Help mi pls!!! nappy or diapers???

Fiona73

I learnt it from my sister inlaw. She removes the inner skin (the gel portion) of the diaper and keep the outer layer. And use it with nappy during the day. It serve as the outer skin for the nappy and also enjoy the benefit for using the nappy.

I remember my No. 1 can poo up to 6 times (breastfeed baby), therefore it quite costly if we use diaper. We use nappy liner, it will help to prevent the nappy being soiled by the poo, it also make washing much more easier (I use baby detergent - Kodomo, dun really need to scrub, just soak and rinse)

I think I will do the same for my no. 2. Nappy during day, Diaper at night or out.

Huishan

Haha.. I am going to be a new mummy soon and this thread is alot of help. My own mother and my mother in law like insist I use the traditional nappy way. I am like thinking to myself, I am sure diapers were invented for modern reasons. So I already told my husband, I am going to mix the usuage for both. Alot of friends recommend Huggies, so I bought some new born and S sizes. Also bought alot of nappy liners, the brands I chose is from tollyjoy and I also bought a slightly more expensive one from mothercare retail.

I am also afraid the traditional needles may accidently poke baby, so I am going to buy pins with safety lock. I've seen them in mothercare retails, but quite expensive to me personally, 5 pins like 5 plus dollars.
u dun have to use needle de... nappy pants has gt blanco de...

Renzie

I use 2 diapers everynight, she'll get uncomfortable if her diaper gets too wet. But then she also poo at night, so I'll wait til she poos then I change her diaper.

The traditional pins, took me a while to get used to it, in the beginning take me forever to pin her diaper and she's screaming her head off (she doesn't like wet diapers and during diaper change).

I use tollyjoy and pigeon diaper liner, not for any reason, but usually because they are on sale. tollyjoy diaper liner is slightly bigger than pigeon's, my baby is small thus her nappies have to fold slightly smaller, and tollyjoy's can get too big for it, but now she's bigger, can use both. I prefer tollyjoy's though.

We use diaper at night so that she can sleep longer and don't need to keep waking up due to wet nappies. As for cloth diaper, I use it after she poos, as she only poo twice a day, and usually at a certain time of day, so its much easier to estimate.

My in-laws bought about 25-30 nappies. Though it sounds alot, there were a couple of times we ran out of it. she can go through about 10 nappies in a day if I don't use cloth diapers. And that's considering we use diapers at night !

I don't even bother to scrub the diapers unless soiled. I just throw all into the washing machine. If soiled, soak it, scrub it then throw into the rest of the baby laundry.

Mummy to Baby V

Hi Mummies, I am a full-time Mum who cloth-diapers my boy day, night and outdoor for the past 14 months & counting. Modern cloth diapers are very absorbent and easy to wash. Breastfed newborns may need many diaper changes initially; my boy poo-ed up to 11 times a day! After a while, they may poo less frequently -- my boy reduced it to once in 10 days, which is still normal for breastfed babies because all the milk has been absorbed by the body.

- I wash my boy's cloth diapers with his clothes, handkerchiefs, etc. and my husband & my home clothes in a full load daily. Efficient use of water & electricity.

- Poo: spray off into toilet bowl, put in dry pail. After 1-2 days, wash. Dry under sun. No stain at all.

- Detergent: ironically, modern cloth diapers will not work if the usual amt of recommended detergent is used (detegent build-up). Therefore, we can only use 1/4 - 1/2 of recommended amt. 1 litre detergent lasts us 4-5 months! Definitely not an extra cost.

For more info on cloth diapering a newborn, read Successfully Cloth-Diapering a Newborn |

Another article: Why I Love Cloth Diapers |

Hope you'd enjoy modern cloth diapering! :)

mrs_eg

Hi Mummies, I am a full-time Mum who cloth-diapers my boy day, night and outdoor for the past 14 months & counting. Modern cloth diapers are very absorbent and easy to wash. Breastfed newborns may need many diaper changes initially; my boy poo-ed up to 11 times a day! After a while, they may poo less frequently -- my boy reduced it to once in 10 days, which is still normal for breastfed babies because all the milk has been absorbed by the body.

- I wash my boy's cloth diapers with his clothes, handkerchiefs, etc. and my husband & my home clothes in a full load daily. Efficient use of water & electricity.

- Poo: spray off into toilet bowl, put in dry pail. After 1-2 days, wash. Dry under sun. No stain at all.

- Detergent: ironically, modern cloth diapers will not work if the usual amt of recommended detergent is used (detegent build-up). Therefore, we can only use 1/4 - 1/2 of recommended amt. 1 litre detergent lasts us 4-5 months! Definitely not an extra cost.

