Help! Infant care centre or home baby sitter?

mrsmahadi

Hi mummies,
I have just given birth to a beautiful baby girl. She's almost a month old now. I will be back at work in Feb 2011 and am wondering whether to send her to infant care centre or to a home baby sitter.

For infant care centre am planning to send her to PCF little wings at J.west.
Cost: Deposit - SGD 1100
Registration - SGD 65
Insurance - SGD 3
(The abovementioned cannot use CDA)

Monthly - SGD 588 (after subsidy) exc. diapers and milk
(can use CDA)

As for home baby sitter, am still looking. Any recommendations?

Please help!

Hi mummies,
I have just given birth to a beautiful baby girl. She's almost a month old now. I will be back at work in Feb 2011 and am wondering whether to send her to infant care centre or to a home baby sitter.

For infant care centre am planning to send her to PCF little wings at J.west.
Cost: Deposit - SGD 1100
Registration - SGD 65
Insurance - SGD 3
(The abovementioned cannot use CDA)

Monthly - SGD 588 (after subsidy) exc. diapers and milk
(can use CDA)

As for home baby sitter, am still looking. Any recommendations?

Please help!
Congrats on ur newborn!:) I personally won't recommend infant care, if it really has to be the case, it will be the last resort.

I placed my first boy in infant care for a mth and he had a case of mild HFMD. He was 3 mth plus bk then. There were ard 10 babies and abt 3-4 caregivers , the caregivers were v nice and approachable, the only reason y i decided against infant care was after how i saw the babies sharing the toys in which they placed in their mouths... There was even one parent who just conveniently put his baby at the centre despite baby was having 38 degrees fever, just so that he could go for a jog. Of cos the caregiver immediately rejected him and asked him to bring baby to the doc.

So what im saying is that if u do decide to put baby in infant care or childcare, be prepared that baby may fall sick easily and mb often cos some parents still send their child to the centre and if the others have low immunity, they may just catch the virus. Of cos there are parents who have the mindset that its ok for their kids to fall sick as they may build immunity to that particular virus. But personally, as a parent, i feel heartache when he falls ill at such a tender age. U may want to wait for baby to be alittle bigger before u put them into such centres. Young babies falling sick often may mean inconvenience to u too.

As for nanny, make sure its someone reliable, best if its recommended by someone who have tried out the nanny.

mrsmahadi

Thank you so much for your reply. I heard about the falling ill part in infant care from the nurses at the hospital. Especially since my daughter is a preemie.

Do you have any recommendations for a good nanny?

diymummy

My son was in infant care from 3.5mths. My hubs had a really bad experience with nanny when he was a child so he was against the idea of a 1-to-1 baby sitter.

The falling ill part is true. My son was ill almost every mth. Another mummy recommended me some supplements for my son which was good coz my son hardly fell ill after. By then, my son was already 14 mths when I introduced him the supplements.

There're other pros as well for sending your child to a center. My son is pretty socialable. He doesn't really like strangers but when he sees other children, he would want to play with them. When he sees babies, he would want to sayang them. He also learnt to be pretty independent as the school does allow the kids to learn to feed themselves. My center also has gym classes for the children.

Just sharing my experience.

Michelle Tan

Someone working in infant care told me that her colleagues took up the job as a caregiver not because she loves babies but because she don't know what to do and can't find a job. So she don't care about the babies. She do not practise whatever she had been trained for. She handles the babies whichever way she wants or convenient for her. But of course she's not able to abuse the baby as there are other eyes around.

home baby sitter- it's true that you never know what will happen as it is a 1-to-1 babysitting.
infant care- baby will be sick every week or every month. My sister in law had to stop sending the baby to infant care as baby gets sick every week. Germs & bacteria spread around in the concealed area.

carol lim

Hi,

I also plan to send my bb to IFC next yr Feb. Personally, I dont feel safe to hire nanny becos she usually need to do house chores as well. Hence, she cannot give 100% attention to a bb who can start crawling around in the house. Afterall, the nanny's home does not design like a centre that has space for bb to move around freely..... :Dancing_wub:

Btw, anyone can recommend any centre in Sengkang? or share the experience of any centre?

mrsmahadi

I went down to PCF J.West (air-con). The environment is nice, clean and homely. There is a playgym and sleeping area for the baby. Am convinced to send there but MIL objects as she worries about me and baby commuting to and from there. :err:

diamond25

I went down to PCF J.West (air-con). The environment is nice, clean and homely. There is a playgym and sleeping area for the baby. Am convinced to send there but MIL objects as she worries about me and baby commuting to and from there. :err:
Hi MRSMAHADI,

Did you send your daughter to the centre?