help! bb always sleep when feeding.

llcyahoo

hi, my 6wks old gal always sleep when feeding. drinking NAN HA, max 120ml.
she will awake for the 30ml and sleep "drink" for the bal 90ml. If we took away when she close her eyes, she will wake up and cry for milk. Total she took 1hr to finish her milk. Sometime i will put a pillow under e bottle cos the drinking time is too long. When we r outside is v tiring during feeding time.
she will "eh eh" when bottle fall half way fr e small pillow. Anyway to keep her awake during feeding? anyone hv the same problems?

bbyoshi

yep yep... my 7 weeks old twin boys are also like that... but they are learning to stay awake during feeds le...

I feed them 120 ml per feed too... they will drink until half way and fall asleep... we have to wake them up to continue feeding... But unlike your baby, they dun cry when the bottle falls out... they will continue sleeping until abt 30 - 45 mins later then wake up and cry for milk.. that's why i have made it a point to ensure that they finish the whole feed...

previously they took 1-2 hrs to finish drinking milk.. then we realized that the teat hole size was wrong. it was too small and the milk flow was too slow. I am now using NUK silicone teats, medium hole.. it works. They dun take so long to drink already.

maybe the hole size for your teat is too small and the flow of milk is too slow?

I think its a growing phase for them.. hopefully they will outgrow the sleep drinking thing soon... :tlaugh:

kenxf_03

hi, my 6wks old gal always sleep when feeding. drinking NAN HA, max 120ml.
she will awake for the 30ml and sleep "drink" for the bal 90ml. If we took away when she close her eyes, she will wake up and cry for milk. Total she took 1hr to finish her milk. Sometime i will put a pillow under e bottle cos the drinking time is too long. When we r outside is very tiring during feeding time.
she will "eh eh" when bottle fall half way fr e small pillow. Anyway to keep her awake during feeding? anyone have the same problems?

Hi llcyahoo,

How abt trying to talk to ur galgal while feeding? Or u may hold the milk bottle while feeding her and meanwhile use ur last finger to gently tickle on her cheek while u feed??

DS also drink till slp when only few weeks old, I use the above mentioned method and it helps. Took abt at most 20 mins to finish his milk.

Hope this helps. :001_302:

llcyahoo

yep yep... my 7 weeks old twin boys are also like that... but they are learning to stay awake during feeds ...

I feed them 120 ml per feed too... they will drink until half way and fall asleep... we have to wake them up to continue feeding... But unlike your baby, they dont cry when the bottle falls out... they will continue sleeping until about 30 - 45 mins later then wake up and cry for milk.. that's why i have made it a point to ensure that they finish the whole feed...

previously they took 1-2 hours to finish drinking milk.. then we realized that the teat hole size was wrong. it was too small and the milk flow was too slow. I am now using NUK silicone teats, medium hole.. it works. They dont take so long to drink already.

maybe the hole size for your teat is too small and the flow of milk is too slow?

I think its a growing phase for them.. hopefully they will outgrow the sleep drinking thing soon... :tlaugh:
using NUK latex small hole. she refuse to use the silicone teats. I cut abit of the small latex teat (cos father bog wrong hole size) the flow is ok but still she fall asleep.

llcyahoo

Hi llcyahoo,

How about trying to talk to your galgal while feeding? Or you may hold the milk bottle while feeding her and meanwhile use your last finger to gently tickle on her cheek while you feed??

yes, tried to talk n tickle her (everywhere of her body. ha) she will move her body abit but with her eyes close n continue sleep n drink. sigh.

bbyoshi

using NUK latex small hole. she refuse to use the silicone teats. I cut abit of the small latex teat (cos father bog wrong hole size) the flow is ok but still she fall asleep.
I was also using NUK latex teats small hole.. but the flow was slow even after cutting a bit. Somemore latex teats get sticky after washing and sterilizing many times so i change to using silicone..

Maybe you can try using medium hole or large hole?