For more info on cloth diapering a newborn, read Successfully Cloth-Diapering a Newborn |

Another article: Why I Love Cloth Diapers |

Hope you'd enjoy modern cloth diapering! :)

Hi.. was reading ur articles... they are very informative... :)

Im thinking of buying Bum****... But I duno how many of these modern cloth diapers I will need... can you advice? Will (let's say) 12 inserts be enuf for breastfed baby?

And also... I was reading that the brand u are using have special way of folding (like a fan fold for breastfed poo)... isit suggesting the breastfed poo will come out in a 'Blast'? I know the poo will be watery... so I really wonder if the Bum**** will be able to contain it and not leak...

Oh ya... the brands of cloth diapers u are using.. are their inserts inside a "compartment' of the cover? which means not in contact with skin? Or isit like the traditional way where we clothe the baby with the cloth diaper first then put on the diaper cover?

Last edited:

xicloudix

Hi.. was reading your articles... they are very informative... :)

Im thinking of buying Bum****... But I dont know how many of these modern cloth diapers I will need... can you advice? Will (let's say) 12 inserts be enuf for breastfed baby?

And also... I was reading that the brand you are using have special way of folding (like a fan fold for breastfed poo)... isit suggesting the breastfed poo will come out in a 'Blast'? I know the poo will be watery... so I really wonder if the Bum**** will be able to contain it and not leak...

Oh ya... the brands of cloth diapers you are using.. are their inserts inside a "compartment' of the cover? which means not in contact with skin? Or isit like the traditional way where we clothe the baby with the cloth diaper first then put on the diaper cover?

12 inserts are not enough... juz yesterday, my 2 mth old baby (not on breast feed) and he did not poo.... juz pee only.... already used 10 inserts... and inserts are harder to dry.... so end up supplment with diapers...

Cloth Diapering 101 The Most Asked Questions
this link is from bumwear, inside they have this FAQ on how many cloth diapers u need ( full time or part time)

modern diapers usually have this compartment where u putin the inserts.... but i know of some mummies who do not put into the compartment and place it on top instead.. or they simply place the insert on normal traditional diapers, to use like the traditional cloth diapers, only thing u no need to fold and its more absorbent

Mummy to Baby V

Hi.. was reading your articles... they are very informative... :)

Im thinking of buying Bum****... But I dont know how many of these modern cloth diapers I will need... can you advice? Will (let's say) 12 inserts be enuf for breastfed baby?

And also... I was reading that the brand you are using have special way of folding (like a fan fold for breastfed poo)... isit suggesting the breastfed poo will come out in a 'Blast'? I know the poo will be watery... so I really wonder if the Bum**** will be able to contain it and not leak...

Oh ya... the brands of cloth diapers you are using.. are their inserts inside a "compartment' of the cover? which means not in contact with skin? Or isit like the traditional way where we clothe the baby with the cloth diaper first then put on the diaper cover?
Hi Mrs Eg, breastfed babies may poo frequently and explosively in the early weeks or months. Since many diaper changes are needed, using traditional square nappies or prefolds with a diaper cover would be economical. Add a fleece diaper liner (or disposable liner) for stay-dry feeling.

Yes, there is a fan fold to hold the poo. Personally, I used the common Angel fold with a good diaper cover (e.g. Bummis) that holds explosive poo in very well, at the thighs and the back.

Good quality modern cloth diapers would be able to contain explosive poo quite well, provided they fit your baby snugly. One-size cloth diapers may fit baby better when he is at least 3-5kg, depending on the brand. In the first 1-2 months, most babies are still quite small, so traditional square nappies with S or XS diaper cover may work better.

Pocket diapers are those with a pocket (compartment) for the inserts. For pocket diapers, inserts must go into the pocket so that the stay-dry cloth layer is next to baby's skin. Laying a microfibre insert next to baby's skin could cause dryness to the skin as it absorbs moisture very well. So far, most of the cloth diapers I have reviewed are pocket diapers.

If the diaper is a All-in-One or All-in-Two, then there is no pocket; the absorbent fabric is simply laid on top of the diaper 'shell'.

