help!!!!!!!!!!how n wat way to deal with bed bugs

camom

It's better to throw away the affected furniture. Say it's the bed, then better replace an entire set cos they can spread and mulyiply very fast. I don't know if using a pest control company helps though.

diymummy

Yeah. Throw away the affected furniture. That's what we did when we discovered bed bugs in one of our beds years ago.

Ting

i agree, just dump it n buy a new set.
they r pretty hard to get rid of.

stonston

There's no need to throw away & buy new mattress, esp if your mattress is those expensive type!

I encountered bed bugs few years back at my old rental place. This is what we did to get rid of them thoroughly:
1. Search carefully, where are they hiding? You can spot their hiding place by small black dots or stains on the mattress. Or you will see small eggs hidden in creases.
2. Get tea tree oil or citronella oil or both (available at most pharmacies). I used both. Mix with water, put into a spray bottle & spray. Then vacuum up. If using water based vacuum, put the oils into the water also. If using dust bag, BURN THE BAG after you vaccum.
3. Bed bugs are AFRAID OF HEAT. They die at temperatures about 60 degrees celcius. If you have a steamer (those standing steam iron), steam the entire bed. If you do not have one, use hair dryer or normal iron to iron.
4. Check all your pillows, bolsters, comforters, bedsheets & blankets. For those washable items, use HOT WATER to wash them & use iron to iron them. For bulky items like pillows, bolsters, cushions, give them same treatment as the mattress. Best if can sun them.
5. Check the entire house. All dark dingy corners, behind furniture, in cracks of floor are good hiding places. Put tea tree oil/citronella oil & steam it/blow dry it.
6. They also die when in contact with alcohol. My hb tried spraying some rubbing alcohol on the bed after that as preventive measure.

There's no need to get professionals. Can DIY. You need to repeat the above for around 2-3 times, spread out. Do it every 2 weeks. Reason is that if there is any eggs left and they hatch later, you need to stop it before it grows again.

BTW, the above methods are the safest to carry out with any side effects on your family's health.
I did extensive research & the above methods are tried & tested by me & my hb. Effective cos we hv a baby and a dog, so we do not want excessive chemicals in the house. The pest control ppl told us that they use strong pesticides and we should not sleep on the mattress for at least 3 days.

Last edited:

Mummy to Baby V

My rooms were infested with fleas last year when my boy was 2+ months old. I had 60+ super-itchy bites on my feet and calves!

We did this:
- trace the source
- vacuum the entire place (sealed the vacuum bag in a Ziploc bag)
- bought a Karcher steam-cleaner to steam every corner and the mattress
- washed all related fabrics on hot (at least 60 degrees Celsius)
- sun fabrics
- steam & vacuum rooms every 1-2 weeks

The problem was solved in 2 weeks.
I was glad we did not have to get the pest control company in, as they would certainly use pesticides, which is not acceptable for a newborn.

tigerprincess

Dear Mummies

We are first-time parents and after receiving a trial from Delphin and seeing how dirty an otherwise clean looking mattress is, we decided to purchase it for the benefit of our little one.

As we understand that the machine is not cheap, we are offering a cleaning service to parents who would also wanna benefit from this machine at afforadable prices. We do not represent the vacuum cleaner company (hence, we would not hard-sell the expensive machine) nor do we hard-sell cleaning packages - just give us a call for a cleaning appointment - as simple as that.

Our pricing is as follows:
- 1st mattress (any size): S$38
- subsequent item (can be mattress/sofa/carpet): S$10
There is no hidden costs nor transportation charges

Referral Promotion: Earn S$10 cash or NTUC voucher for every successful customer you refer! Valid for every customer who has tried our cleaning services

Current Promotion:
Due To High HFMD recently, we are giving 1 FREE Lifebuoy (Germ Protection handwash 200ml) to each customer
Call Mr Ong now at 81166707 for appointments. :Dancing_wub:

~ dont't risk the health of your loved ones - allergen management is better than cure~

quincy1986

yes you can throw away the affected furniture.
you can buy bug resistant furniture although i doubt they really work.

remember your whole house must always keep clean.

i found out my house was affected by bed bugs when my sister consulted doctor for the bug bites all over her body
then doctor told her must wash bed sheets, pillow, bolster covers, blankets at least once every week.
and also cushion covers etc.

do thorough house cleaning at least twice every year.

JuliaKT

A few years back, my roommate was infested with bed bug. She bought the bed buy spray from NTUC and sprayed along the infected aare and her bed. She also threw away her bedframe. But it seemed to work. After one month or two month of continue spraying, no more bed bug in her room.
Bed bug can spread very fast to other rooms. So need to spray all the rooms where you find the black dingy. .. It is good to clear thoroughly as fast as you know there is the bug in your house.

whitegale

This is scary..especially when there is young children around. Best is constantly cleaning maybe once every 3 months.

Mrsed Fitri

I encounted that too! spray didn't work that much ... Hubby have to do the checking all the pillow and mattress. Apparently read up at internet soursop leaf works on bedbug... yes happened we went kl and found the leaf. Place every corner of the bed now no more.

Ashleycan

Hello
While I understand this topic has been discussed before, could someone here assist me in finding a reliable product for bed bug extermination? I've had the unfortunate experience of wasting money on the ineffective Bedbugs treatment product. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you can provide. Thank you in advance.
Ashley