PD said he's too young to give steroid creams, so good alternative is diaper rash cream. and amazingly, it worked :)

once it healed, we always make sure his neck/face is clean n dry.
but now he's 2.5yrs old le, the heat rash still comes back when weather is very hot.

Cream

side track abit hor... I realised that my girl's skin is kinda dry on the back of her ear. I clean her ear (exterior) everyday with cotton bud, and wipe the area behind the ear. But it is still dry and rough. Any idea why? Should I try baby lotion or diaper cream for that area? There is no rash, just dry and rough.

Also, I realised that her eyebrow also got some dry flaky skin. Not to the extent of cradle cap, but very minor flakes that is still an eye sore. Any advise please?

Domique

my boy got heat rash on his back PD prescribe camomile lotion- no alcohol one. You can check with Guardian whether theirs got alcohol content.

Apply after bath.

moomoo85

Hi there,

my son have heat rash too... now he is coming to 8 weeks already. I applied "zhen chu gao" pearl's powder on the rashes... it helps to cool down but when did not apply, the rashes comes back. Sometimes i wonder izzit due to the milk formula that he is drinking.I heard that wyeth s-26 is quite heaty..is it true?

lisa_ng

Oh dear, my boy got heat rash all over face, side near ears and neck. And his full month party is this weekend. Already washes face 3-4 times a day, but the red pimple rash comes back again in a few hours. If I stand in front of the fan for 10 mins, the rashes reduced.

what should i do ? mother in law sais baby can't have too much fan, else might catch chill, or wind in tummy,esp at night.
Maybe you can try buying some 'jin yin hua' from chinese medical store.
i used to boil them then use it to bathe my girl or you can use a cloth to wipe the baby.

uddermummy

my mother in law once took my dear son's urine to apply on his face!!!! dont know how to say her!!!
omg!!!

for my bb, i just do it the simplest way. Stand in front of the fan until rashes subside.

i let bb wear sleeveless in the day and if it's really hot, i just let her wear diapers. but i will alway let her wear bootees.

seriously, i think it's quite hard to catch a chill when the temp is about 35 deg!!!

annie

any ways to prevent getting heat rash? summer coming in japan.. just keeping them cool n dry can liao? cannot aply powder right? should we wipe them often?

Ting

baby can catch a chill regardless of the weather.
cos as adults, we dont catch a cold tt easily but baby's immune system not as strong.
best not to let baby go w/o clothing on.
just wear diaper n thinner clothings.
make sure the room is cool (like hv the fan on or maybe aircon since the weather so warm) n let baby drink more water.
if baby perspires often, clean them with a damp cloth often, esp areas where the rash appears more often.
apply some powder to keep areas dry.

ktansy

Hi,

When my gal was 3weeks old, she had some red rashes on her cheeks. Many people, including the polyclinic nurse, told me its milk rash and that it would go away. I just had to keep baby's face clean after milk feeds. So i heeded that advice. Off and on, she would get the red rashes on her face. I remember she looked very 'rosy' on her one-month celebration.

At 3 mths old, she started to have yellow scabs near her earlobes. The scary looking scabs spread to her cheek and the other cheek as well. I took her to the doc every week cos there was no improvement after medication (cream and oral antibiotics for suspected skin infection). She also had cradle cap and some flaky stuff near her eyebrows.

Finally after 2 mths, her pediatrician refered her to Skin Centre . the doc there said she has eczema. The cradle cap and the flaky bits near the eyebrow are symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis. The red pimply rashes on her cheeks, arms and legs are possibly atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis is ezcema.

Her rashes are 80% gone but up til now (since Last Xmas), she still scratching her ear!! She is very prone to get the rashes on the face, esp when she is hot and sweaty. And she is like forever hot and sweaty!! I'm wondering if what my gal experienced is similar to the heat rash that is discussed here.

I tried using jin ying hua (honeysuckle), but her legs turned redder after that so I stopped immediately. I've also heard the one about using urine. I didnt even dare to try! I can only pray hard that she'l get better when she grows older. Skin is very impt for baby. Best to know what triggers rashes and get it under control.

Last edited:

stonston

ktansy, did the doc give steroid creams to control the outbreak? cos my boy is older now, the doc gave steroid creams which we r not gonna use.

wot my maid does now is to use a cold wet towel to wipe the affected area, then use a clean dry towel to dab dry. then she'll apply moisturiser (organic baby moisturiser tt i ordered online), let it absorb into he skin first. half hour later apply diaper rash cream (i use Canus Goat's Milk diaper rash cream cheap and good). it works very well for my boy cos my maid will do it everytime she sees some redness (before it becomes full blown).

Cheyenne

Thanks for all your tip. I think I will try the nappy rash cream. I did use PureLan for a few days, it works but rather slowly.

Don't dare to wash too much, as skin might get dry. Also being chaning his mitten very frequently, as he lick them then rub his face.

Amazing,brought baby out for shop mall, got air con - rashes disapper, showing his rosy cheek. Once step out, rashes slowly pop back.