Number of diapers & inserts depends on a few factors:
- pocket diapers: must replace diaper & insert at every change
- Prefolds with diaper cover or All-in-Twos: replace prefold or absorbent cloth at every change; replace diaper cover/shell only when wet or soiled
- laundry frequency: need less if you wash every day
- weather: need more during wet season
- baby's output: need more if baby is a heavy-wetter or poos frequently
- full or part-time cloth-diapering: more needed if full-time

What I prepared for the first few months:
(Note: my boy is a heavywetter and used to poo up to 11 times a day.)
- 30 traditional square nappies, 4 diaper covers, 4 fleece liners
- 10 Small pocket diapers for day
- 3 Small fleece pocket diapers for night
- 12 microfibre inserts, 6 hemp inserts (for night use, combine with microfibre)
(Alternatively, one-size instead of Small diapers may be used. Personally, I prefer sized diapers for a good fit and I plan to use them over several children.)
The above allowed us to go 100% cloth-diapering.

As mentioned, if inserts are still not dry on a rainy day, I simply fold the traditional square nappy and insert into the pocket. Very absorbent and economical. :)

mrs_eg

Hi Mrs Eg, breastfed babies may poo frequently and explosively in the early weeks or months. Since many diaper changes are needed, using traditional square nappies or prefolds with a diaper cover would be economical. Add a fleece diaper liner (or disposable liner) for stay-dry feeling.

Yes, there is a fan fold to hold the poo. Personally, I used the common Angel fold with a good diaper cover (e.g. Bummis) that holds explosive poo in very well, at the thighs and the back.

Good quality modern cloth diapers would be able to contain explosive poo quite well, provided they fit your baby snugly. One-size cloth diapers may fit baby better when he is at least 3-5kg, depending on the brand. In the first 1-2 months, most babies are still quite small, so traditional square nappies with S or XS diaper cover may work better.

Pocket diapers are those with a pocket (compartment) for the inserts. For pocket diapers, inserts must go into the pocket so that the stay-dry cloth layer is next to baby's skin. Laying a microfibre insert next to baby's skin could cause dryness to the skin as it absorbs moisture very well. So far, most of the cloth diapers I have reviewed are pocket diapers.

If the diaper is a All-in-One or All-in-Two, then there is no pocket; the absorbent fabric is simply laid on top of the diaper 'shell'.
Thank you soooooo very much for this extensive explanation...

But my apologies, cos Im still very new to the terms...
WHat are "prefolds"?
One-size cloth diapers meaning like bumwears and moo moo kow? which can be used from new born to about 2 yrs?

And also... about using pocket diapers, are you trying to say that the inserts HAVE to go inside the pockets otherwise baby's skin will become too dry?

In addition... the fan fold and the angel fold etc... only applies to All-in-One or All-in-Two kind of diapers right?

Anyway, I have a problem trying to picture what All-in-One or All-in-Two is like... I only saw two brands of modern diapers so far... Bumwears and Moo Moo Kow.. and they are both pocket diapers... :) So what are the difference btween All-in-One/Two and Traditional Sq Diapers since both have their inner cloth in contact with baby's skin and the 'diaper shell' outside?

Number of diapers & inserts depends on a few factors:
- pocket diapers: must replace diaper & insert at every change
- Prefolds with diaper cover or All-in-Twos: replace prefold or absorbent cloth at every change; replace diaper cover/shell only when wet or soiled
- laundry frequency: need less if you wash every day
- weather: need more during wet season
- baby's output: need more if baby is a heavy-wetter or poos frequently
- full or part-time cloth-diapering: more needed if full-time

What I prepared for the first few months:
(Note: my boy is a heavywetter and used to poo up to 11 times a day.)
- 30 traditional square nappies, 4 diaper covers, 4 fleece liners
- 10 Small pocket diapers for day
- 3 Small fleece pocket diapers for night
- 12 microfibre inserts, 6 hemp inserts (for night use, combine with microfibre)
(Alternatively, one-size instead of Small diapers may be used. Personally, I prefer sized diapers for a good fit and I plan to use them over several children.)
The above allowed us to go 100% cloth-diapering.

As mentioned, if inserts are still not dry on a rainy day, I simply fold the traditional square nappy and insert into the pocket. Very absorbent and economical. :)
You also mentioned... "pocket diapers: must replace diaper & insert at every change",... You dont't mean that it mus be changed at every Pee right??
Cos I was demostrated by a sales staff that there is no need to change each time the baby pee... the pee will seep thru the shell and into the pocket inserts so that the part that is in contact with the baby's skin stays dry longer...

Fleece pocket Diapers and Pocket Diapers... hmmm I suppose a single brand dont come out with these different types of diapers rite? (frm what I know Bumwrs and MM_Kow has different materials)

Btw.. any idea where to get Fleece Liners?

Thanx once again for your kind sharing of experience!!!! you are champs! :red:

Mummy to Baby V

You are most welcome. Replies in blue below:

Thank you soooooo very much for this extensive explanation...

