Help!!! I need advise...

Evon

My son is 2 months today. My hubby want to take dear son back to malaysia next month. But I am worry that dear son is still so young to take plane. Do anyone of your baby take plane when he/she is about 3 months plus? Doesn't anyone know that any place got sell anything that can cover the ears so that dear son's ears will not be so painful? Anyone, pls advise....

meiteoh

A baby can go flying after he/she is one week old. That's the general guideline.

I took my baby flying (from Paris to SG) when she was 1 mth old and then again when she was 3 mths plus (back to KL) and again (SG to Bali) at 5 mths plus. Oh, she'll be flying again next month (back to KL) - yes, Eva has flown A LOT. :p

IMHO, covering your baby's ears will not help with the air pressure. In fact, it can make things worse for some babies. Swallowing does - so if you can, feed her during take-off and landing. If possible, let the pilot know that there is a baby on board as cabin pressure can be adjusted and it's his responsibility. Ignore what the air hostess all say about it being centralised. My dad was a maintenance engineer with the Malaysian Air Force and after speaking to him about it, he told me that cabin pressure is definitely NOT centralised or fully automatic. A pilot can adjust the cabin pressure if he wants to. :)

Take off is always easier to handle than descend so do note that. The last time I flew with her, we managed to get her to sleep during a good part of the descend (it starts way before the announcement - at least 30 minutes before ETA) and afterwhich, when she started fussing, I waved her toy and she got distracted with it. So having a favourite toy at hand - one with lots of sound or a rattle - is good. She didn't cry at all and didn't even notice that we were descending until we landed! (Unlike the time when I flew with her at 3 mths plus - it was horrible! The pilot was so crappy!)

Last edited:

jasobias

yup..agree with meiteoh.On a long haul flight to usa..my baby didnt have probs with the pressure n wasnt crying at takeoff or landing.I was feeding her then guess tht helped.With my 2 boys too they never had tht problem.Distraction is another gd way.
My only concern on long haul flights is tht baby cld pick up some virus n get sick.I guarded her like a hawk...hahhah..no choice lah..tht probably doesnt do any good since its the same air circulating but it did give me some peace of mind.

Evon

A baby can go flying after he/she is one week old. That's the general guideline.

I took my baby flying (from Paris to SG) when she was 1 month old and then again when she was 3 mths plus (back to KL) and again (SG to Bali) at 5 mths plus. Oh, she'll be flying again next month (back to KL) - yes, Eva has flown A LOT. :p

IMHO, covering your baby's ears will not help with the air pressure. In fact, it can make things worse for some babies. Swallowing does - so if you can, feed her during take-off and landing. If possible, let the pilot know that there is a baby on board as cabin pressure can be adjusted and it's his responsibility. Ignore what the air hostess all say about it being centralised. My dad was a maintenance engineer with the Malaysian Air Force and after speaking to him about it, he told me that cabin pressure is definitely NOT centralised or fully automatic. A pilot can adjust the cabin pressure if he wants to. :)

Take off is always easier to handle than descend so do note that. The last time I flew with her, we managed to get her to sleep during a good part of the descend (it starts way before the announcement - at least 30 minutes before ETA) and afterwhich, when she started fussing, I waved her toy and she got distracted with it. So having a favourite toy at hand - one with lots of sound or a rattle - is good. She didn't cry at all and didn't even notice that we were descending until we landed! (Unlike the time when I flew with her at 3 mths plus - it was horrible! The pilot was so crappy!)

But how do I inform the pilot?

Evon

yup..agree with meiteoh.On a long haul flight to usa..my baby didnt have probs with the pressure n wasnt crying at takeoff or landing.I was feeding her then guess tht helped.With my 2 boys too they never had tht problem.Distraction is another good way.
My only concern on long haul flights is tht baby cld pick up some virus n get sick.I guarded her like a hawk...hahhah..no choice ..tht probably doesnt do any good since its the same air circulating but it did give me some peace of mind.

Thanks you

littlehelper

You can alert the cabin crew.
Actually its different for everykid.
Some are perfectly fine with it some no matter what you do they will scream their lungs out.
I went to Bali recently and there was this girl who was so happy the whole trip.
When the plane took off she went :" OFF WE GO ZOOOOOOOOOOM!"

beerbelly

i took my boy to HongKong and San Francisco when he was 5wks.

during take-off and landing, i latched him on and he had no problems.

if you are going to latch your bb or bottle feed, do note that some runways are very long and there could be air traffic delays, so dun do it too early. the best time would be when capt announces "crew to your take-off stations", and then the aircraft will turn into the runway for take-off.

like meiteoh said, landing is more tricky, especially you are flying to malaysia, coz of the short distance, depending on where to, aircraft will be flying at a lower altitude. you can get a bottle ready at least 50min before landing, and pop it in bb's mouth the moment your ears feel blocked. bb can use a pacifier during take-off and landing also. all these won't work well if bb has a blocked nose or ear/throat infection tho.

i have seen pax asking for cotton wool or ear plugs to stuff into their ears... but believe me, it doesn't work, i still see them squirming in pain/discomfort, hehe.