Help! Red line in baby's eye

megtan

This evening, my 2-month old boy woke up suddenly from his nap with shrieking cries and then I saw his eye (the white part) has a red line. Not sure if it's blood vessel or scratch/tear. I suspect he could have poked/scratched his eye with his finger/finger nail.

After I soothe him, he seems to be ok and later playing happily... but the red line is still there.

Any mummies with similar experience? Should I bring baby to PD to check it out?

megtan

Brought baby to see PD this morning. It's broken blood vessel. Cause may be due to crying too hard or scratched by fingernail. According to PD, it's common and the red line will go away in a couple of weeks, no need any eye drop. Unless the redness spreads and he shows sign of illness.

shiyi

my bb oso kena when she is 1wks old..took her to the pd but she dun wanna open her eyes..cant force open oso.. but after 2wks it automatically fade away

cocraze

This evening, my 2-month old boy woke up suddenly from his nap with shrieking cries and then I saw his eye (the white part) has a red line. Not sure if it's blood vessel or scratch/tear. I suspect he could have poked/scratched his eye with his finger/finger nail.

After I soothe him, he seems to be ok and later playing happily... but the red line is still there.

Any mummies with similar experience? Should I bring baby to pediatrician to check it out?
Sorry, just saw your message. My girl, now coming to 3 months, had the red line some weeks back but I wasn't sure when it first started appearing. I also didn't do anything to it or consult a paed. It just went away on its own.

My girl always cries quite vehemently almost daily, either kinda colicky or just like to vent her "Da Xiao Jie" temper. Thanks for sharing the paed's advise, cos Im sure the red line will someday appear again.

Phoebii Cheng

Brought baby to see pediatrician this morning. It's broken blood vessel. Cause may be due to crying too hard or scratched by fingernail. According to pediatrician, it's common and the red line will go away in a couple of weeks, no need any eye drop. Unless the redness spreads and he shows sign of illness.
Hi megtan,

Now that you know what the PD says, next time if it happens again don't need to panic:tlaugh:but hey it won't happen again ya?

megtan

Hi Phoebii,
Thanks! Yep, now I know, yesterday night so worried. Now dilemma whether to put on mittens for him or not. He's starting to feel and grab things now, if put on mitten dunno will hinder his progress. But scared he scratch and poke his eyes again. He got some scratch marks on his face already, lucky cut his nails so just red red.