But my apologies, cos Im still very new to the terms...
What are "prefolds"?
Prefolds are pre-folded and sewn cloths into rectangles, with a few layers. They can be folded easily into thirds or into your preferred fold, laid on a diaper cover and used. More expensive than traditional square nappies, with added convenience.

One-size cloth diapers meaning like bumwears and moo moo kow? which can be used from new born to about 2 yrs?
One-size usually means there is adjustable rise. It usually suits 3-5kg onwards (about 1-3 months old), depending on the brand's cutting. Babies who are too petite and toddlers who are too big will need sized diapers.

And also... about using pocket diapers, are you trying to say that the inserts HAVE to go inside the pockets otherwise baby's skin will become too dry?
Yes, especially microfibre inserts. The pocket is meant for inserting the inserts, so do use it. This also allow the stay-dry surface such as suedecloth or microfleece to do its job.

In addition... the fan fold and the angel fold etc... only applies to All-in-One or All-in-Two kind of diapers right?
Folding of square nappies / prefolds is for use with diaper covers. Neither for All-in-One (AIO) nor All-in-Two (AI2).

Anyway, I have a problem trying to picture what All-in-One or All-in-Two is like... I only saw two brands of modern diapers so far... Bumwears and Moo Moo Kow.. and they are both pocket diapers... :) So what are the difference btween All-in-One/Two and Traditional Sq Diapers since both have their inner cloth in contact with baby's skin and the 'diaper shell' outside?
AlO is already a complete diaper by itself, the absorbent soaker is commonly sewn onto the diaper or removable by snaps. It may or may not have a stay-dry layer attached. During a diaper change, the entire diaper must be replaced. Sample of AIO diaper is the Bottombumpers Side Snapping AIO Cloth Diapers reviewed here.

A12 comes with its own absorbent soaker (usually snap-in) -- if not soiled, the AI2 cover can be re-used a few times by changing the soaker only. The soaker may or may not have a stay-dry layer attached. Example of AI2 is GroVia. (The thigh cutting is small, so my boy has not tried it.)

Square nappies / prefolds / soaker + diaper cover is an economical system. The nappies / prefolds need some folding and you need to add your own stay-dry layer (fleece or disposable liner.) I find this system good for breastfed newborns who poo very frequently since high absorbency is not a top priority. In the first few days, the dark meconium poo may stain more pricey modern cloth diapers, so using this economical system is better. It is also a good backup system later on when modern cloth diapers are not dry on a wet day or Mummy is too busy to do the laundry.
- Good news is that there are one-size diaper covers recently launched. Example is the Flip System. We have tried the one-size Flip cover, quite good. Not sure how well it fits a newborn though.

You also mentioned... "pocket diapers: must replace diaper & insert at every change",... You dont't mean that it mus be changed at every Pee right??
Cos I was demostrated by a sales staff that there is no need to change each time the baby pee... the pee will seep thru the shell and into the pocket inserts so that the part that is in contact with the baby's skin stays dry longer...
That's right, change every 2-3 hours, when totally soaked, leaking occurs or there is poo.

Fleece pocket Diapers and Pocket Diapers... hmmm I suppose a single brand dont come out with these different types of diapers rite? (frm what I know Bumwrs and MM_Kow has different materials)
Fleece pocket diapers mean the outside layer is made of breathable fleece. Popular options are GAD Fleece Pocket Diapers and Drybees Fleece Pocket Diapers reviewed here and here.

Both Moo Moo Kow and Bumwear have PUL as outer waterproof layer.
MMK: stay-dry layer is suedecloth
BW: stay-dry layer is microfleece

Btw.. any idea where to get Fleece Liners?
At Whoopeekiddies
Or use Stay-Dry doublers: add a bit more absorbency and more pricey

Thanx once again for your kind sharing of experience!!!! you are champs! :red:

mrs_eg

Really really thank you for ur explanation... Really really appreciate it!!!! :) Im super impressed with your detailed clarifications here! Thank u once again MieVee

Mummy to Baby V

Really really thank you for your explanation... Really really appreciate it!!!! :) Im super impressed with your detailed clarifications here! Thank you once again MieVee
You're most welcome. :) I also learnt from other Mums and am happy just to see more babies in cloth diapers.

Hafizah Azhar

Hi all,

Im new here and will be a first time mum this Oct. I was browsing thru the forum and this thread catches my attention. Im very interested in the AI2 (grovia) system. Are there any other brands and where in singapore can I purchase them?

Thank you!!

Rgrds,
Fiza