You can also try burping your gal half way thru feeding.. burping can wake her up..

kenxf_03

Hi llcyahoo,

How about trying to talk to your galgal while feeding? Or you may hold the milk bottle while feeding her and meanwhile use your last finger to gently tickle on her cheek while you feed??

yes, tried to talk n tickle her (everywhere of her body. ha) she will move her body abit but with her eyes close n continue sleep n drink. sigh.
ok.. How abt u try this method??

When I'm in the hospital, i asked the nurses in the nursery room to let me bottle feed my DS to hv some on hands experience, then this nurse once told me some babies will tend to drink till slp and refuse drinking.

Try to support her head and ur other hand to support her body (make sure u carry her well and secure enough) then slowly move ur hand that use to support her head and slowly move upward and downward, this is one way to so called waking her up, then u tell her its her milk milk time.

llcyahoo

I was also using NUK latex teats small hole.. but the flow was slow even after cutting a bit. Somemore latex teats get sticky after washing and sterilizing many times so i change to using silicone..

Maybe you can try using medium hole or large hole? ok will buy bigger hole size.

You can also try burping your gal half way thru feeding.. burping can wake her up..
hahaha....guess wat!!! when we try to burp her she will sleep v soundly. aiyo sleeping beauty....but aft finish whole bottle she will be v alert.

bbyoshi

haha... sometimes my boys also sleep soundly when we burp them...then after milk will be very alert...

I thought they should sleep after milk and not the other way round? hmmm... babies will normally sleep after they drink their milk right? :001_302:

alanpoh06

Alpha Male
This is very normal... babies at this age sleeps alot and they do not have strong muscle on their cheeks that is why they stops when they are tired, and sucks slower. my method is quite traditional since impart from my godmum. We try to tap on the bottle when baby stop moving his mouth for 10 sec. Or, i use the tip of the bottle or if you are breastfeeding, your nipple to stimulate his lips. this method is taught by the nurse.

This phase will soon end when your baby grows older. Just be patient.

cocraze

haha... sometimes my boys also sleep soundly when we burp them...then after milk will be very alert...

I thought they should sleep after milk and not the other way round? hmmm... babies will normally sleep after they drink their milk right? :001_302:
My 7 week old girl also sleeps soundly when I try to burp her in the middle of her 120ml feed. She wld be awake for a while at first then doze off. Bo pian when she dun suck so keenly I stop and TY to burp her but she close eyes Liao. So sleepy hard to burp cos she like to curl up cosily the air bubbles can't travel up.
Even if she finish full feed of 120 also sleepy always dun burp and end up stomach wind and cry n cry cos she so uncomfortable.

I've tried using tickling her cheeks, her ears and rubbing her head(she hates pple touching her head) to successfully wake her up to continue sucking bottle but the burping part never works... But somehow maybe my technique wrong. My hubby, mum and my sis-in-law all get better at burping her than me... Haiz...

bbyoshi

ya.. I'm feeding the boys 150ml.. they can't finish coz they keep sleeping while drinking... and they dun drink milk when its cold. So i got a warmer to keep the milk warm half way thru the feed and in the meantime, i burp them..

If we are lucky, they will wake up after burping... when feeding them, i try to tickle them all over to wake them but it seems like it doesn't really work..

any other ideas to keep babies awake to drink milk?

cocraze

ya.. I'm feeding the boys 150ml.. they can't finish coz they keep sleeping while drinking... and they dont drink milk when its cold. So i got a warmer to keep the milk warm half way thru the feed and in the meantime, i burp them..

If we are lucky, they will wake up after burping... when feeding them, i try to tickle them all over to wake them but it seems like it doesn't really work..

any other ideas to keep babies awake to drink milk?
Some mummies at the breastfeeding forum sometimes undress their babies to make them more alert. But usually won't catch a cold in their case cos they direct bf, skin to skin contact with baby ensures baby doesn't get cold.

For me I sometimes use that, in the sense that I take off girl's nappy cloth swaddle so she is not so warm and cozy. She perspires quite a lot during feed anyway...

llcyahoo

tks mummies. finally i changed to large latex hole and now she is drinking faster and w/out falling sleep. Burp better also.